Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Eyeglasses frame plus small Omnis??  (Read 3189 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Eyeglasses frame plus small Omnis??
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:21 PM »
HI folks. In a recent emaling from Minidisco, they list some fairly inexpensive mics from Sound Professionals, attached to an eyeglasses strap.
This struck me as the perfect solution to stealth taping, for a number of reasons.

1. As someone who is blind, I don't actually wear dark shades. It's a stereotype, but hey, that plus a cane would
equal no questions when entering venues! Perfect! I'm gonna start wearing shades if it means they can be wired for sound.

2. Having the OMnis head-worn would provide some HRTF artifacts if the mics
were pointed left and right, or at least some useful baffling if pointed forward.

So, can I adapt my CSB's for this? Has anybody else attempted this? Or, can you recommend any mics more appropriate for this
type of mounting arrangement?

thanks,
Chris

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Eyeglasses frame plus small Omnis??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
Sonic Studios (my company) has produced precision matched stereo-surround type microphones for over 21 years molded with actual eyeglasses holding loops with securing slider that fully function as eyegear holding cords (so eyeglasses can be hung to chest level when not recording).  Other manufacturers offer less-to-more costing mics with other types of eyeglasses mountings using holding sleeves and alligator clips that may suit your needs and deck type.  So you have many choices for these types of mics to consider for performance, build quality, and cost.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »
chris-

first of all welcome.  secondly, can you explain to an ignoramus (myself) how you are blind and using this website?  is it a text-to-speech program with windows or something like that?  hat's off to you, however you do it.

your idea of the CSB's into croakies (eyeglass strap) works pretty well (do you have the CSBs with or without clips?)

good luck to you

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:19:25 PM »
chris-

first of all welcome.  secondly, can you explain to an ignoramus (myself) how you are blind and using this website?  is it a text-to-speech program with windows or something like that?  hat's off to you, however you do it.

Yep, that's about it. I use a program called JAWS (job access with speech) made by a company called Freedom Scientific. If you're only aware of the crappy Microsoft Narrator program that ships with Windows XP, that is a toy by comparison.  Now, if only JAWS didn't cost about a grand... it's actually more than the cost of a PC nowadays. *LOL*

Now, my own ignorant question; what are "croakies"?

Chris

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »
chris-

your idea of the CSB's into croakies (eyeglass strap) works pretty well (do you have the CSBs with or without clips?)

I forgot to answer that one - I have CSB's with the alligator clips.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 03:54:37 AM »
As someone who used guysonic's product for 10+ years I can vouch for the durability, ease of use, and overall efficiency of his eyeglass holding loops.  They are ridiculously easy to put on, just as easy to take off (which comes in handy when you have to break down quickly), and VERY secure... once attached, those babies are going NOWHERE (as opposed to clips which can easily fall off eyeglass frames).  I've since upgraded my mics but the two things I really miss are 1) the eyeglass loops and 2) guysonic's custom molded right-angle connectors... you could drive a truck over those and they'd still be okay. 

I love my HEBs but the various attachment methods I've used are not working for me.  I'm going to have to look into croakies but I'm not sure if that would look funny... how many women wear croakies into concerts??--I just don't know.

Sonic Studios (my company) has produced precision matched stereo-surround type microphones for over 21 years molded with actual eyeglasses holding loops with securing slider that fully function as eyegear holding cords (so eyeglasses can be hung to chest level when not recording).  Other manufacturers offer less-to-more costing mics with other types of eyeglasses mountings using holding sleeves and alligator clips that may suit your needs and deck type.  So you have many choices for these types of mics to consider for performance, build quality, and cost.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline geordy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • masters
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
Chris,

I have taped with my CSBs attached to my sunglasses on several occasions with pleasant results.  I usually run the wires up my back and attach one to each side of my sunglasses, tucking each wire behind my ear underneath the frames.  In between sets, I'll just let my sunglasses hang at my chest, using the CSB wires as a croakie, so to say.  Even when I had an aisle seat and a security guard hung out near me all night, he never noticed the mics.  I like taping this way better than clipping them to my collar, seems the higher you get, the less clapping and other crowd noise I pick up.  I try and keep my head still, but can't say I've really noticed anything on the recording if I do move around just a little. 

geordy
dpa4061 > mma6000 > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »
chris-

Yep, that's about it. I use a program called JAWS (job access with speech) made by a company called Freedom Scientific. If you're only aware of the crappy Microsoft Narrator program that ships with Windows XP, that is a toy by comparison.  Now, if only JAWS didn't cost about a grand... it's actually more than the cost of a PC nowadays. *LOL*

Now, my own ignorant question; what are "croakies"?

Chris

I can sell you a croakie mount for your mics for $15.00 its pretty much my cost +3.00 for shipping if your interested I have these made for me out of coton so they do not block sound and they can be slipped on over your glasses and the mics can be slipped inside the croakie mount. Let me know if your interested I don't want to "sell" you new mics. But I will help you out if I can. I think its one of the best ways to hide mics and still get a great recording.

Chris Church

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com