Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pelican 1200 makes a nice mic case!  (Read 8565 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Pelican 1200 makes a nice mic case!
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
Got one for XMAS. Orange so it stands out in the dark. http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1200.html

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pelican 1200 makes a nice mic case!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:45:45 PM »
i had that case for a bit
it was nice but a bit thicker then need be for most mics imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
This might be perfect for my new TLMs. Thanks.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:21:33 AM »
Pelican cases rule.  I've been looking for a good model to fit my TLs.  Has anyone found one that will fit well in a nova type bag?  The local Fry's has not had any that would work.  For now in my bag I have been storing the Tls in thick padded sunglasses containers.  They fit tight and are very well padded

I use the pelican 1060 for my 480s.  Perfect size for all the caps + A61s + bodies.  I needed to jury rig the foam now that I just got the A61s though.  Just ordered an new set of pluck and play foam to make it a bit cleaner.

EDIT: Relink of pic locally.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:26:42 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »
Pelican cases rule.  I've been looking for a good model to fit my TLs.  Has anyone found one that will fit well in a nova type bag?  The local Fry's has not had any that would work.  For now in my bag I have been storing the Tls in thick padded sunglasses containers.  They fit tight and are very well padded

I use the pelican 1060 for my 480s.  Perfect size for all the caps + A61s + bodies.  I needed to jury rig the foam now that I just got the A61s though.  Just ordered an new set of pluck and play foam to make it a bit cleaner.

that is a thing of beauty!
+T

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 10:31:21 AM »

One bit of advice make sure that foam is antistatic, because of the plastic outer shell it could create a static charge and zap your capsules! that would not be cool.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
Pelican seems to only have their foam. Is it static or anti-static.  Considering that they know how many different electronics get put in their cases, I would hope that it is already anti-static.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
One bit of advice make sure that foam is antistatic, because of the plastic outer shell it could create a static charge and zap your capsules! that would not be cool.

Chris Church

Pelican seems to only have their foam. Is it static or anti-static.  Considering that they know how many different electronics get put in their cases, I would hope that it is already anti-static.

If the Pelican foam isn't anti-static, about 60% of the tapers on this board are f@#$ed.  Considering a lot of them have been using this storage method for a good while, I'd assume it is ok.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »

Actually as far as I know it has always been an "option" to purchase the antistatic foam. I have several of the cases Pelican makes and I always had to pay extra to get the antistatic inserts. Mind you they are much bigger cases. I have always used the pink foam inserts they are not available from pelican, but it can be purchased from any professional case company that makes road cases its a much more dense foam but its 100% antistatic.

I don't take chances with my gear getting zapped. I once had almost an entire rack of live sound gear go down because of a foam liner in a rack case. The case was built the day before my show, and they used regular case foam that was rubber based!  It caused over $5,000 worth of damage to the gear, and it was a real pain as I was in the middle of nowhere when it happened. They had to drive 200 miles out to where I was, to replace all the damaged gear before I could even do a sound check. The band I was working for was not amused ether was I.

Chris Church  

Chris Church

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »
I just got off the phone with Pelican cases in the USA (310) 326-4700 and they said the same thing I did. If the foam is not PINK in color IT IS NOT ANTISTATIC! and it is a special order item. So if your using a case that has GREY foam you can screw up your mics. I am not saying you will screw up your mics but its a chance you take when using regular foam.

A simple test would be take the foam out and rub it against your hair if your hair clings to it its holding a charge, that charge can discharge into your mic capsules and destroy the mics preamp Fet. Or even alter the charge on the mic capsule it self. Ether way I would not trust my $1000.00 mics to foam that was not antistatic.

Antistatic foam has a conductive surface that retards the materials ability to hold a charge in the first place thats why Its so expensive because the conductive but flexible foam is very expensive.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:43:37 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
So where do we get antistatic foam? I'm pretty surprised of all of the pelican cases I have seen with camera and audio gear in it. I have NEVER seen pink foam.  :-[
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »
So where do we get antistatic foam? I'm pretty surprised of all of the pelican cases I have seen with camera and audio gear in it. I have NEVER seen pink foam.  :-[

QFT. i've never even thought of this being a potential problem. has anyone ever experienced this type of damage to their caps? it would REALLY SUCK

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »
I just talked to Pelican and got a number for a distributor.  I'm on the phone with him now.  I'll report back.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »

QFT. i've never even thought of this being a potential problem. has anyone ever experienced this type of damage to their caps? it would REALLY SUCK

Could this be the cause of the recent "matched capsules suddenly way off" or however it was worded, thread?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:09:34 PM »

There is a reason why every mic manufacturer uses antistatic foam in the shipping cases they ship there mics in. And its not because they money to burn.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
I just talked to Pelican and got a number for a distributor.  I'm on the phone with him now.  I'll report back.

