Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reversed omni mics - should I swap channels in post?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Reversed omni mics - should I swap channels in post?
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
In taping a show the other night, I did not realize I had my DPA4061s on the wrong sides.  So the mic on the left side of my head was feeding the right channel and vice versa.

Should i swap the channels in post production?  Or will this do harm in the soundstage.  Important with omnis I know.  It sounds a little strange when i listen to it as is since i know the clappers were to my left and they are showing up in my right channel, and there was a slight stereo effect since the guitars were primarily from their onstage amps rather than the PA reinforcement.  But i'm wondering if it's just better to leave it as is. . .

Thanks as always. . .
Dave
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Reversed omni mics - should I swap channels in post?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:28:22 AM »
swap 'em
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
In taping a show the other night, I did not realize I had my DPA4061s on the wrong sides.  So the mic on the left side of my head was feeding the right channel and vice versa.

Should i swap the channels in post production?  Or will this do harm in the soundstage.  Important with omnis I know.  It sounds a little strange when i listen to it as is since i know the clappers were to my left and they are showing up in my right channel, and there was a slight stereo effect since the guitars were primarily from their onstage amps rather than the PA reinforcement.  But i'm wondering if it's just better to leave it as is. . .

Thanks as always. . .
Dave

This is a big problem with some guys that tape shows. Left and right should always be correct. So I would reverse them in post that should not be a problem. I have made the same mistake more then a few times, I now always check my meters before I start tapeing by doing a tap test on the mics.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »

Thanks as always. . .
Dave

This is a big problem with some guys that tape shows. Left and right should always be correct. So I would reverse them in post that should not be a problem. I have made the same mistake more then a few times, I now always check my meters before I start tapeing by doing a tap test on the mics.

Yeah, i did that as well and literally as I did it the lights went down for the main act. . .  I didn't even notice it during the opener for some reason.  Mind was surely elsewhere that night!
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com