Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: article on dithering 24>16 in this months stereophile  (Read 1756 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
article on dithering 24>16 in this months stereophile
« on: June 17, 2005, 03:23:29 AM »
made my head hurt, but some of you guys may be able to "keep it simple stupid" for me. please discuss.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: article on dithering 24>16 in this months stereophile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 06:56:42 AM »
The jist of it to me, was essentially that the dude was able to prove, at least using his measurements and ears, that a simply truncated signal, without sithering, compared to the same waveform, dithered down, sounded better.  That's what i got out of it at least, though I will admit, I haven't yet had time to finish the entire thing.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:56:37 PM »
That's what I got out of it. It seems strage given that all those ad2k+ users out there really seem to prefer one scheme over another.

Perhaps we could do a few listening tests around here. People with 24bit files could upload short samples of truncated vs. UV22 (or whatever)- and we can judge.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:58:57 PM »
Didn't the dither test webpage also have a truncated version posted to that site for comparison purposes? On that site, MegaBitMax pretty much blew away the competition.
Out of the game … for now?

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 12:09:33 AM »
I'd be very skeptical of one writer's opinion and I have VERY little faith in his discrimination method.
What he calls "white noise" may VERY well be spatial information taken out of context.

I'd love to hear the audio intelligencia have their way with the article.

Anyone down for writing Mike Grace, Doug Oade, a handful of recording engineers, and the techies at Sony and Apogee ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com