Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wide stereo bar for omnis?  (Read 3028 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
wide stereo bar for omnis?
« on: November 12, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »
the wide stereo bars (3 feet wide or so) i have seen for spaced omnis, like the one from AES, are quite expensive.  does anyone know of an affordable bar around 3 ft or 1 meter wide, or an inexpensive way to build a decent looking bar of this size?  thanks.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: wide stereo bar for omnis?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 02:35:02 PM »
I went to the local harware store and bought (1) 3.5' foot length of aluminum about 1" wide and with enough thickness to hold the weight. I cut it into three equal lengths. Drilled holes small enough for some bolts with wing nuts to make "wings". Drilled (2) 1/2" holes on the end pieces for mounting shock mounts. Drilled one 1/2" hole in the middle piece to mount on my stand. It works great.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »
how about putting one mic on the mount and using a clamp and extension bar for the other?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »
danke chuck - can you post a photo or two?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:39:47 PM »
danke chuck - can you post a photo or two?

I'm at work now.
I can post a few pics on Saturday. I'm taping tonight... :)

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:08:28 PM »
A hockey stick works wonders ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 04:01:04 PM »
Very cheap, easy, and pretty high quality solution (or at least not ghetto):

Get an Atlas TB-58X extension tube ($9 at markertek.com), an Atlas AD-5B  5/8" female to female coupler ($4.50), and a clamp if you don't have it, like the TecNec clamp MPC-10 ($16 from markertek).  Less than $30 in parts.

Set up your stand, use the AD-5B coupler to attach the clamp to your stand, 5/8" stud of the stand to the 5/8" stud of the clamp (the AD-5B holds them together).  You've now got a stand with a clamp on top, but unlike the usual way of clamping, you now have the clamping "mouth" available.  Put the TB-58X extension tube into the clamp (set-up in the middle of the tube) and tighten the clamp down.  You've now effectively got a very large t-bar on top of your stand, and there are 5/8" threadings on both sides to accept mics.  The extension bar is only 31", but once you add mic clips or shockmounts, you'll get a 3' spread.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »
Wes Dooley charges an arm and a leg for his 1 metre bar, but it does have some nice features. Just not enough features to justify the cost.

I made my own using a 1 x 2 piece of oak. I would not recommend using pine or any other softwood since it will get beat around and you'll be replacing it every few shows if you're not careful.

I cut a half-circle into one side. This fits around the mic stand. I also put a dado cut into a small piece of wood that slides over the 1x2. This is used along with a c-clamp to attach the bar to my mic stand. I painted the wood black and attached two mic adapters, one on each side. I also stapled some velcro straps on it to tie up the cables. I've been using the same setup for about 2 years now and haven't had a lick of problems with it.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 08:19:55 AM »
I've got the $47 Sabra quad mic T bar.  Kicks ass.  Its 30cm long, I think.  w/my shock mounts sticking out to the sides, it creates a nearly 2.5' space, which i'm finding produces a very nice soundstage when I run omnis.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 01:29:05 PM »
This is the bar I made.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com