Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help getting started ;D  (Read 2645 times)

Offline freakerdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need help getting started ;D
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
   hey there everyone, Im Dusty
 Im real psyched to get going but i do need some help. I got a pair of sweet mics, ksm137's and i got a laptop, an hp pavilion entertainment pc. I need to power the mics and get a preamp or something before i can plug em into the computer. What kind of hardware/software do i need? I honestly just need some advice of where i should go from here. I want to get started with something inexpensive, I hope to not drop  more a couple hundred more dollars. Any ideas?

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Need help getting started ;D
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:28:11 PM »
A UA-5 has an USB output that can hook up to your laptop. Download Audacity and use it to record.

Head on over to the Yard Sale or eBay and look for one that goes for $100-$150

Offline rufus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
I use a Tascam US144 to plug my mics into my laptop. It comes with Cubase software for recording. It seems pretty nice but more like a home studio thing I think. Not to sure, still new to it. Anyway I've also used Sony Soundforge 8.0 to due some recording and minor editing. It  seems way more basic and user friendly. I'm just telling you what I've tried and I am still looking for software to use for recording shows on my laptop. Hope this helps.

Offline freakerdude

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:42:48 AM »
thanks for the suggestions, i think im going to wind up going with ua5 to start up. i didnt see one over at the yard sale but it was a cool forum to check out. I have four identical mics, and i just posted two of them up there. from what i hear, more than two of these is overkill. what do you think?

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
thanks for the suggestions, i think im going to wind up going with ua5 to start up. i didnt see one over at the yard sale but it was a cool forum to check out. I have four identical mics, and i just posted two of them up there. from what i hear, more than two of these is overkill. what do you think?

+T for finding the board.  Four of the same mics is probably overkill, especially until you get to four track recording capability.  Most people with multiple mics pick pairs with different polar patterns, such as card and omnis, or hypers, or subs, or full size and stealth, but you will rarely see anyone here with four of the same mic.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »

I think with enough cable and tracking power to do 4 channels I'd set up two different configurations, maybe in two different locations (ie: x/y stagelip + DIN fob) so you basically have two different sources (albeit from the same mics) to compare and possibly matrix.

That would be ideal for picking out what location and configuration works best for a particular type of band, or in a particular venue.

Edit to add: Of course, you'd be looking at two UA5s if you want to go that route, but the extra $150 or so bucks would definitely be worth it to me.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 06:00:50 PM »
you can get a Tascam US122 for dirt cheap since they've been replaced by the 144. I use one for my laptop in the field since it is completely bus powered and it is great for the price....I would say that the pres in this thing are comparable to the Presonus Firebox or stock UA5. But it is bulky and clumsy to use in the field if you plan on keeping it in a bag, it really is only usable on a flat surface.

I have not used my UA5 for my laptop yet.... I run it digi in on my PMD670.

Might run the install on the UA5 tonight and see if I can run all my stuff at once:

Tascam US122 - 2 channels via usb
UA5 - 2 channels via usb
Firebox - 2 channels + (2X Joe Meek VC3Q into 3/4) = 4channels via firewire

all into Adobe Audition on 4 seperate stereo tracks at 24/48.

edit : the ua5 installed and operated easily with Adobe Audition at 24/48...

Audacity and CD Wave Editor both recognize UA5 for recording...Audacity can take advantage of higher bit depth.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:53:07 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com