Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: smaller case for 480's?  (Read 8866 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: smaller case for 480's?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 12:57:44 PM »
ding ding ding
I think we have a winner!

Nice Fozzy!

Yea i think they had the akg's in mind  ;D  It is nice and small and fits in a little pouch on the inside of my bag to hold it in place.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

radioboy1977

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
ding ding ding
I think we have a winner!

Nice Fozzy!

i agree.  i think i'll hit wally world and target on the way home to see what i can turn up.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 03:12:54 AM »
i am really not trying to fluff pelican cases, but damn, theyre super nice jef, id keep the 1050 and just deal w/ it, i mean honestly, what has better protection than a pelican case? NOTHING

when you have almost a couple grand in mics, why not keep them protected as possible ??? the pelican cases do JUST that ;)

seems silly to me to spend 5 bucks on protective storage for mics that are a grand a pair for one set of capsules almost :)

everything i own, i try to get the best, i mean we spend such $ on big things, its sometimes the small things that count JUST AS MUCH ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 05:40:01 AM »
Those pelicans are clunky.  Unless you plan to tape on a boat or a sub, they are overkill.  These guys are looking for something to bring the mics into shows.  If I had a deluxe case for every piece of gear I have to bring to shows, I'd have serious back problems.  I like simple solutions to problems, tupperware/pluck foam is good since the tupperware is airtight.  Okay, it doesn't have the pressure release valve like the pelican but it will fit handlily in a small backpack with your pre, a/d, cables, shock mounts, t-bar and deck/HD recorder.  But don't ask me, I am not getting out and about here in Japan with taping allowed gear...it is all stealth in these 'Yakusa protected' nightclubs, they don't give a rats-ass about bands being cool with it.

ANDY

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 11:47:38 AM »
I understand what you are saying, but I have to agree with Bean on this one. You mics are probably your most expensive investment and most definitely the most fragile. Its totall worth it to me to keep thoes bad boys in a good case. Its doesnt have to be a pelican, but at least somthing with some foam.

Offline Mingle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Fozzy's Flambeau case in the pic is the Flambeau 2003 Tuff 'Tainer.  I picked one up online at www.flambeaustore.com  You can find it under  Fishing > Small Storage.  A great AKG 480 storage solution for $2.79 plus shipping!  You can't beat that.  Add a little foam to keep the mics secure, and you're set.

-Nic
AKG 480 ck61/ck63 > V3 > M1 or iriver H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 01:51:23 PM »
When I was running 480's, I purchased the MBHO cases from Sonic Sense.  I think they were like $30 - 40 for the pair, but were MUCH smaller than the cases AKG sends with the mics. 
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »
The mini infinite divider from the Container Store is great.  It has three long compartments and moveable vertical dividers that you can adjust.  It will hold both bodies (caps removed), and 4 caps in their own individual compartments.  I cut some thin foam and lined the bottom of the box to take up a little space so they don't rattle around.  At 7x4x1.5 is a very compact solution.  I used to have a pic from when I sold my AKGs...if I can find it, I'll post a link.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=60124&CATID=230
Oade preamp museum curator

AdamZ

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 10:28:44 AM »
i am really not trying to fluff pelican cases, but damn, theyre super nice jef, id keep the 1050 and just deal w/ it, i mean honestly, what has better protection than a pelican case? NOTHING

when you have almost a couple grand in mics, why not keep them protected as possible ??? the pelican cases do JUST that ;)

seems silly to me to spend 5 bucks on protective storage for mics that are a grand a pair for one set of capsules almost :)

everything i own, i try to get the best, i mean we spend such $ on big things, its sometimes the small things that count JUST AS MUCH ;)
I want to chime in a bit here. My Akg 451's are from 1992 and still wail like when I bought them. After going through lots of used shit from EBay I can conclude the following: the bodies can take a bit of a bang here and there and be OK (except for cosmetics which may be a detriment if resale value is important to you) but the caps need to be babied. I dont know about the 480 stuff, but for mine CKx series, the caps have a mylar layer on the front edge of the capsule inside the tube, these peel off after time and jostling promotes peeling. You'll hear a crackle if you shake them a bit while hooked in to record. Ive rebuilt CK1 caps from dead ones and they just need as much TLC as they can get for longevity sake.
Keep your fishing lures in plano cases and put your capsules in some high density foam. I bought pads and pads of it from a Pelican Foam provider for cheap and cut my own foam for whatever case and gear I have that needs it. My caps love me for it.
AdaMZ

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
Flambeau, dustin sent this along w/ the 481's when i got em.  I say hit the bait shop and see what you can find

just wanted to say thanks for this suggestion! picked one up last week for my 480/ck63's, threw some foam in there with some double-sided tape, and it works like a charm!
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Ray76

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »
Im wanderin, since im around nothing but orchestra folks a lot, how a flute case would work/?Or piccolo??Look the perfect size to me.

Ray

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »
I sleep better having $1000+ worth of gear air/Moister tight while storing if nothing else
My pelican is Much bigger than the 1050 But its all together
- Batts,Shocks,screens,cables in another small bag..

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 06:04:18 PM »

I want to chime in a bit here. My Akg 451's are from 1992 and still wail like when I bought them. After going through lots of used shit from EBay I can conclude the following: the bodies can take a bit of a bang here and there and be OK (except for cosmetics which may be a detriment if resale value is important to you) but the caps need to be babied. I dont know about the 480 stuff, but for mine CKx series, the caps have a mylar layer on the front edge of the capsule inside the tube, these peel off after time and jostling promotes peeling. You'll hear a crackle if you shake them a bit while hooked in to record. Ive rebuilt CK1 caps from dead ones and they just need as much TLC as they can get for longevity sake.
Keep your fishing lures in plano cases and put your capsules in some high density foam. I bought pads and pads of it from a Pelican Foam provider for cheap and cut my own foam for whatever case and gear I have that needs it. My caps love me for it.
AdaMZ

agreed, why put 1k+ mics into a 2 dollar plano case
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »

AdaMZ

agreed, why put 1k+ mics into a 2 dollar plano case
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

AdamZ

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »
That quote from Sherlock is great. I feel the same way. The other piece I may as well share here is to leave the caps on. Again, I never held a 480 but on my 451's, the threads are a bitch to keep from cross threading when you're lit. The AKG guy I deal with says that's the commonest repair. The kicker is, they cant be repaired. The threads are attached to the capsule inside the tube and the whole thing goes replace. I leave my caps attached all the time and just buy more mics for the different caps! ;D Then you get to get more shockmounts ;D and can run multi rigs all at once :D
AdamZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com