Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic input on Korg MR-1  (Read 3297 times)

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic input on Korg MR-1
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:15:53 PM »
I'm thinking (okay, dreaming) of getting a Korg MR-1. Since I just got a set of MM-HLSC-1 mics that I would like to use with it, I have a couple of questions: Would this adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103860&cp work for plugging in a mic with a 1/8 unbalanced stereo plug? Also, how much power (volts) does plug in power on this device provide? What can I expect for battery life if I'm recording mic in with plug in power? Thanks.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Mic input on Korg MR-1
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »
I'm thinking (okay, dreaming) of getting a Korg MR-1. Since I just got a set of MM-HLSC-1 mics that I would like to use with it, I have a couple of questions: Would this adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103860&cp work for plugging in a mic with a 1/8 unbalanced stereo plug? Also, how much power (volts) does plug in power on this device provide? What can I expect for battery life if I'm recording mic in with plug in power? Thanks.

This adapter will work with MR-1 ONLY if turning OFF deck mic phantom power (important if deck has this feature at all) AND using a proper battery box to power the mics BEFORE going into this adapter.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »
I don't think this deck provides phantom power. There is a mic that comes with the deck that apparantly terminates in a pair of balanced 3.5mm plugs. The deck has two 3.5mm jacks (l/r) and a mic power switch that is supposed to provide ~3 volts plug in power to the mic.

From the user manual (available as a PDF from the korg website):

"15. Mic Power Switch
 This switch supplies power (+3V) when using a plug-in power type mic. Turn this on if you're using the included mic (CM-2M).
 ! You mist leave this off if you've connected a line input or dynamic type mic. Leaving this switch on could damage your mic or line input              device."

I just want to be sure that I can use this to power my MM-HLSC-1 mics. If the adapter that I asked about won't do the trick, is there one that would? Thanks.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29:26 AM »

3 volt mic powering as claimed feature of KORG MR-1 is safe (although not optimum for your mic liking 5-9 volt powering), so trying with the adapter is OK under these conditions.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
just order the mics (or have them mod'd) so that they terminate in two mono plugs.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. If I lay out the money for the MR-1 it may take a while before I can get a pre or a batt box to power the mics, so it's god to hear that I can use the 3v power of the MR-1 (though not ideal) until I can get an external power source.

I have the mics already. What is the advantage to having them modded vs using an adapter? How much should I expect to pay for such a mod?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. If I lay out the money for the MR-1 it may take a while before I can get a pre or a batt box to power the mics, so it's god to hear that I can use the 3v power of the MR-1 (though not ideal) until I can get an external power source.

I have the mics already. What is the advantage to having them modded vs using an adapter? How much should I expect to pay for such a mod?

Advantage of having mic naturally terminate in two miniplugs is one less mini-connection to maintain as fully connected and very free of noise-inducing fingerprints (these need wiping clean before connecting up).

Disadvantage with having mic fixed with dual plugs is now your mic cannot be easily used with better powering than provided by MR-1 deck, and mic cannot be used with any other model of deck if you desired to do so, or at least without dual minijack-to-stereo adapter to convert back to ministereo plug like you have now.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
then a custom cable from an outboard BB is the way to go.
maintains the stereo mini on the mics (for other decks) and everyone is happy.
I would think one could pick up such a cable as this for around $40.
:)
stereo 3.5mm > 2x mono 3.5mm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com