Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK4's ~vs~ MK4v's  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
MK4's ~vs~ MK4v's
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:30:32 AM »
Why would someone want MK4's over MK4v's . . .  or vice versa?

Can some explain (in lay terms) the differences between the two?
Remember, I'm no techie -- I just know how to push buttons.  ;)
In what conditions would one want to use eacjh of these mics?
Thanks ~
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
Re: MK4's ~vs~ MK4v's
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:51:44 AM »
The capsuls are the same, however V stands for vertical.  If both sets of mic were set up in the club, the bodies on the mk4 would point at the stage, the bodies on the 4v would point at the ceiling.  This means that the capsul inside the head is mounted differently.  The 4v's are just like when you see people run large diaphram mics where the body is vertical but the grill of the mic faces the stage.

Also they sound a little different.  The 4v has a slight hf push.  Basically though the same mic
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »
The capsuls are the same, however V stands for vertical.  If both sets of mic were set up in the club, the bodies on the mk4 would point at the stage, the bodies on the 4v would point at the ceiling.  This means that the capsul inside the head is mounted differently.  The 4v's are just like when you see people run large diaphram mics where the body is vertical but the grill of the mic faces the stage.

Also they sound a little different.  The 4v has a slight hf push.  Basically though the same mic

Mounting on the head, LOL.  I guess you could have spikey hair, right?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
You can see the HF push Senor Nizzel mentions in the frequency response plots below.  The slight HF push will make them just a touch brighter, and some people like the slight HF push to compensate for the loss of HF energy when recording at the distances - and in the environments - we do.  Personally, I don't think they're worth the extra cash and was happy for a long time with my MK4s (before I traded them in / bought MK5s, switchable omni / cardioids).  IMO, if you're gonna spend the cash on MK4Vs, might as well go for the MK5s and get the omni, taboot:

$  600/ea | MK4 (cardioid)
$  985/ea | MK4V (cardioid)
$1,048/ea | MK5 (switchable omni/cardioid)

The MK5s share a slight HF push with the MK4Vs, but not quite as strong a push, and broader in range.

If you're going to buy new, do it soon - prices go up ~8% on Apr 1, I believe (per a thread in the Retail forum).

Dunno if that answers your question, but... $0.02

MK4

MK4V

MK5

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:58:17 AM »
I think the biggest advantage is the physical nature of the cap and the orientation.  The side address orientation allows the caps to be turned on their sides, making placement in a hat much easier for true ORTF and more natural looking.  The orientation also allows for better off axis response.  If you wanna know what I mean, I can send a pic of my kangol set up (that I made with freelunch's help), the thread that I had them posted got taken down for fear of making the security people more wise to stealthers.

Offline Josephine

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I think the biggest advantage is the physical nature of the cap and the orientation.  The side address orientation allows the caps to be turned on their sides, making placement in a hat much easier for true ORTF and more natural looking.  The orientation also allows for better off axis response.  If you wanna know what I mean, I can send a pic of my kangol set up (that I made with freelunch's help), the thread that I had them posted got taken down for fear of making the security people more wise to stealthers.

Shaggy,

I'd love to see the picture of your setup.  I'll send you my email addy in a PM.  Thank you !!

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 02:16:40 PM »
Gotta agree with Brian here. Go with the MK5's over the 4v's.
More options and I prefer their sound over any of the other Schoeps caps.
Cheers, Phil

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
I think the biggest advantage is the physical nature of the cap and the orientation.  The side address orientation allows the caps to be turned on their sides, making placement in a hat much easier for true ORTF and more natural looking.  The orientation also allows for better off axis response. 

I have to slightly disagree here. First, turning the 4v's around backwards in a ortf bar is 70 degrees and it changes the distance between the caps.
This is not ORTF or true ORTF, whatever that means.
2nd, by running them in a hat, it would be virtually impossible to run 4v's in ORTF. I agree that they are easier to run in a hat, but not in ORTF mode, nor would it really matter to run them in any set pattern when inside a hat. Any good pattern will work if you get close enough and keep your head up.

Cheers, Phil

Offline Josephine

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »
So the MK5's are not side address when running as cards?

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
So the MK5's are not side address when running as cards?

The MK5s are axial (end) address (like the MK4s, 41s, etc.) when run as either card or omni.  There's a mechanical switch one slides to switch from card to omni.  Not a close-up, but you can see the switch in the pic from the Schoeps website:

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

sml42

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:06:27 PM »
There's a mechanical switch one slides to switch from card to omni.

Wait... this isn't interchangable caps, this is just a single capsule which does both omni and card?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 04:09:05 PM »
There's a mechanical switch one slides to switch from card to omni.

Wait... this isn't interchangable caps, this is just a single capsule which does both omni and card?

yep. one capsule, two patterns, selectable via switch

sml42

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »

Nice, that's really interesting. I see I need to do more research :)

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »
I think the biggest advantage is the physical nature of the cap and the orientation.  The side address orientation allows the caps to be turned on their sides, making placement in a hat much easier for true ORTF and more natural looking.  The orientation also allows for better off axis response. 

I have to slightly disagree here. First, turning the 4v's around backwards in a ortf bar is 70 degrees and it changes the distance between the caps.
This is not ORTF or true ORTF, whatever that means.
2nd, by running them in a hat, it would be virtually impossible to run 4v's in ORTF. I agree that they are easier to run in a hat, but not in ORTF mode, nor would it really matter to run them in any set pattern when inside a hat. Any good pattern will work if you get close enough and keep your head up.

Cheers, Phil

I am biased obviously, but in the Schoeps ORTF bar then yes the 4V's are not true ORTF. Get a Kwon bar though and you are all set.  :D

Considering Josephine runs 95% of the time stealth I would recommend the 4's or 4V's. Omni's in a stealth setup doesn't seem to be like a good idea to me. You will like the HF bump from the 4V's to compensate for your hat and what it takes away from your recording or whatever you use.

The mk5's are superb caps, but for nearly double the price of 4's I am pretty sure I know what I would do in this situation. If your decision is between the mk5's and 4v's then I would not hesitate to get 4v's considering your application. You should also sell your 41's and get some 41v's. The only hyper out there worth a damn if you ask me.  ;D
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »

Nice, that's really interesting. I see I need to do more research :)

Check out the MK6. Omni, card, and Fig. 8. Although, this cap has some "anomolies" as well.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com