Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: advice on interconects...  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
advice on interconects...
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
so I am still working on the playback end.  Now I'd like to build some nice interconnects.  anybody have any advice on decent *affordable* bulk wire and plugs for interconnects.  I'll need wire and rca's for all the components and wire and banana plugs for all the speakers.  any advice?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: advice on interconects...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:48:34 AM »
'Affordable' can mean a lot of things, what did you have in mind?

For interconnects I've been enjoying the eichmann bullets lately.  You can pick them up from www.vhaudio.com for about the least that I have seen.  They also have some other nice stuff.  As for Bananas I use monster bananas that I picked up from J&R (I was in the other day, looks like they no longer make them or J&R doesn't carry them, the ones I have were maybe $20 for a set of 8 and were pretty nice quality, how they only have the twist lock kind that I don't really dig) and canare star quad [4s11 i think]from www.markertek.com right now.

I've picked up a couple sets of interconnects from better cables www.bettercables.com they are SPC with eichmann bullets and are of nice build quality if you're looking for something pre-made, I think they were in the ballpark of $70 for 1m, considering the bullets are $40 its not a bad deal.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

cshepherd

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
What does your stereo system consist of? 

What are you currently using for interconnects and speaker cables?

Chris

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »
receiver,
tape deck
cd player
dvd player
phono
aux (computer line out)
satelite reciever

5.1 speaker playback.

currently using cheap generic interconnects (the shit that comes free with components) and generic rat shac 14g speaker cables.

I am thinking about picking up a good sized roll of some mil spec silver clad and techflex and some decent rca/banana plugs and just going to town.  I'm looking for good suggestions on plugs, wire resources... etc.

really want to hear some opinions about weather to get smaller diameter higher quality cable or larger diameter lower quality cable.  which is better?  should I build home depot style extension cord speaker cables or smaller diameter silver clad?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
I made my speaker cables with Canare Star Quad 4s8 & Dayton Audio banana plugs. It was super easy and they sound great!

For interconnects, I had fozzy make me some RCA cables using the Belden 1804a cable. They are top notch as well.

cshepherd

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
Speaker cables require significantly larger conductors than what an interconnect uses. I'd recommend 14 AWG or larger for speaker cable.  The Home Depot Extension Cord story is a farce and wouldn't be any better than the Radio Shack cables you already own.

It looks like you have a lot of interconnects to build for your system.  I'd recommend looking at some the better-rated Canare or Belden for bulk interconnect wire.

Chris

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
It looks like you have a lot of interconnects to build for your system.  I'd recommend looking at some the better-rated Canare or Belden for bulk interconnect wire.

Chris

got any input on what better rated would be?  should interconnects use the same type of wire I would use to build xlr's?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

cshepherd

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
I'm not familiar with Canare and Belden catalog numbers, but I'm sure some others around here are.  Look for things like better metal purity and heavier / multiple screens. 

Our starter cable package consists of Atlas 3.0 OFC speaker cable (12 awg / terminated) and a set of Atlas Questor ICs for $325.  The speaker cable is available unterminated for $13.50 per meter, but it's a little large for bare wire connections.

Chris

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »
i got some twisted pairs of silver teflon sitting around (24 AWG, and some 22 AWG) if you would like to expirement with those.  I cna take pics if you want too...
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com