Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09: what mic and pre set up for concert and nature sounds rec? Help!  (Read 3445 times)

Offline entropia.calante

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm a novice taper and have a few question for you expert taping people.

Two words to introduce myself: my name is Maurizio from Italy; just bought from ebay a very good Edirol R-09, but as some of you knows, internal pre is a lot noisy.

I need to purchase a mic and a pre and reading forum I've made myself the idea that a Church pre and mics could be right for me.

My main purposes are to sthealth record some live gig (mainly jazz) for myself and also I need to record some nature sound (e.g. birds and other animals). I have a CONDENSER SHOTGUN cardioid for these nature sounds that seems to work well (Audio-Technica ATR55 Telemike), but also here I need more amplification (but not noise).
I was wondering if Church-Audio STC-9000 stereo cardioid microphone system (with STC-11) selling on eBay for 200$ could be good both for concerts and for nature sounds (only the preamp with ATR55).
I've already seen the Church-Audio ST-9100 stereo microphone preamp that seems with better spec (but only 20 dB gain versus 30 dB of STC 9000).

I need the maximum gain so 30 dB is really better than 20 dB...indeed 9000 is far cheaper...that is not bad at all! Grin. But really I do not understand very well the differences in performances and field of use of both two pre.

Maybe some of you can help me to choose??? I would be very greatful, maybe directly good Mr. Church could answer to me ...I hope.
Please have my best wishes to all the forum... a very very good people to learn from.

Bye, Maurizio

P.S. And what about SP Preamp and SP Preamp 11, that have both a stunning 42 dB gain...?

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
I have the CA STC-9000 and cards package and am quite happy with it. Not quite sure what you mean here:

differences in performances and field of use of both two pre

That equipment would work well for both, but I think shotguns would be better for nature if you're focusing on one specific area mostly. ;)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline entropia.calante

• Taperssection Newbie
I mean that I'm pretty sure that CA STC-9000 and cards package it's okay for concert recs, as you said me, but my doubt is if the 30 dBs of its gain could help me in recording natural sounds with my shotgun or if I have to go for more gain...for example buying an SP-Preamp-11 that have 42 or 50 dBs of gain.
So thanks for now

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Check this site for wildlife sound recording:
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/index.html
;)
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Maurizio, what happened to the previous thread on this issue?

Arni99, thank you very much for the suggestion. If I had > 50 posts, you would get a +T.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Maurizio, what happened to the previous thread on this issue?

Arni99, thank you very much for the suggestion. If I had > 50 posts, you would get a +T.
thx, not necessary, i donĀ“t care for tickets and never use it myself anyway....;)

Offline entropia.calante

• Taperssection Newbie
Hi you all,

I was trading for buying from one of you very good guys of the Forum, a very good setup...I think and hope.
I've choose it  (AT843 & ST-PREAMP) also thanks to the very good suggesions of kind Arni 8)
So, as I very new in forum...what are these tickets and what is their purpose?

Now I'm waiting for mics and pre  ;D I'm exited abot test them ::)

bye to all

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Hi you all,

I was trading for buying from one of you very good guys of the Forum, a very good setup...I think and hope.
I've choose it  (AT843 & ST-PREAMP) also thanks to the very good suggesions of kind Arni 8)
So, as I very new in forum...what are these tickets and what is their purpose?

Now I'm waiting for mics and pre  ;D I'm exited abot test them ::)

bye to all
thx ;), you bought the at853 mics + sp-preamp and not the 843s ;).

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hi,

In my opinion, you made an excellent choice in your mic and preamp purchase....( Thanks again  ;D ) .....

In regards to the tickets, please click this link...It is a more eloquent  explanation than I can provide..   http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83324.0.html

Peace,
jk

Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline entropia.calante

• Taperssection Newbie
ok ok  :o now understand all about those tickets...

well for now the only things that I'm interested in...are that I met good people, I've learned some new things and in a few days I will use some new interesting gear.

Thanks you all men

Ciao e pace

maurizio

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Came in a little late but I think you made a good choice. If you end up not being happy with them check out the SonicStudios web site.  It's a mess but you can get a general idea of what GuySonic makes and then email him with your requirements/questions and he will get you what you need.  Not a great www site... but great customer service and product.

I run:
DSM-6SM -> PA-3SX -> R-9.

I've done a few shows recently that I torrented where peoples comments said in multiple places best recording of the tour so far (so subjective.... but I like the sound and agree).  They were competing against DPAs, Countryman lavilears, and  722s for a fraction of the price.  The last was the Phx Zappa plays Zappa and it is up on dime if you want to hear samples.

Another bonus is that with the R9, PA-3SX, and DSM mics you will pass wands at security with no problems.  I've taped at least 50 shows with the combo that had wands at security and everything made it through no problems.

As an added bonus in the PA-3SX pre amp the 2 batteries last around 500-600 hours.

Stay Kind,
Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
If you need more gain for nature stuff, you can run the mics > preamp > R-09 into the Mic in.... instead of Line In.  I'm not sure how much noise you will pick up, but there should be plenty of gain there.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline entropia.calante

• Taperssection Newbie
I've also considered stuff from Sonic Studios, but preamp was out of my budget and, at first, it seems not so different from SP-Preamp...I dont' know ::)
For the mic in with preamplification I think there will be a llot of noise, but I surely try.

my best
maurizio

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com