Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: possible upgrade?  (Read 8889 times)

Offline jobseek2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
possible upgrade?
« on: December 27, 2007, 04:18:39 AM »
Hello,

I have been using the Sennheiser variant of the MM HSLC-1's, I believe they have 40 in the type number.
These miniature cardioid mics work well with a classic DIY batterybox (9V, resistor, capcacitor, etc).
I like the clip that comes with them.
Only 'problem' so far is that in front of some stacks I get bass distortion when I get real close.

So...

What would I consider for upgrade?
Cardioid, small, no preamp, etc?

Or...

Maybe wait for the newer DPA408x versions?
Do the 3-wire 2K2 mod?

Any real info's out there?
Great leads towards a real upgrade?

JS

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: possible upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
You could get the Senns modded with a 2.2k or 4.7k resistor to lower their sensitivity for high SPL situations.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
check this thread for related information:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94582.0.html
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
Thanks very much for the info.
After some searching I found that Sennheiser specifies an 8K2 resistor at 5V for the 3-wire situation in their elec-wire.pdf file.
In the discussions about 3-wire I see 4K7 and 2K2 mentioned.

Currently I have the two wire setup with 9V and the 8K2 resistor.

Which 3-wire resistor is the right one?

Also:

From the answers I gather that there is no real upgrade possible at this point in time?
The mics are good enough when used (powered etc)  properly?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
Thanks very much for the info.
After some searching I found that Sennheiser specifies an 8K2 resistor at 5V for the 3-wire situation in their elec-wire.pdf file.
In the discussions about 3-wire I see 4K7 and 2K2 mentioned.

Currently I have the two wire setup with 9V and the 8K2 resistor.

Which 3-wire resistor is the right one?

Also:

From the answers I gather that there is no real upgrade possible at this point in time?
The mics are good enough when used (powered etc)  properly?

You should use my 4.7k mod to do this all you have to do is remove the 3.5mm jack that is on your mics now and solder a 4.7k 1% matched metal film resistor in between ground and the white wire on your mics after that you will not have the distortion issues. You must do the same for both sides... So you should find very small resistors if possible 1/8th watt or Surface mount are preferred. It takes a bit if skill to do this so if your not up for it you can send them to me. I charge $25.00 for it because I replace the jack and its very time consuming to do it right because of the space issues. Your mics distortion level is 6% at 114db at 1k after my mod its 05% at 114db at 1k.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:32 AM »
Thanks a lot for the offer.

What I meant with the 8k2 mention by Sennheiser:

Which value is right?

My mics have a Lemo coaxial plug. Can you handle those and replace by mini-XLR Lemo?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »
Thanks a lot for the offer.

What I meant with the 8k2 mention by Sennheiser:

Which value is right?

My mics have a Lemo coaxial plug. Can you handle those and replace by mini-XLR Lemo?

If your having distortion issues with your mic convert it to two wire via a 3.5mm stereo plug and then use my mod you dont need all of this three wire nonsense to get the best performance out of your mics.

Chris

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:40:18 AM »
It's an interesting option.

Can anybody please explain how and how well the Churchaudio mod will work versus the full 3-wire setup?

Would that resistor fit in a coaxial Lemo plug as used on the Sennheiser?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
Since you're relatively new here, you probably haven't read a lot of Chris Church's posts and other members discussion of the quality of his work.

If Chris says "If your having distortion issues with your mic convert it to two wire via a 3.5mm stereo plug and then use my mod you dont need all of this three wire nonsense to get the best performance out of your mics" that is what his tests have shown. He's not saying it to get $25 from you for the mod (which I'm sure is quite a bit of work).

Unless you want to go 3 wire for some other reason, I'm confident that your mics will perform to the best of their ability with the 4.7 k mod, whether you do it yourself or have Chris do it. I believe the modded mic has about 12 DB reduced sensitivity, however, so if you wanted to also use them for quiet show, you might need a preamp.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:13:29 AM »
I believe the modded mic has about 12 DB reduced sensitivity, however, so if you wanted to also use them for quiet show, you might need a preamp.

...and Chris has just such a preamp, ST-9100. :)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:46:51 AM »
I believe the modded mic has about 12 DB reduced sensitivity, however, so if you wanted to also use them for quiet show, you might need a preamp.

And there's the rub...all of the sudden the mod doesn't cost $25 (which a GREAT deal IMO, you probably can do the mod yourself [I did] but it's probably more aggravation than $25 is worth) but rather $255.

What recorder are you using, and do you often record quiet shows?  If you usually record fairly loud shows and/or you have a recorder with a good built-in preamp, the 4.7k mod (or 2.2, which gives you a little more distortion but costs you less gain) without a preamp may be fine.  If you often are already requiring nearly as much gain out of your recorder as it can give you cleanly, you'll need want a preamp if you do the 4.7K mod.

Also, which of the Sennheiser wiring schemes are you currently using?  Maybe switching to the one with lower gain will solve your problems.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »

And there's the rub...all of the sudden the mod doesn't cost $25 (which a GREAT deal IMO, you probably can do the mod yourself [I did] but it's probably more aggravation than $25 is worth) but rather $255.

What recorder are you using, and do you often record quiet shows?  If you usually record fairly loud shows and/or you have a recorder with a good built-in preamp, the 4.7k mod (or 2.2, which gives you a little more distortion but costs you less gain) without a preamp may be fine.  If you often are already requiring nearly as much gain out of your recorder as it can give you cleanly, you'll need want a preamp if you do the 4.7K mod.

Also, which of the Sennheiser wiring schemes are you currently using?  Maybe switching to the one with lower gain will solve your problems.

You dont necessarily need a preamp after the mod. The reduction in gain in most cases can be made up with a very loud show by the internal devices preamp and you dont need a battery box with a recording like an r-09.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:14:08 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed. Doing the 4.7k mod would just lower the levels a little, with the music being loud anyway it won't make a ''huge'' difference. So you wouldn't need a pre-amp.

$25 is a bloody STEAL for Chris to do the mod, I've just got my mics back and they look great. The new jack looks a 100 times better than the previous jack and now I'm more confident that I can run these without any distortion.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed.

He says "Only 'problem' so far is that in front of some stacks I get bass distortion when I get real close."  So most of the time the music isn't loud enough to cause distortion.  The key issue is how often he tapes quieter shows, I agree that for loud shows (even those not quite loud enough to have problems with distortion) he wouldn't need a preamp.

Roving Sign

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed. Doing the 4.7k mod would just lower the levels a little,

Not sure I'd call it "a little..." - I forget if the reduction is 6 or 12db - but either way - thats a lot IMO...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com