Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New DAT decks?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
New DAT decks?
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »
Anyone know where to find one these days?

Offline Professor chaos

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
Re: New DAT decks?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:27:37 AM »
are you sure that dat is the medium you want to go with? dat has served us well but the end is approaching. paul at prodigital has told me that he estimates approx. 5 years worth of parts left for the sonys. i don't know about the others. if you can't find brand new dat deck, prodigital has refurbished dats which are as good as new. this is the only way i would buy a used dat these days. are you thinking of patching or recording w/ a rig?
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 07:18:29 AM »
Are there still DATdrives around that will allow a rip from a DAT audio tape and archiving to disc ?
Did any of those actually allow real-time playback ?

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »
are you thinking of patching or recording w/ a rig?

nah.  just have a bunch of old masters to transfer to my hard drive.  got rid of my last deck about 6 months ago (the heads were shot & I didn't want to go through the process (once again) of shipping it off for inferior replacement heads).  wonder what he's asking for his refurbs?

Offline Tim

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:53:42 AM »
are you sure that dat is the medium you want to go with? dat has served us well but the end is approaching. paul at prodigital has told me that he estimates approx. 5 years worth of parts left for the sonys. i don't know about the others. if you can't find brand new dat deck, prodigital has refurbished dats which are as good as new. this is the only way i would buy a used dat these days. are you thinking of patching or recording w/ a rig?

a lot of us still have several hundred dats that we listen to on a daily basis :)

I have 2 home decks still, I anticipate listening to my dat collection for a long time still

Taylor - I don't think anyone is making new dat decks, I think Tascam and Sony quit making the transports a few years back. Refurbed is the way to go... I want to send both of my DA20mkII's in to Paul for a tune up before they run out of parts.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 03:18:18 PM »
Refurbed is the way to go... I want to send both of my DA20mkII's in to Paul for a tune up before they run out of parts.

I hear ya.  Haven't felt comfortable with picking one up off ebay...too much risk with head condition.

Offline Tim

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 03:27:50 PM »
yep, you'd probably just end up sending it to Paul@ProDig anyway

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com