Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: possible upgrade?  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: possible upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed. Doing the 4.7k mod would just lower the levels a little,

Not sure I'd call it "a little..." - I forget if the reduction is 6 or 12db - but either way - thats a lot IMO...

12 db of gain is alot but when your talking a really loud show its not that much because your signal to noise ratio will be very low. Besides if you were running three wire you would have a loss of 13.5 db or so. 12db can be made up by most internal preamps with a really loud SPL but there are cases where an external preamp will be necessary.
I just dont want to come off as someone that is trying to "push" my gear onto people.  ;)
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:19 PM »
stepping back from the stack, a wee bit, is probably the easiest fix.

Actually these mics have pretty poor SPL handling.. When wired in a 2 wire configuration. Like the AT 853 series there best performance only comes out when you go three wire or use my mod.

Chris

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 01:49:57 PM »
As I said, I'm not too technical so I'm probably wrong, lol.

All I know is that while my mics were 'away' I loaned some AT933 that had the low-sens mod done and I taped a loud rock show (from a few metres in front of SBD) with a standard battery box into my R-09. Levels on R-09 were at 10 and it was peaking around -15.

Even when amplifying in post, I can't hear the noise floor at all, I suppose its because of 24-bit.

In the long run, I guess its best to get a preamp because then you're fixed for loud and quiet shows but its not ESSENTIAL imo when having the mod done.

What I'm trying to say is you don't need to drop $225 or so at the 1 time. You can get the mod done for $25 and then save up for the preamp in the long run if need be.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline jobseek2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed.

He says "Only 'problem' so far is that in front of some stacks I get bass distortion when I get real close."  So most of the time the music isn't loud enough to cause distortion.  The key issue is how often he tapes quieter shows, I agree that for loud shows (even those not quite loud enough to have problems with distortion) he wouldn't need a preamp.
Indeed. The problem occurs sometimes. Not all the time or too often. Only in the more extreme situations, but my ears w/ cotton handle the SPL, so why not the mics?
The R-09 is at 4-7 or so, line in; so there is plenty of gain (or less attenuation) to go. I even could increase the battery box resistor somewhat to get more signal into the line in.

Would it be possible to fit a resistor inside a Lemo Coaxial plug as used by Sennheiser? Or would near the mic capsule be the best location?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 11:22:02 AM »
How is that true?? (I'm on about that you need a preamp after the 4.7k mod). I'm not very technical but I guess that if someone is having distortion issues then the music must be loud indeed.

He says "Only 'problem' so far is that in front of some stacks I get bass distortion when I get real close."  So most of the time the music isn't loud enough to cause distortion.  The key issue is how often he tapes quieter shows, I agree that for loud shows (even those not quite loud enough to have problems with distortion) he wouldn't need a preamp.
Indeed. The problem occurs sometimes. Not all the time or too often. Only in the more extreme situations, but my ears w/ cotton handle the SPL, so why not the mics?
The R-09 is at 4-7 or so, line in; so there is plenty of gain (or less attenuation) to go. I even could increase the battery box resistor somewhat to get more signal into the line in.

Would it be possible to fit a resistor inside a Lemo Coaxial plug as used by Sennheiser? Or would near the mic capsule be the best location?
If your using a lemo connector your still running three wire. My mod only works if you convert the mics to "two wire" and rewire them to a 3.5 mm stereo plug. btw after this mod any 5 volt plug in power source provided the mic input it self will not overload will power these mics just fine. And increasing the voltage to 9 volts has very little effect on the mics distortion performance. So if you want to really "fix" the problem you have to cut off the lemo connectors or make a 2 wire battery box that uses lemo's and is actually two wire.

So what would happen is you have three wires in your lemo connector one red, one white, and one ground.

The ground and the white wire would have a 4.7k resistor between them, the red wire would become your signal wire. The white wire would "would not be connected to anything but the 4.7k resistor. And you would only be using two wires now from each mic. You would then have to build a simple battery box with a pair of 4.7k resistors going from the + side of a battery directly to the red wires. Then you would have a set of 10uf caps going from the red wires to your battery boxes output. The ground wire would simply continue on to the output terminal of your battery box. That's it. Pretty simple I am sure there are lots of pictures floating around of this circuit. If you want to get really fancy you can put in a DPDT switch across both 4.7k resistors and use the switch to "short" them out. This will then give you back the 12 db of gain loss from the mod and allow you to use your mics in situations where your tapeing acoustic stuff. PLEASE FORGIVE my crude drawing... I am not very good at drawing anything but this was the best I could do.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:17:11 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »
OK, if you're using an R09 you could probably go with the 4.7K mod and be fine with no preamp, I use 4.7K modded AT853s and the R09 provides enough clean gain for all but acoustic shows, and I believe the MKE40s are significantly hotter than the AT853s.  But the R09 doesn't provide a full 5V of plug in power so you might still need a battery box, although I've taped moderately loud rock shows with no problems, I'm never right up against the stacks though.

