Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00b question - SP-CMC-4s and Phantom Power - ??  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
n00b question - SP-CMC-4s and Phantom Power - ??
« on: January 14, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »
Wow, I feel like a n00b right now. I'm wondering if I can connect my Sound Pro SP-CMC-4s into the front XLR / 1/4 jacks on the front of my UA5 and power them with phantom power as opposed to normal battery box power. Will that damage the mics, will they work at all? The other option I have is to just go through the battery box, then into the RCA jacks on the back of the unit. Which do you think will sound better?

As much as I love my Oktava MC012s, I'm starting to feel they are too muddy, I need something much brighter for this show I'm recording tomorrow night, and I think my SP-CMC-4s will do a better job.

Thanks in advance for any input, and if anyone in the Chicago area is looking for a good night of taping, this band Stellar Road will be playing at Joes on Weed Street Saturday night. Great band, influences include The Dead, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, etc. Controlled jams, not too spacey, but damn tight. MP3s are available at their site, FLACs are available on mine.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: n00b question - SP-CMC-4s and Phantom Power - ??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:44:56 PM »
OK whatever you do DO NOT APPLY DIRECT PHANTOM POWER TO THE MICS, I almost did this myself and killed mine.  You need to and mini xlr plugs on the end and then use the samson PM4, or at8533 (i think) phantom power adaptors on the ends to make it work with phantom power.   Also plugging them into the back wont do too mcuh either.
mics & cameras

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:15:46 AM »
Glad I asked first - +T

thierryhenry

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 11:19:54 AM »
You can send your SP mics back to SP and they mod they with Phantom Power with the adapters you need for like $80.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:29:09 AM »
OK whatever you do DO NOT APPLY DIRECT PHANTOM POWER TO THE MICS, I almost did this myself and killed mine.  You need to and mini xlr plugs on the end and then use the samson PM4, or at8533 (i think) phantom power adaptors on the ends to make it work with phantom power.   Also plugging them into the back wont do too mcuh either.

You cannot use those mics with phantom power until the "unmod" has been performed on them.  You can send them to SP for them to rework the phantom power option, or you can do the work yourself (search for unmod on this site).  And then you would also need the phantom power adaptors.

Your only option right now with the UA-5 is to run them through the RCA in's on the back (using batt box power).
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com