Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vert or T bar?  (Read 8822 times)

Offline hayduke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
vert or T bar?
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:22:05 PM »
just wondering if i'd be better off picking up a shure vert bar over a T bar? am i right that the vert bar will give me more options? i'll be using C4s with the shock mounts....thanks!
Shameless Plug:  www.JovialFlow.com

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: vert or T bar?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
im a big fan of the vert bar.

what shocks you running?

Offline hayduke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »
newer stock models that came with the C4s i believe (haven't actually arrived yet...)
love your avatar!

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 03:35:17 PM »
IMO you get more of a variety of options w/ the vert bar than w/ the t-bar.  i have both, and 90% of the time i use the vert bar.  but if you are running LD mics, or using really big shox, then the t-bar may be a better call.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 03:40:15 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »
IMO you get more of a variety of options w/ the vert bar than w/ the t-bar.

How so?  Both support coincident and near-coincident techniques (XY, ORTF, DIN, Blumlein) with infinite variability of included angle and horizontal spacing (granted with a max horz spacing limit).  I don't believe one provides more options than the other, I think it's purely personal preference - and I happen to prefer the AKG / K&M t-bar.  'Course, I haven't used one since I got my Kwonbars.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »

How so?  Both support coincident and near-coincident techniques (XY, ORTF, DIN, Blumlein) with infinite variability of included angle and horizontal spacing (granted with a max horz spacing limit).  I don't believe one provides more options than the other, I think it's purely personal preference - and I happen to prefer the AKG / K&M t-bar.  'Course, I haven't used one since I got my Kwonbars.

because you can flip the pieces of the vert bar to get diff spacing between the threaded parts that the shox attach to.  and you don't need risers to go near-coincident like you do w/ the t-bar when using certain mics.  and w/ large vertical spacing, you can achieve configs that the t-bar just won't do.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:12:30 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »

i carry a K&M stereo bar, a 3-foot wide T bar, and vert bar with bcosigan LD mod with me to most shows.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:53:35 PM »
because you can flip the pieces of the vert bar to get diff spacing between the threaded parts that the shox attach to.

Okay, so you can achieve greater vertical distancing between the shock mounting points.  But I think that's more a result of the different design than a functional plus or minus.

and you don't need risers to go near-coincident like you do w/ the t-bar when using certain mics.

Risers are cheap and easy.  Alternatively, just run one mount upside-down on the t-bar.

and w/ large horizontal spacing

I think you mean vertical spacing?  See comment above re vertical spacing.

you can achieve configs that the t-bar just won't do.

What configs are you able to do with your vert bar that are not possible with a t-bar?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hayduke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 04:03:03 PM »
thanks for the input! think i'll start with the T at around $20 rather than the vert that's like $50 more and maybe try to DIY a vert....

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 04:12:23 PM »

How so? Both support coincident and near-coincident techniques (XY, ORTF, DIN, Blumlein) with infinite variability of included angle and horizontal spacing (granted with a max horz spacing limit). I don't believe one provides more options than the other, I think it's purely personal preference - and I happen to prefer the AKG / K&M t-bar. 'Course, I haven't used one since I got my Kwonbars.

no doubt

that shure bar sucks... it's heavy and bulky and expensive. I've never understood why people use the vert bar.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 04:17:50 PM »

How so? Both support coincident and near-coincident techniques (XY, ORTF, DIN, Blumlein) with infinite variability of included angle and horizontal spacing (granted with a max horz spacing limit). I don't believe one provides more options than the other, I think it's purely personal preference - and I happen to prefer the AKG / K&M t-bar. 'Course, I haven't used one since I got my Kwonbars.

no doubt

that shure bar sucks... it's heavy and bulky and expensive. I've never understood why people use the vert bar.

because it's better than the t-bar ;)

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 04:22:52 PM »
because you can flip the pieces of the vert bar to get diff spacing between the threaded parts that the shox attach to.

Okay, so you can achieve greater vertical distancing between the shock mounting points.  But I think that's more a result of the different design than a functional plus or minus.

and you don't need risers to go near-coincident like you do w/ the t-bar when using certain mics.

Risers are cheap and easy.  Alternatively, just run one mount upside-down on the t-bar.

and w/ large horizontal spacing

I think you mean vertical spacing?  See comment above re vertical spacing.

you can achieve configs that the t-bar just won't do.

What configs are you able to do with your vert bar that are not possible with a t-bar?

look man, i'm not trying to start a war here.  i'm not even trying to convince anyone that a vert bar is better than a t-bar.  it's better for me for the reasons listed.  as i posted, it depends on what you're running.  as i said, i have both.  i'm just stating my opinion.  Me personaly, i happen to like my vert bar better.  it's all in the eye of user.  certain things that may seem like pluses to you, are minuses to me and vice versa.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:26:19 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 04:26:27 PM »
Brian,

Can the K&M T-bar handle the weight of the AKG 414s?

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 04:27:03 PM »
+T scooter, skalinder likes to make people sweat sometimes.  you know you are in the hot seat when he takes the time to break your posts down like that and keeps asking "why?" :P

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 04:27:25 PM »
Brian,

Can the K&M T-bar handle the weight of the AKG 414s?

it can handle U87's if that tells you anything.

so.....yes :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com