One thing to keep in mind though, if you have the 4.7K mod done right in the (rather big) miniplug connector the way most people do, that could put extra strain on the R09's fragile input jack.  Might want to do something like what I did, doing the mod in a little bulge along the length of the cable, actually putting the resistors in at the same point you connect the bare leads from the mic cables to some lighter, more flexible wires attached to a low-profile right angle miniplug like you could scavenge from some cheap headphones:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90977.msg1254469.html#msg1254469
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:12:50 PM by Will_S »

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks for the input.
I will try to find a place that can do the mod to see if that helps.

Suggestions for mic upgrades (no phantom, no pre, small, cardioid) remain welcome.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Suggestions for mic upgrades (no phantom, no pre, small, cardioid) remain welcome.

The Church Audio or AT853 mics will offer better bass extension, but there is a nice flavor to the HLSCs.  If you're happy with the bass you get now, I wouldn't call either an upgrade, just a lateral move.

There's really nothing else in plug-in-powered cardioids that's an improvement on this trio IMO.  Maybe the mini cards coming from DPA will fit the bill, judging from the stats the version they have out now is really lacking in the low end.

DPA 406X or Sennheiser MKE2s could be nice if you'd consider omnis.

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
Question: "Would it be possible to fit a resistor inside a Lemo Coaxial plug as used by Sennheiser?"

Answer: "If your using a lemo connector your still running three wire."

A coaxial plug would normally mean that there are only two conductors.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the input.

In all the years I have been taping I do find the Core-Sound Cardioid ( the $ 250 version ) the best mic for my needs. I have heard many recordings with different mic's and everytime I just come back to the good old CSCD's.
Why I like em so much ?
Just because they capture the sound the way I like it. I record a lot of metal and the main problem are the bassdrums and the bass. I have tried the MM highline's. And I totally dislike the way they capture the bassdrums. I have tried equalizing those recordings but nothing ever can fix those overdone bassdrums. They just capture too much of a bass to me. Same for the binaural's. Now I know some people come up with bass roll off's and all that stuff. But why bother doing all that stuff when there is a mic that capture's enough bass yet not too much ?
I know the con argument's against the CSCD's. Many fellow tapers find them too thin. All I can say is that most concerts sound treble anyway. I have never heard a concert where you hear bass the way a general binaural mic capture sthe sound. It sounds so fake to me , all that addded bass. If I remove my earplugs for a moment during a gig generally all you hear are the higher tones.

It doesn't hurt trying them out I'd think.
I only wish I knew about CSCD longer than just since 1998...it would have made my older recordings ( done with different mic's ) better sounding...

I honestly think Len's a genius for building such a great mic !
I will never change to a different mic again.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Alchemy

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 11:59:21 PM »
I wouldn't rule out the AT 943s either. After listening to many 853 tapes and running 943s myself, I find I like the sound of the 943s better. What the 943s lack in "fullness", they gain in detail. And you better believe those mics will pick up plenty of bass if positioned correctly. They are also smaller for stealth applications.

I also would not rule out the three wire powering option. Mini-XLR connectors are huge plus considering the secure connectors.  Using three wire powering is a much more proper way of powering AT microphones.

Also, in the case of loud shows, you don't need an external pre that will just end up overloading on you.

moke is right on too IMO, come away a bit from the stacks!  :P
(Stand wherever you'd like, this is merely a suggestion.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:05:38 AM by Alchemy »

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 07:19:44 AM »
Question: "Would it be possible to fit a resistor inside a Lemo Coaxial plug as used by Sennheiser?"

Answer: "If your using a lemo connector your still running three wire."
Lemo is just a brand name and the plug I have on the mics is coaxial. (as I wrote)

The cable has three wires some of which are shorted at the connector.

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »
I think I had enough input after posting my question.
I am now researching ways to mod the mics to the Churchaudio 4K7 situation.
I'd say an smd resistor at the capsule is the nicest solution. Let's hope I can find someone that can do this.

nameloc01

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »
The debating is insane....the most fool-proof,simplest,way to run the 853s is with a phantom power setup. Modifying the mics so they "work" some less expensive alternative way seems to me...well...just plain silly.          unless i am incorrect..the mod will not make them perform -and this is key...exactly !- like a phantom setup. Right?

Offline Will_S

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
The debating is insane....the most fool-proof,simplest,way to run the 853s is with a phantom power setup. Modifying the mics so they "work" some less expensive alternative way seems to me...well...just plain silly.          unless i am incorrect..the mod will not make them perform -and this is key...exactly !- like a phantom setup. Right?

Actually this is wrong, as has been stated multiple times the capsule sees the same thing with direct wiring to a 3 wire battery box or with phantom ADAPTERS taking phantom power and converting it into the same thing the capsules see with direct 3 wire power.  The capsules NEVER see phantom power, if they did, they'd fry.  The 4.7K mod is different, but offers the same performance.

And phantom power is not the simplest way to actually run in the field.  Much simpler in the field to simply plug 4.7K modded mics directly into a suitable preamp or even the mic in of suitable devices, rather than futz around with the bulky adapters and a phantom supply.

Edit:  I suppose an argument for the phantom ADAPTER route is that it keeps the mics stock as provided by AT, and therefore this could help with warranty issues etc.  The same would be true of 3 wire power through mini XLRs though, as long as you keep the long stock wires.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:15:52 PM by Will_S »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com