Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R1 Questions  (Read 6494 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
R1 Questions
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:49:30 PM »
I have read (all that I could locate) all of the Edirol R1 posts here from the dawn of time.

I still have a couple of questions, and the 1st one... did I miss some sort of an R1 FAQ some place?  Should we have one?

Here are my current questions:
  • Does the limiter work well?  Is it recommended when stealthing (to keep from having to check the deck much)?
  • I currently have 2 GB CF cards, is there any issue of swapping cards as long as both were formatted pre-show and the 1st WAV file was "stopped" prior to removing the initial card?  Should the deck be powered between cards, or can it be left on?  I know that a 2 GB file will only record 2:15 and know I can then record a 2nd track on the same card until it is full
  • My card is a Kingston Elite Pro 4 GB, anyone had any issue with this card?  I have not with limited playing around at home
  • I will be using well tested and maintained 2300mAh AA batteries from http://batteryspace.com, any known issues here?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can send my way!

Greg

PS- been a TS lurker for some time, but been taping since 1986  ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:51:01 PM by gmm6797 »

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: R1 Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:52:44 PM »
welcome greg.  +T  Feel free to introduce yourself in the upstate tapers team thread

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:56:45 PM »
  • Does the limiter work well?  Is it recommended when stealthing (to keep from having to check the deck much)?

Haven't tried the limiter so I can't help with this one

• I currently have 2 GB CF cards, is there any issue of swapping cards as long as both were formatted pre-show and the 1st WAV file was "stopped" prior to removing the initial card?  Should the deck be powered between cards, or can it be left on?  I know that a 2 GB file will only record 2:15 and know I can then record a 2nd track on the same card until it is full

I would power the deck off only because it only takes about 2-3 seconds to power it back on and I'd be too scared to test ejecting a CF before shutting the unit off.

• My card is a Kingston Elite Pro 4 GB, anyone had any issue with this card?  I have not with limited playing around at home

I've used one for 2 shows with no problems.

• I will be using well tested and maintained 2300mAh AA batteries from http://batteryspace.com, any known issues here?

I've run w/ 2600 mAh, 2500 mAh and 2450 mAh and never gotten the low battery indicator after taping 4+ hours on a set of 4. The 2600's ran over 6 hours before I stopped testing.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »
Set of 4?  Meaning you changed batteries after the opener?  My R1 only takes 2 AA batteries.

Thanks George!
Greg

I've run w/ 2600 mAh, 2500 mAh and 2450 mAh and never gotten the low battery indicator after taping 4+ hours on a set of 4. The 2600's ran over 6 hours before I stopped testing.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 11:21:08 PM »
Set of 4?  Meaning you changed batteries after the opener?  My R1 only takes 2 AA batteries.

Whoops, I haven't touched my taping gear since mid-November, it does only take 2.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »
I did manage a few DMB shows and a U2 in Dec, but nothing since 12/15/05.... nothing until 1/21/06 and then 3/21/06....

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 06:27:11 AM »
I'd like to see a show that's 4.5 hours of music that's a stealth job!  Very few acts even approach the 2 hour mark for sets so I don't see why you need so much storage.  If it's really going to be that long of a show you could even tape at 16 bit and get more time on your card.  I have also not used the limiter, wouldn't consider it even.  The level indicators are accurate on the R1 so if you can get it set with enough headroom to cover the loudplossives of the show you'll be money.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 08:07:56 AM »
I'd like to see a show that's 4.5 hours of music that's a stealth job! 

Paul McCartney played for over 3 hours....

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »
I'd like to see a show that's 4.5 hours of music that's a stealth job! 

Paul McCartney played for over 3 hours....

i dont remember the exact length but last year's Vote for Change finale was mighty long, long enough that i needed to change out d8 batteries, sbm1 batteries, and flip 90meter tapes. 

yowza.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 09:25:36 AM »
How does the R pre compare to the MT? Also does it provide a full 48 v phantom or is it less like the MT? Trying to figure which one to buy for stealth situations w/MBHOs. OADE does a mod for the R - is it worth it? Will Doug eventually do a mod for the MT?

Thanks a lot!

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »
How does the R pre compare to the MT? Also does it provide a full 48 v phantom or is it less like the MT? Trying to figure which one to buy for stealth situations w/MBHOs. OADE does a mod for the R - is it worth it? Will Doug eventually do a mod for the MT?

Thanks a lot!

it does not provide phantom power.

for stealth situations with mbhos, i'd highly recommend  mbho > mp2 > r1 over the microtracker!

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the input. I am using the MP2 (love it w/MBHOs. Why would you prefer the R1 over the MT though?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 09:26:31 AM »
The ADC in the R1 smokes the MTs

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »

What makes you think so if I may ask? I'd love to hear an A/B comparison!
I'm about to make the jump from DAT to compact flash based recording, and I'm debating whether I should go the MT or R1 route... (I'm running MBHO>MP2 as well.) Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm leaning towards the R1, but basically just because its line-in doesn't add a ton of gain, and because it seems to be more reliable in general. Sonically, I have to idea which would be better. Thoughts?

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 10:17:27 AM »

Indeed.

I ran the MT through the analog inputs for a couple of months before switching over to an Oade modded R1. I found the analog stage and ADC of the MicroTrack to sound thin and airy, mainly in the mids and low-end. Although I've made several really great sounding recordings with the MT, I kept thinking that my recordings at 16bit with a SBM-1 sounded better, although not as detailed as a 24bit recording.
dB-

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:42:56 PM by neutrino »
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
Another thing to look at is reliability.....The MT is all over the place with issues and problems. more people than not seem to have some kind of issue.  It seems like the R1 has worked  right out of the gate....no digi input , but the darn thing works....I'll take that anyday....................
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »
Will Doug eventually do a mod for the MT?

It has been elluded to on doug's site, but I dont think there is anything offical as of yet.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Another thing to look at is reliability.....The MT is all over the place with issues and problems. more people than not seem to have some kind of issue.  It seems like the R1 has worked  right out of the gate....no digi input , but the darn thing works....I'll take that anyday....................

I agree completely.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
I love the R-1.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 11:58:14 PM »
Will Doug eventually do a mod for the MT?

It has been elluded to on doug's site, but I dont think there is anything offical as of yet.

I talked to Doug a bit about the MT mod when I was purchasing my modded R1. He was telling me that he couldn't do much to improve the 1/4" inputs on the MT, that the design of the phantom power circuitry fed a huge amount of noise into the inputs and that a mod to the circuit was useless. I believe the mod they are working on for the MT is to improve the 1/8" mic inputs, but I have no particulars on that. I think he was waiting on M-Audio to improve the firmware first.
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 05:51:49 AM »
right now the R1 looks like the better choice to make.  Once the optical input issue is resolved on the MT that might become a geat option for a portable recording device.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com