Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Toslink connectors  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Toslink connectors
« on: February 10, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »
I'm running UA-5>jb3.  I've just ordered a Phoenix Gold optical cable from partsexpress.com.  I hopped on over to connectexpress.com hoping to pick up a few right angle/mini adaptors (as recommended by others on this forum).  BUT, they require a $15 minimum purchase, and my two parts don't meet that.  Does anybody know of another decent  online place where I can get decent adaptors?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Re: Toslink connectors
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:24:20 PM »
I bought a couple of new mini to toslink adaptors on Ebay.  Good quality at a low price.  Can't recall the details now, but I'm sure you can find them.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:51:43 PM »
Check www.amazon.com.  I bought a set of right angles that got a round the $15 minimum. 

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the help so far.  Amazon only has the right angle toslink>toslink, not the one that ends w/ miniplug.  I couldn't find anything useful on ebay.  Any more thoughts?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:38:34 PM »
Any electronic stores near you? Even Radio Shack should have something. Avoids shipping at least. Or, find someother parts you may need in the future to get over the $15, maybe buy a few of the adaptors incase one gets lost, or breaks, or whatever.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »
Sweet, I ended up going with trianglecables.com  -they look like decent adaptors, but a little more pricey ($5 each) and no minimum order amount.

(and I don't think Radio Shack carries those adaptors).

Thanks all!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 08:26:41 AM »
No RA's that I saw, but they do carry Tos > Mini.  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1584

Not basing anything on quality, etc, just availabllity. Just trying to help.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 10:55:26 AM »
After my recent experiences, I would recommend not using right angle toslink adapters. I've botched some recordings with them cuz they alter the signal based on how much they're swiveled.

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »
I'll second that. Thinking that's what botched my Ratdog pull last week. I bought a few off ebay a month ago. they seem to fit ok, but yeah, they swivel way too much. It's actually tough to connect the toslink end into the UA-5 because it keeps moving. Anyway, just got a new cable from soundprofessionals with RA on both ends. The new one does swivel, but with plenty of tension. Only moves when you want it to.

jimmc

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »
After my recent experiences, I would recommend not using right angle toslink adapters. I've botched some recordings with them cuz they alter the signal based on how much they're swiveled.

What kind of glitches are you getting? I have been using Rat Shack right angle connectors on both ends of my UA-5>JB3 setup, and the last two shows I taped were riddled w/ clicks and digi-pops. Is this what was happening to you guys as well? I might have to run some tests w/ and w/o the right angle connectors to see if this is the problem.
TIA,
Jim

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 09:42:45 PM »
this is the one i use(sourced by skalinder, i think) with the phoenix gold.  i've got to fight to get them apart.  never had any problems

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=102&sku=40017
we all live downstream.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 01:08:51 AM »

What kind of glitches are you getting? I have been using Rat Shack right angle connectors on both ends of my UA-5>JB3 setup, and the last two shows I taped were riddled w/ clicks and digi-pops. Is this what was happening to you guys as well? I might have to run some tests w/ and w/o the right angle connectors to see if this is the problem.
TIA,
Jim

Yeah, that's exactly what was happening. I taped a few shows since without using the adapter and everything is fine. I'm gonna pick up the SP RA cable... it's really a no-brainer I think.

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 03:02:05 AM »
I characterized mine as static and drop outs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com