Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Large vs. Small Diaphragm Mics?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline tradja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Large vs. Small Diaphragm Mics?
« on: May 25, 2005, 03:31:42 AM »
For our purposes, what is the difference between small and large diaphragm mics?  For example, the Studio Projects C1 vs. C4?  Thanks!
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Large vs. Small Diaphragm Mics?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 03:54:39 AM »
first LD mics generally have multiple patterns built in so there's no need for extra caps... generally LD's are a great "value" in that regard

sonically speaking the physics of moving a larger diaphragm means that the LD's are "slower" and as such not quite as accurate or detailed but instead are very musical (warm or rounded in a pleasing manner)

there's also the practical consideration of the size and weight of ld's to consider...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dancingpanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • The Dancing Panda
    • dancingPanda
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 08:21:04 PM »

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 11:07:46 PM »
Damn,  I have pretty much the same question.  I have C4s, and am wondering if it would be worth it to get some C1s for different situations.  After doing some research it appears that it's probably not worth it.  If I was gonna do it, I would save up the money and go with the C3s.  The C1s are just cardoid, the C3s have 3 switchable patterns. 

I heard a tape of the Goran Ivanovic Group by mmmatt.  It had the C1s on stage in the center and the C4 omnis at the stage corners for ambience and that sound was AMAZING!  If I had the set up, and connections with bands/clubs, to do this type of thing I would do it in a heartbeat, but for normal feild recording I am starting to understand that small studio condensers are the way to go. 

Anyone who is more experienced or knowledgable than me agree or disagree?  I would love to know if I have come to a legitimate conclusion.

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com