Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414's (which ones should I get???)  (Read 8707 times)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
AKG 414's (which ones should I get???)
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
Steve Kimock just called me and said he wants to start using AKG 414's to mic his guitar amp. We used them for our studio album, the dvd and lots of shows. He really liked the way they sound.

What I was wondering is which ones to get. There are 3 kinds listed on the website:

AKG C 414 B-XL II http://www.akg-acoustics.com/site/products/powerslave,id,782,pid,782,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html
AKG C 414 LTD http://www.akg-acoustics.com/site/products/powerslave,id,987,pid,987,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html
AKG C414 B-XLS http://www.akg-acoustics.com/site/products/powerslave,id,781,pid,781,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html

We obviously need one that can handle a high SPL. When Rudson (Ramrod's son) was working with the band, he would use 414's on Steve that he got from the GD studio. Not sure which ones they were, but they were nice.

Any input from 414 owners would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:27:04 PM by Charlie Miller »
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AKG 414's (which ones should I get???)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
Charlie.....I used to run the xls's....they may be overkill since all you will be doing with them is using them on the amp.

edit:  when you talk to Kimock again, tell him that the weather in Memphis is nice.  He should come visit and play for us :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:35:39 PM by spreadheadtom »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
I am pretty sure that the XL are specifically designed for instrument micing:

An Improved Version Of A Studio/Stage Classic!
With new useful features, improved technical specifications, ease of use and available accessories, AKG's C 414 B-XL II launches the next generation of AKG microphone quality. This update of a classic microphone maintains its distinctive timbre especially designed for recording or live reproduction of solo vocals and solo instruments

What do I know? I have a pair of XLS and I have never run the XL II's.

easy jim

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
All three have -6, -12 and -18 db pads on the mics and can handle very high spl without difficulties.

The XLS are more flat in terms of freq. response, so they would probably be the best of the three and the most commonly used for micing loud guitar amps.

The XLII are transformerless and have a presence bump in the mid/high with female solo vocals in mind, so less suited in my opinion due to likely EQ issues in the mid-high range

I believe the LTD are the same as the XLS, with the one exception of being transformerless on the output stage...other than that, they are just more $$$ and have a different finish/factory markings  (the freq. response charts are slightly different and show more of a mid-high bump with the LTD vs. the XLS version)

:'( so sad I just sold mine...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:46:44 PM by easyjim »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
All three have -6, -12 and -18 db pads on the mics and can handle very high spl without difficulties.

The XLS are more flat in terms of freq. response, so they would probably be the best of the three and the most commonly used for micing loud guitar amps.

The XLII are transformerless and have a presence bump in the mid/high with female solo vocals in mind, so less suited in my opinion due to likely EQ issues in the mid-high range

I believe the LTD are the same as the XLS, with the one exception of being transformerless on the output stage...other than that, they are just more $$$ and have a different finish/factory markings  (the freq. response charts are slightly different and show more of a mid-high bump with the LTD vs. the XLS version)

:'( so sad I just sold mine...

Thanks for the professional opinion. Now I know, "and knowing is half the battle".  - G.I. Joe

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the professional opinion. Now I know, "and knowing is half the battle".  - G.I. Joe

well, not really professional... ::)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
I believe they're all transformerless (XLII, XLS, LTD....even the older TLII).  Not the old ULS, though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:10:37 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
Thanks for all of your input. +t all around...

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

easy jim

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a pair of 414s micing Trey's amp in the Live in Brooklyn Phish DVD.  Maybe it was one for the PA and one for the recording? Or maybe as two fig. 8 w/ different spacing from the amp + phase cancellation?  Anybody know?

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
I believe they're all transformerless (XLII, XLS, LTD....even the older TLII).  Not the old ULS, though.

That's my understanding, as well.  I'm a new with my xls, though, so I'm as interested as anyone in this thread.  I hope Skalinder chimes in as he ran xls for quite some time and in many different applications.

Another notion I hold, and disabuse me of this if it's incorrect, is that the xls is primarily for acoustic up close instrument mic'ing.  That's why I got mine.  I know they DO work well for that application, but I don't know that they don't work well for other applications, e.g., electric guitar amp mic'ing.

Finally, the first night I used them I had a problem with the wav squaring off on the bottom of the wav form (as described here with graphic wav image).  I'm going to experiment with using rolloff & attenuation pads, and I need to rule out the reflection from the hard wood floor, as well.  The squaring off happened to a MUCH lesser extent when I recorded a PA'd show from 30' back (also documented further down that thread I linked), which leads me to think it's an attenuation/rolloff issue more than anything else (or that something else altogether is happening).  My concern is that Skalinder said he never used attenuation and rolloff and never had a problem.  He didn't get specific on the applications, though.

Anyway, anxious to hear some more replies to this thread.

And Charlie, I think Steve will really dig whichever 414 he ends up with.  It's a killer sounding mic and will complement his "sound" very nicely.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a pair of 414s micing Trey's amp in the Live in Brooklyn Phish DVD.  Maybe it was one for the PA and one for the recording? Or maybe as two fig. 8 w/ different spacing from the amp + phase cancellation?  Anybody know?

If he is running a stereo amp and using true stereo effects then two mics would be needed, one for each speaker.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

easy jim

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
Finally, the first night I used them I had a problem with the wav squaring off on the bottom of the wav form (as described here with graphic wav image).  I'm going to experiment with using rolloff & attenuation pads, and I need to rule out the reflection from the hard wood floor, as well.  The squaring off happened to a MUCH lesser extent when I recorded a PA'd show from 30' back (also documented further down that thread I linked), which leads me to think it's an attenuation/rolloff issue more than anything else (or that something else altogether is happening).  My concern is that Skalinder said he never used attenuation and rolloff and never had a problem.  He didn't get specific on the applications, though.

Possibly the output of the mic was overloading the inputs of your pre? (If so, using the pads would help)  I know the signal output of the 414s is pretty hot compared to a lot of other mics.  When I used them on stage, I would often only need to add a little or even no gain on the pre-amp to get a really nice signal.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:33:34 PM by easyjim »

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »

If he is running a stereo amp and using true stereo effects then two mics would be needed, one for each speaker.

what Brad said

for fun I dug up this input list from the 2001 TAB tour...
http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0205Extras/anastasio.html

Guitar left              AKG 414
Guitar right            AKG 414
Guitar leslie left      Sennheiser MD 409
Guitar leslie right     Sennheiser MD409
Guitar leslie low       EV RE38
Boomerang             Countryman DI
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
Let us know what you end up going with and can't wait to hear the results.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
I'm thinking C 414 B-XLS

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com