Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT 24/96 SBD Recording Error  (Read 2233 times)

Offline raindv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MT 24/96 SBD Recording Error
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:16:37 AM »
I am so so sad. I am so so angry.

Please help me understand what the hell happened here before I call m-audio and go ballistic.

Went to a show tonight - the Eames Era.

I plugged straight into the board - 1/4inch mono signal into my left 1/4inch TRS input. Selected 1/4inch input, WAV, 24/48. Set it on Line In. Hit Record. Put it on hold. Set it behind the SBD.

Wandered off to videotape.

Came back almost 50 minutes later after the show was over. Microtrack was still recording - but showed to be at minute 36 of recording.

WTF, I thought.

I stopped it, plugged in headphones - hit play, fast forward 7 minutes. Im not even sure how to describe what happened. I have drop outs, I have bits that were recorded in fast forward. I have a completely jacked unrecoverable recording of a show that I've been waiting a month and a half to see.

Heres one song. I have not messed with it other then to make the mono and a stereo signal, resample to 44/16 and convert to mp3.

http://lullabyes.net/mp3/ihatemymicrotrack.mp3

This is my 4th recording with the MT. I've had it for 2 1/2 months. 3 Soundboards, 1 MIC recording. This has not happened before.

Bottom line - I tape a lot of shows (winters kinda slow). I cant afford to be worrying that its going to fail randomly in such a spectacular fashion.

I am firmware version 1.1.5

I am using a Hitatchi 4gig Microdrive

Please - any ideas on what the hell happened?

On a side note - the battery absolutely blows too. I taped on Saturday night - came home and charged it all night. Full battery next morning. Unplugged, turned off, put the hold on, and put it away. Came back this morning - 1/4 battery charge left.

This particular flaw screwed me at an earlier show where I didnt realize that charging up til the minute I left would be necessary, and managed to only get 1/2 of the show.

Ill be honest - im ready to go after m-audios throat here. Its late, and im seriously unhappy camper.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: MT 24/96 SBD Recording Error
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 02:19:40 AM »
Please upgrade firmware.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:44:06 AM »
Couple of possible scenarios...

#1 - Upgrade the firmware as noted above. Not sure what could've caused these issues in the previous firmware, but it's always good to have the latest drivers installed.

#2 - Possible vibrations/movement associated with running a Microdrive @ 24/96. I'm willing to bet this was the culprit.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

cmoorevt

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:53:44 AM »
On a side note - the battery absolutely blows too. I taped on Saturday night - came home and charged it all night. Full battery next morning. Unplugged, turned off, put the hold on, and put it away. Came back this morning - 1/4 battery charge left.

This particular flaw screwed me at an earlier show where I didnt realize that charging up til the minute I left would be necessary, and managed to only get 1/2 of the show.

The internal battery is not the best, but there are a number of threads in the Remote Power section that will help you find external battery power.

I've been using the device mentioned in post one of this thread with great success:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49161.0

-also-

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51864.0

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »
i've had one since the beginning and the only time i had that problem was doing 24/96 with a card that couldnt handle the write speed...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »
Also, you should switch to a CF card instead of the Microdrive, the Microdrive is a mechanical part and draws considerably more power than a CF card.

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:54:19 AM »
yeah, what he said
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 05:46:06 PM »
I had it record at high speed once, and have used it at about 30 shows so far. I believe I formatted it at 16bit and recorded at 24bit, but I'm not sure. The file read as a 24 bit file at 88.2 . I never have been able to duplicate it, but I never have used 16bit since.

I always run a back-up still, and I say I'm at 90%-95% success rate now.

Get a juice box. My MT wil go in excess of 10 hours, if I had another CF card.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 05:11:55 AM »
...its hard to trust a product that is still in beta firmware.

here's hoping maudio gets back in action on this.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com