Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: smaller case for 480's?  (Read 8867 times)

radioboy1977

• Trade Count: (0)
smaller case for 480's?
« on: February 17, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
hey all,
right now i'm keeping my 480's in a pelican 1050.  it works great, but it's too big to fit into my gear bag.  i'd rather not have to get a bigger bag, so can anyone suggest something a little smaller and less deep than the pelican case to keep the 480's in?  thanks!

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
Re: smaller case for 480's?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 07:38:17 PM »
Jef O I have a small fishing fly box I got at walmart for like $2 it fits the 480s with the caps removed and there are 5 slots in the center row for 2 blocks of foam then 2 caps(wrapped in plastic baggie)  I'll try to get a pic of it.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

radioboy1977

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 07:40:19 PM »
Jef O I have a small fishing fly box I got at walmart for like $2 it fits the 480s with the caps removed and there are 5 slots in the center row for 2 blocks of foam then 2 caps(wrapped in plastic baggie)  I'll try to get a pic of it.

thanks will!  i'd apreciate some pics.

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:54:32 PM »
here hope this helps it's a plano box

radioboy1977

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »
looks like a definite option.  another T in 12 ;D

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 07:58:02 PM »
werd backatcha :)

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:20 PM »
I don't keep em in there permanant just for travel to shows and I am sure you can get your cut outs to look better than mine I think i was drunk and playing with my cutco super shears :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 08:05:58 PM »
here hope this helps it's a plano box

damn will, those are the most beat up 480's ive ever seen :P the printing on them looks like 460's since theyre so scratched up :P

as long as they sound good tho

personally, i have kept mine in a pelican or similar style case and only have 2 VERY minor scratches on either mic, ya prolly cxant even find em
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
thanks for pissing in my milkshake bean >:(  ;)

I got em this way used.  I try to take care of them.  who the fuck cares about the paint?  Maybe I'll sand em down and paint Shure or some other crap mic name like Tandy or daewoo. ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »
thanks for pissing in my milkshake bean >:( ;)

I got em this way used. I try to take care of them. who the fuck cares about the paint? Maybe I'll sand em down and paint Shure or some other crap mic name like Tandy or daewoo. ;D

im just bustin balls bud ;) i wouldnt do that to anyone i didnt know well, only team p-burgh ;)

sand em down and put WILL on em ;D

im just super anal bout that stuff, actaully, maybe ive been lucky, cause im usually buzzed taping and havnet put many scratches on or for that matter, fucked anythiong up (knock on wood)

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »
I've got mine in the 1050 as well. Although it's quite big for the gear bag (aka:pack back). But, oh well, I'd like to keep these as pristine as I can. Well, that's the plan anyway. I really need to tape more  ::)

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 07:45:25 AM »
how about the cigar case option for the bodies and film cans for the caps?
we all live downstream.

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
tupperware w/ pick and pluck foam.  doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 10:09:46 AM »
Flambeau, dustin sent this along w/ the 481's when i got em.  I say hit the bait shop and see what you can find

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 11:53:21 AM »
ding ding ding
I think we have a winner!

Nice Fozzy!

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 12:57:44 PM »
ding ding ding

Nice Fozzy!

Yea i think they had the akg's in mind  ;D  It is nice and small and fits in a little pouch on the inside of my bag to hold it in place.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

radioboy1977

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
ding ding ding

Nice Fozzy!

i agree.  i think i'll hit wally world and target on the way home to see what i can turn up.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 03:12:54 AM »
i am really not trying to fluff pelican cases, but damn, theyre super nice jef, id keep the 1050 and just deal w/ it, i mean honestly, what has better protection than a pelican case? NOTHING

when you have almost a couple grand in mics, why not keep them protected as possible ??? the pelican cases do JUST that ;)

seems silly to me to spend 5 bucks on protective storage for mics that are a grand a pair for one set of capsules almost :)

