Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 671 sounds decent when recording, but BAD when played back on computer?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I recently got a stock 671 and it sounds okay when recording... even through the mic in... not good enough for what you guys do but it's decent for my use. (dialog for video)

Anyway... when I record and play back files on the unit everything sounds decent, but when I put those files into the computer they have a stupid level of hiss/distortion... it's not hardly even there when I monitor the recording while making it... any ideas?

I'm trying to do 24/96 and I have an Audigy2 24/96 card (crappy I know, but still it normally sounds decent).

So what's going on?

I mean it sounds way worse then my camcorder audio...
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
How are you transferring from 671 > PC?  And how are you playing them back from your PC (s/w, hardware, listening device e.g. speakers or headphones)?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
I got the files in by putting the CF card in the card reader on my printer (it works just like a normal card reader)... the usb connection directly from the 671 to the computer isn't working... WinXP says "unknown hardware" and won't install any kind of driver for it.

I get the files in fine through the card reader and windows just sees the individual files as individual wave files. Then I've just been playing them back with windows media 9. I have Sound Forge 6 and Acid Pro 4 but neither app will recognize the 24/96 files yet.

I have an Audigy2 card with the front mounted breakout interface... so on the front of my computer I have usb, firewire, SPDIF, mini-xlr, optical in and out... etc. etc. I'm using Sony 7506 headphones (the standard monitor headphones in hollywood)... and my speaker monitors are Cambridge... but trust me... none of the hardware is the problem. I've been able to do super clean audio for a while now...

There is an issue of the 24/96 or perhaps the marantz or something... I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but I hoped one of the other guys who bought a 671 might be able to help.

The files that I put in are 24/96 mono, but I'll try a 16/48 stereo later just to see if that matters... I just don't see why it would. There is probably some small detail I'm overlooking... but I haven't found it yet.
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
There is a firmware update for the 671 for the normal audio apps to recgnise the 24/96 files.  I can't find the link but it requires it being sent in to them.  I know fanosix was doing realtimg spidif transfers till this issue was resolved.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Try playing them with Foobar2000. Then let us know the result.

Gordon 
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks... I downloaded fubar2000 and the sound is the same... it's like grounding static or something? It's quiet, but it's there... there is definitely something wrong somewhere. The thing that's so odd about it is when I play the file back on the unit it sounds great... but when I send it to the computer something bad happens in the process.

When I get it sorted I'll let you know what the problem was... if somebody else already knows what's happening dont' keep it to yourself man! :o

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
There is a firmware update for the 671 for the normal audio apps to recgnise the 24/96 files.  I can't find the link but it requires it being sent in to them.  I know fanosix was doing realtimg spidif transfers till this issue was resolved.

Yeah, the Marantz machines seem to be the only newer CF card stuff that won't do firmware upgrades from simple downloads.  The upside is that the turnaround time was very fast, they got it back to me in a few days.

Jeff

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
bought new right now they should be fixed tho, ya think?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.

I guess it depends on how long the dealer has had them on the shelf. I would ask.

Jeff

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks fozzy and Wifi... case is solved. It's the firmware... 16/48 sounds ten times cleaner then the 24/96... which has me really excited 'cause you can hear the fat character (in 24/96) that this thing gives my otherwise wimpy voice, and without the crunchy static behind it the 24/96 will absolutely rock!

In 16/48 this thing still sounds really good... but it's easy to hear the difference in fullness when you switch to 24/96... I guess I'll just have to wait a few days to hear that anywhere but in the unit.

Thanks again everybody!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Thanks fozzy and Wifi... case is solved. It's the firmware... 16/48 sounds ten times cleaner then the 24/96... which has me really excited 'cause you can hear the fat character (in 24/96) that this thing gives my otherwise wimpy voice, and without the crunchy static behind it the 24/96 will absolutely rock!

In 16/48 this thing still sounds really good... but it's easy to hear the difference in fullness when you switch to 24/96... I guess I'll just have to wait a few days to hear that anywhere but in the unit.

Thanks again everybody!

Keep us informed as to how Marantz handles this.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular

For the record... the easiest way to tell if a 671 has the updated firmware is to go into the recording quality settings... when you switch through the 24/96 you'll see a "24e" option. That is the 24 bit depth that windows apps will recognize... so if you click through them and it just gives you a choice of 16 or 24, but no "e" then you need the update.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com