What you don't believe me LOL.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
the foam which i used in my pelican came from the package from AKG. but i did use pick and pluck foam for the other part. it is the standard greyish foam. the consistency of the foam is almost identical to that of the AKG stuff. i never figured there was any difference. i'm not doubting you chris...just sayin' it really looks and feels similar.

edit to say: it is crazy that i'm sure MANY tapers have probably used the standard P&P foam without experiencing any problems (thankfully)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:15:15 PM by T.J. »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »
the foam which i used in my pelican came from the package from AKG. but i did use pick and pluck foam for the other part. it is the standard greyish foam. the consistency of the foam is almost identical to that of the AKG stuff. i never figured there was any difference. i'm not doubting you chris...just sayin' it really looks and feels similar.

edit to say: it is crazy that i'm sure MANY tapers have probably used the standard P&P foam without experiencing any problems (thankfully)

Do the test rub it against your hair and see if it holds a charge ;)

Its just a mater of the right set of circumstances to create the situation where a static charge can occur. There is a reason why we have antistatic foam. If I had mics worth as much as some of you do I would be using it :) I would pay the extra $20 bucks to protect my $4,000 mic I am pretty sure about that. Besides why do you all buy cases in the first place? if not to protect your mics properly why do a 80% job when you can do a 100% job with antistatic foam. I know a bunch of you are rubbing your foam in your hair right now !  :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:21:12 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »

Hmm, I didn't get say anything about not believing you.   ???  I said I was getting a number for a distributor for the foam.  Relax, Chris.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »
Could this be the cause of the recent "matched capsules suddenly way off" or however it was worded, thread?

My thoughts exactly.  Here's the thread:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77570.0.html

I got the number for a distributor and left them a message.  Minimum order of 100 pieces though.   :-X  Probably better to pick up some sheets and cut them to fit ourselves.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 12:24:46 PM »

Hmm, I didn't get say anything about not believing you.   ???  I said I was getting a number for a distributor for the foam.  Relax, Chris.

Dude I am relaxed sorry if you got the wrong impression I thought the LOL would say that. Written words in a forum can be so one dimensional sorry if you took that the wrong way :)

I just think its funny that a case company that makes cases for gear does not have antistatic foam in the cases they sell as standard. I can think of one reason why they don't (to increase sales by lowering the prices) by not having the more expensive foam as standard, and making you pay for it on the side. This reduces the sticker shock of the item in question. It's just that they are doing this at your expense. I don't think that's right. So I wanted to make sure everyone knew about it. That's all just doing my bit to help my fellow audio geeks.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:28:04 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
I found a site that lists all of the cases, with the pink anti-static foam as an option.  The model number for each case is the same, it just has an "A-Static" after the number, e.g. 1200A-Static.  http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-cases-sizes.htm

Actually, the base prices are cheaper than All Pelican Cases 4 Less.  The pink foam adds about 6 bucks.  Thanks for the heads up Church Audio.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:29:28 PM by gratefulphish »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
I found a site that lists all of the cases, with the pink anti-static foam as an option.  The model number for each case is the same, it just has an "A-Static" after the number, e.g. 1200A-Static.  http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-cases-sizes.htm

Actually, the base prices are cheaper than All Pelican Cases 4 Less.  The pink foam adds about 6 bucks.  Thanks for the heads up Church Audio.

I'm on the phone with them right now.  They don't provide the anti static inserts for the micro cases, but they are going to look into a special order option.

Edit:  She's going to get back to me by Monday.  I'll post the info when I find out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:37:57 PM by thegreatgumbino »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »
Enough hi-jacking this thread.  I started a new one regarding this issue.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78025.msg1038988.html#msg1038988

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.212 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com