everything i own, i try to get the best, i mean we spend such $ on big things, its sometimes the small things that count JUST AS MUCH ;)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 05:40:01 AM »
Those pelicans are clunky.  Unless you plan to tape on a boat or a sub, they are overkill.  These guys are looking for something to bring the mics into shows.  If I had a deluxe case for every piece of gear I have to bring to shows, I'd have serious back problems.  I like simple solutions to problems, tupperware/pluck foam is good since the tupperware is airtight.  Okay, it doesn't have the pressure release valve like the pelican but it will fit handlily in a small backpack with your pre, a/d, cables, shock mounts, t-bar and deck/HD recorder.  But don't ask me, I am not getting out and about here in Japan with taping allowed gear...it is all stealth in these 'Yakusa protected' nightclubs, they don't give a rats-ass about bands being cool with it.

ANDY

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 11:47:38 AM »
I understand what you are saying, but I have to agree with Bean on this one. You mics are probably your most expensive investment and most definitely the most fragile. Its totall worth it to me to keep thoes bad boys in a good case. Its doesnt have to be a pelican, but at least somthing with some foam.

Offline Mingle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Fozzy's Flambeau case in the pic is the Flambeau 2003 Tuff 'Tainer.  I picked one up online at www.flambeaustore.com  You can find it under  Fishing > Small Storage.  A great AKG 480 storage solution for $2.79 plus shipping!  You can't beat that.  Add a little foam to keep the mics secure, and you're set.

-Nic
AKG 480 ck61/ck63 > V3 > M1 or iriver H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 01:51:23 PM »
When I was running 480's, I purchased the MBHO cases from Sonic Sense.  I think they were like $30 - 40 for the pair, but were MUCH smaller than the cases AKG sends with the mics. 
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »
The mini infinite divider from the Container Store is great.  It has three long compartments and moveable vertical dividers that you can adjust.  It will hold both bodies (caps removed), and 4 caps in their own individual compartments.  I cut some thin foam and lined the bottom of the box to take up a little space so they don't rattle around.  At 7x4x1.5 is a very compact solution.  I used to have a pic from when I sold my AKGs...if I can find it, I'll post a link.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=60124&CATID=230
Oade preamp museum curator

AdamZ

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 10:28:44 AM »
i am really not trying to fluff pelican cases, but damn, theyre super nice jef, id keep the 1050 and just deal w/ it, i mean honestly, what has better protection than a pelican case? NOTHING

when you have almost a couple grand in mics, why not keep them protected as possible ??? the pelican cases do JUST that ;)

seems silly to me to spend 5 bucks on protective storage for mics that are a grand a pair for one set of capsules almost :)

everything i own, i try to get the best, i mean we spend such $ on big things, its sometimes the small things that count JUST AS MUCH ;)
I want to chime in a bit here. My Akg 451's are from 1992 and still wail like when I bought them. After going through lots of used shit from EBay I can conclude the following: the bodies can take a bit of a bang here and there and be OK (except for cosmetics which may be a detriment if resale value is important to you) but the caps need to be babied. I dont know about the 480 stuff, but for mine CKx series, the caps have a mylar layer on the front edge of the capsule inside the tube, these peel off after time and jostling promotes peeling. You'll hear a crackle if you shake them a bit while hooked in to record. Ive rebuilt CK1 caps from dead ones and they just need as much TLC as they can get for longevity sake.
Keep your fishing lures in plano cases and put your capsules in some high density foam. I bought pads and pads of it from a Pelican Foam provider for cheap and cut my own foam for whatever case and gear I have that needs it. My caps love me for it.
AdaMZ

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
Flambeau, dustin sent this along w/ the 481's when i got em.  I say hit the bait shop and see what you can find

just wanted to say thanks for this suggestion! picked one up last week for my 480/ck63's, threw some foam in there with some double-sided tape, and it works like a charm!
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Ray76

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »
Im wanderin, since im around nothing but orchestra folks a lot, how a flute case would work/?Or piccolo??Look the perfect size to me.

Ray

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »
I sleep better having $1000+ worth of gear air/Moister tight while storing if nothing else
My pelican is Much bigger than the 1050 But its all together
- Batts,Shocks,screens,cables in another small bag..

