Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed on sp-cmc8-mics..  (Read 11426 times)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help needed on sp-cmc8-mics..
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »

Three wire power does NOT require the phantom adapters. 

he is right here

You can run the miniXLR terminated mics directly into a suitable 3 wire battery box or preamp.  Not many people offer them but I believe Chris Church can make you one if you wish. 

he is right here. Some where around here you can find plans for making a  3 wire battery box. I know "Sanjay" (don't know if that's still his name) did make a few a bit back

The phantom adapters do nothing but add bulk, although if you've got them you might as well use them.  There's nothing inherently bad about them (other than the bulk) but not worth seeking out IMO.

they do add bulk. But they do do more than that. Like nameloc01 said
The adaptors step dowm the 48v to a smaller usable voltage. 

if some how you ran the 853's into phantom power you would kill them.

Edit:  Also, there's nothing "inferior" about the "low sensitvity mod" offered by SP vs. the 4.7K mod invented by Chris Church.  It's the same thing.  One might not like the fact that they copied it (then again, it's not as if Chris patented it and I doubt he gets rich doing it for people, seems like he's doing you a favor by offering the mod at the price he does), but it performs exactly the same because it is the same.  I'd suggest if someone is buying a new set of mics from SP they might as well have SP do it rather than wait for the mics to arrive from New Jeresey only to ship them off to Canada.

from where i am standing i don't see why anyone would do this mod when you could just get a good 3 wire battery box made. Hell, with my 933's a lot of the time i'm looking for more gain.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
And lastly...if you find a porta 48v supply built better than a denecke ...letmme know. Good luck on that one.

Man whats with all the tude.. I like questions but you are trying really hard to come off like you know more about these mics then I do.

Chris

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
i find it weird that you dont realize that i know they dont see the whole 48v...one of my main points is to avoid using homemade bb's mods and what not. Ya' know ...just plug in and go. Jesus christ talk about dense.                     what would you rather haue ...a stock 67' fastback...or one made with parts with numbers from 4 different ones?  Both mustangs right?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »

The phantom adapters do nothing but add bulk, although if you've got them you might as well use them.  There's nothing inherently bad about them (other than the bulk) but not worth seeking out IMO.

Yes, that is correct.  If you are running the mics into a preamp that provides phantom power, you would want the adapters.  Or, you could turn off the phantom power from the preamp and run the mics into a 3 wire box and then into the preamp.  But teaming the AT853s up with a PS-2 which provides phantom power but is not a preamp seems pretty silly to me.

nameloc01

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
Chris....no tude intended....i just personally have not seen a porta 48v that i would choose over a ps2.  Hmmm. I didnt even realize i was still talking to you.sorry.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »

Three wire power does NOT require the phantom adapters. 

he is right here

You can run the miniXLR terminated mics directly into a suitable 3 wire battery box or preamp.  Not many people offer them but I believe Chris Church can make you one if you wish. 

he is right here. Some where around here you can find plans for making a  3 wire battery box. I know "Sanjay" (don't know if that's still his name) did make a few a bit back

Edit:  Also, there's nothing "inferior" about the "low sensitvity mod" offered by SP vs. the 4.7K mod invented by Chris Church.  It's the same thing.  One might not like the fact that they copied it (then again, it's not as if Chris patented it and I doubt he gets rich doing it for people, seems like he's doing you a favor by offering the mod at the price he does), but it performs exactly the same because it is the same.  I'd suggest if someone is buying a new set of mics from SP they might as well have SP do it rather than wait for the mics to arrive from New Jeresey only to ship them off to Canada.

from where i am standing i don't see why anyone would do this mod when you could just get a good 3 wire battery box made. Hell, with my 933's a lot of the time i'm looking for more gain

The main reason to do my mod is simple you want to reduce the size of your gear. The second thing to remember is three wire also reduces the output by 12.5 db. My mod reduces the output of the mics by 10.5 db. And you can use my mics after the mod with a standard plug in power input and not have to use a battery box.

For example when using my mics with a R-09 you dont need a battery box to power the mics you can use the 5 volts of plug in power and still have the same performance of a 9 volt battery box. And last but not least my preamp does more then just a regular battery box it adds flavor and warmth to the signal.

Thats something you dont get with a regular three wire battery box. But for the people that want to keep there mics stock I make a 9100 with my 4.7k mod built in so in situations where you need more gain you can switch my mod off and run the mics standard 2 wire and get 30 db of over all gain above standard three wire Or conversly turn on my mod and get 20 db of gain + very high spl handling.

My question is why would someone not run my mod if they were going to stealth with the mics they use?

Chris

nameloc01

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »
Okay...how about this...anyone know of a 3wire bb that is built as rugged as a ps2? and less than $200.00 cause if you do...i'm on it ( warranty needed)  i guess thats what it comes down to.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
My question is why would someone not run my mod if they were going to stealth with the mics they use?

If they were using a Marantz PMD660 or similar all in one that has XLR inputs and provides phantom power?  That's the only situation where the phantom adapters make sense to me.  Or if using a full size external preamp, but that's not very stealthy.

Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with running a PS2+adapter set up if you already have one, and a couple years ago it might have been your best option.  But for someone buying new, it doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:40:09 PM by Will_S »

nameloc01

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:09 PM »
The u853>cbm40s>ps2 could be a little stealthier. Lol...oh well they pull the sick ones. No offense meant ladies...i, myself (and others i know) just prefer stock (mics and bb's/parts)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »
nameloc01, you are mistaken about this entire topic...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »
Okay...how about this...anyone know of a 3wire bb that is built as rugged as a ps2? and less than $200.00 cause if you do...i'm on it ( warranty needed)  i guess thats what it comes down to.

Yeah I make one out of ABS that you can drive over with a truck and it will still work does that count? lol...

nameloc01

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Whats abs? A type of plastic? If so that would be sweet for the gigs utilizing multiple metal detection devices. Whats the $ on that unit?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
Whats abs? A type of plastic? If so that would be sweet for the gigs utilizing multiple metal detection devices. Whats the $ on that unit?
Its $5k but your mics will be stock when you use it.  ;D

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
LMFAO!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

nameloc01

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
Ummm...my computer crashed like 3 months ago and all of my posts here are done on my cell which has great limitations. My question to you about that unit was a serious one...was your response serious or not? That unit seems very interesting to me.      thanks                   j

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com