Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping for Profit Question  (Read 2354 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Taping for Profit Question
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:40:09 PM »
There is a possibility that I may have the opportunity to tape bands playing wedding gigs.  The gigs would be set up from the bands' promoter, and would be an 'add-on' option available to the wedding party as a chance to have their wedding gig preserved on disc.  I'm sure the promoter would like to make a little money for offering this service as well, so.......

What would be considered fair compensation from the promoter for me to perform this service on their behalf?  What type of copyright law would be involved in something like this?  (I would assume that both the wedding party and the performing act would have the copyrights)

Also, what would be fair compensation from a videographer to provide them with a good matrix or audience recording for them to mix with their video?

Thanks for the help.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Taping for Profit Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:08:30 PM »
There is a possibility that I may have the opportunity to tape bands playing wedding gigs.  The gigs would be set up from the bands' promoter, and would be an 'add-on' option available to the wedding party as a chance to have their wedding gig preserved on disc.  I'm sure the promoter would like to make a little money for offering this service as well, so.......

What would be considered fair compensation from the promoter for me to perform this service on their behalf?  What type of copyright law would be involved in something like this?  (I would assume that both the wedding party and the performing act would have the copyrights)

Also, what would be fair compensation from a videographer to provide them with a good matrix or audience recording for them to mix with their video?

Thanks for the help.
copyright when related to sound recordings is a rather complicated thing.  Technically the rights to the recording would be shared by the performing artist and the recordist.  The recordist however, if payed a flat fee by the promoter would actually be selling his rights to copyright of the recording in most cases (depending on the actual contract).
     That all being said, the mechanical lisensing of the songs performed by the artst that are not the original works of the artist, are going to be charged a fee based on the number of copies sold, so in your case, there is just 1 or 2 copies being sold and I would not personally bother with the mechanical licensing fees. (I don't think Harry Fox agency would care to deal with it either)
     If you do this, I would put all the busniness end of this on the promoter.  Produce a simple contract that says he is hiring you for your recording services and he is responsible for all permissions and copyright negotiation etc.  Also make sure that you are going to be paid for showing up... I personally wouldn't go for the whole "if they like it they will buy it and you will get paid" thing...
     As for payment... what is it worth for you to show up and tape a wedding band?  Band = shit,  but drunken brides maids = :coolguy: !!!  Is it worth it for you to show up and tape for $50 or $100?  I would set my price like that.  Wedding receptions are long and I'm sure you would have to be there for everything so the $ per hr thing isn't going to be big $$$.  A good photagrapher is thousands for a wedding gig.   I would probably patch out to the vid guy for a few bucks extra or for a post mix do it all for the same fee you would charge for audio only.  The service would be a nice add-on also.  Quality ambient recordings in a church are very nice and everyone has their church wedding video taped these days!

Matt
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:10:35 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

slayerrocker

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »
$50 per hour - at 6-8 hours on site and 4 hours post processing that is reasonable and cheap relative to video and photo.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:57:27 PM »
$50 per hour - at 6-8 hours on site and 4 hours post processing that is reasonable and cheap relative to video and photo.
very reasonable for the work involved, but I doubt you will get many takers.  Maybe with highend clientel, but for the masses $5-600 would not be in the budget.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:39:43 PM »
Agreed.  Audio is almost irrelevant for wedding situations.  Video might command those prices, but not audio.  I'd set a flat fee and make sure open bar (if there is one) is included.  >:D   Figure on maybe $200 or so per gig, I would say based on past experience.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:23:32 PM »

Agreed.  Audio is almost irrelevant for wedding situations.  Video might command those prices, but not audio.  I'd set a flat fee and make sure open bar (if there is one) is included.  >:D   Figure on maybe $200 or so per gig, I would say based on past experience.

I think people would be willing to fork over the cash if they knew how much nicer the video would be if it had good audio.  But they don't know that - and are probably inclined to think, "We got the video, it's already got audio, what do we need this other audio source for?"

The other problem is that the videographer might not like doing this because: 1) it'll probably have to come from his fee & 2) now he has to synch the audio with the video, and he already has a shitload of work to do as it is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:26:24 PM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.164 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com