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 06:04:18 PM »

I want to chime in a bit here. My Akg 451's are from 1992 and still wail like when I bought them. After going through lots of used shit from EBay I can conclude the following: the bodies can take a bit of a bang here and there and be OK (except for cosmetics which may be a detriment if resale value is important to you) but the caps need to be babied. I dont know about the 480 stuff, but for mine CKx series, the caps have a mylar layer on the front edge of the capsule inside the tube, these peel off after time and jostling promotes peeling. You'll hear a crackle if you shake them a bit while hooked in to record. Ive rebuilt CK1 caps from dead ones and they just need as much TLC as they can get for longevity sake.
Keep your fishing lures in plano cases and put your capsules in some high density foam. I bought pads and pads of it from a Pelican Foam provider for cheap and cut my own foam for whatever case and gear I have that needs it. My caps love me for it.
AdaMZ

agreed, why put 1k+ mics into a 2 dollar plano case

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »

AdaMZ

agreed, why put 1k+ mics into a 2 dollar plano case
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

AdamZ

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »
That quote from Sherlock is great. I feel the same way. The other piece I may as well share here is to leave the caps on. Again, I never held a 480 but on my 451's, the threads are a bitch to keep from cross threading when you're lit. The AKG guy I deal with says that's the commonest repair. The kicker is, they cant be repaired. The threads are attached to the capsule inside the tube and the whole thing goes replace. I leave my caps attached all the time and just buy more mics for the different caps! ;D Then you get to get more shockmounts ;D and can run multi rigs all at once :D
AdamZ

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2005, 12:28:07 PM »
I sleep better having $1000+ worth of gear air/Moister tight while storing if nothing else
My pelican is Much bigger than the 1050 But its all together
- Batts,Shocks,screens,cables in another small bag..

momule - nice case.. what model is it?
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2005, 04:10:24 PM »
thanks dave.

It is the pelican 1300
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 10:37:17 AM »
When I was running 480's, I purchased the MBHO cases from Sonic Sense.  I think they were like $30 - 40 for the pair, but were MUCH smaller than the cases AKG sends with the mics. 
This is what my friend did.They fit great

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2007, 09:11:18 PM »
That quote from Sherlock is great. I feel the same way. The other piece I may as well share here is to leave the caps on. Again, I never held a 480 but on my 451's, the threads are a bitch to keep from cross threading when you're lit. The AKG guy I deal with says that's the commonest repair. The kicker is, they cant be repaired. The threads are attached to the capsule inside the tube and the whole thing goes replace. I leave my caps attached all the time and just buy more mics for the different caps! ;D Then you get to get more shockmounts ;D and can run multi rigs all at once :D
AdamZ

So when storing your mics in a Pelican case with foam, it IS ok to keep the capsuls attached to the mic body?

Thanks
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 01:35:57 AM »
AdamZ

So when storing your mics in a Pelican case with foam, it IS ok to keep the capsuls attached to the mic body?

Thanks

i have ALWAYS stored my 480's with a set of caps on the bodies in the pelican 1060 FWIW :) the other 1-2 sets of caps have their own spaces.....

Offline habit

• Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 02:46:31 AM »
I was hoping so.
Thanks for the info.

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 06:26:59 PM »
I also use the 1060 with some high density foam, the mics are very snug in this case so it keeps them from moving around.  I use the wind screens that came with the mics (havn't upgraded them yet) as a spacer between the mics and the lid.

I also don't like removing the caps, as mentioned before it can be very easy to ruin the threads, when I get some new caps (63's) I'll most likely leave them on unless I feel the 61's would be better.

Here are some photo's, the case is large but I think it's ok, it still fits in my gear bag  ;D

Countryman ISOMAX 2 -> Tascam DR100

Offline habit

• Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
Here's a couple of pictures with the Pelican 1060 holding my mics and capsules. The Pick A Pluck is pretty amazing stuff. Seems everything fits nice and tight and even stay in place when the box is turned upside down.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com