Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small, Affordable mics  (Read 8867 times)

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Small, Affordable mics
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »
Hello, everybody!  I have been reading this site for a while, and decided it was time to jump into the fray.

I am going to be getting an Edirol R09 or a Marantz PMD620 in the next day or two.  I have been to the shop and compared the price vs. features of many of the small recorders and narrowed my choice down to these two.

I want to run small microphones into them, both straight in to the mic input with plug-in power and through a pre-amp (I am thinking about a Church Audio ST-9100).  Can anybody recommend a good pair?

I have considered DPA 406x, Sennheiser (MKE2, I think?), AT (853 or 943), and Church STC-11.  The DPA's are really tempting, but a bit pricey for me, especially for a first pair.  I am also concerned about omni versus cardioid.  Seems like most of the people here use cardioids, but some of the mics (like DPA) seem to be available only in omni.

I will be recording mostly jazz (acoustic and electric) and rock (some quite loud).  So, that's my story.  Can anyone lend a hand?

Thank you all in advance!  Oh, and thank you for the great stuff on this board which has already helped me a lot!
What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Small, Affordable mics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »
Omnis are great when things are just right but cardioids do a better job in marginal situations, and still sound quite nice when everything's just right.

I'd go with the Church audio cards to start out.  You can add the omni capsules later if you decide you want them.  I like the AT853s as well and they also offer the flexibility of interchangeable capsules, but I don't think they merit the higher price than the Chuch Audio mics.  Either will work very nicely, but the Church mics are a better deal IMO.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »
If I didn't have all that crap in my sig and was starting out, I'd get a Church Audio package. Give it some serious consideration.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
Have taken the PMD-620 deck apart and like what I am seeing like input jacks with through hole solder pads; no break-off-the-board input jacks here as opposed to R-09 'break-away' types.  Below are two quickly made photos showing top/bottom of input jacks at top of first of two PCB boards inside the 620.  Notice the solder pads for the input jacks go through to other side of the board (ROLAND take note on right way to do board mounted jacks on R-09 model 2!)

Omni's are my favorite for clear, clean off-axis sound with extended solid low frequency response, but matter of taste as most here seem to like cardioid with thinned out bass and hyped (that for me is most irritating) mid-range response that's also typical of some omni's like DPA 4060 types.  But as said, this is a personal taste thing. 

I have many music recordings using flat sounding omini type mics at www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

For moderate-to- loud music venue, I think 620 needs no external preamp for very good quality pop/rock recording purposes.  But with external preamplifier, low noise for even pure acoustic using 620 is excellent. 

Preamp used for this test shown at: www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#3sx

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  Interesting stuff.  I have read about this jack problem with the R09; maybe I go with the Marantz.

Perhaps, this is a silly question, but does having switch-able caps lead to worse quality?  In other words is it better to have a pair of omni and a pair of cardiod caps on the same bodies or two pairs of mics (one omni, one cardioid)?  Some of the shows I see are in concert halls with well-behaved crowds and spaces designed for acoustics (which seems ideal for omnis), while others are in loud clubs or big halls (which seems like cardioids would be better).

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »
I have considered DPA 406x, Sennheiser (MKE2, I think?), AT (853 or 943), and Church STC-11.  The DPA's are really tempting, but a bit pricey for me, especially for a first pair. I am also concerned about omni versus cardioid.  Seems like most of the people here use cardioids, but some of the mics (like DPA) seem to be available only in omni.

Are they the right price for a second pair?   Spend all you can on mics, and then a little more.  What can't be captured won't be recorded.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
Perhaps, this is a silly question, but does having switch-able caps lead to worse quality?  In other words is it better to have a pair of omni and a pair of cardiod caps on the same bodies or two pairs of mics (one omni, one cardioid)?  Some of the shows I see are in concert halls with well-behaved crowds and spaces designed for acoustics (which seems ideal for omnis), while others are in loud clubs or big halls (which seems like cardioids would be better).

Switchable caps just gives you more options, it doesn't decrease any quality.  You can walk into a venue with your omni caps on the bodies and if you change your mind you can whip out the cardoids.  If you have mics that don't have switchable caps, you are basically stuck with whatever you brought to the venue.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:32:54 AM »
I have considered DPA 406x, Sennheiser (MKE2, I think?), AT (853 or 943), and Church STC-11.  The DPA's are really tempting, but a bit pricey for me, especially for a first pair.  I am also concerned about omni versus cardioid.  Seems like most of the people here use cardioids, but some of the mics (like DPA) seem to be available only in omni.

All good options.  Get the best mics you can afford, save yourself an upgrade later.  With a battery box, a pre won't be an absolute necessity unless you're recording quiet sound sources.

That said, you can make great tapes with a cheap rig & crappy tapes with an expensive rig.  Like a restaurant, in this hobby it's "location, location, location."  Get the best rig you can afford, & learn to find the sweet spot.

Have fun!
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »
Are they the right price for a second pair?   Spend all you can on mics, and then a little more.  What can't be captured won't be recorded.  8)
All good options.  Get the best mics you can afford, save yourself an upgrade later.  With a battery box, a pre won't be an absolute necessity unless you're recording quiet sound sources.

Hmmm.  This is something that hadn't occurred to me.  It is just so pricey to get started (recorder, pre/b-box, mics, cables, cases, bags, stands, etc.) that I was trying to constrain the overall cost a bit.  But if I upgrade my mics in six months or a year, I won't have done myself any favors long term.

I really appreciate all of your comments.  I like the idea of having omnis and cardioids, so maybe switchable caps are a good route.  Any opinions as to which mics with switchable caps are most worth considering?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:12:28 AM »
IMHO you get by far the most bang for your buck with the Church Audio cards and they are good enough that you probably wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade anytime soon (except perhaps to try out the omni caps for them).

I love the Church-Audio ST-9100 and his mini battery box, but I hadn't tried his cards in the field until a couple of days ago. I used them to record some friends' cover "band" (actually 2 grand pianos & vocals) as a 2nd rig directly into a MicroTrack 1 (which I also had never used in the field due to the many reported problems) . My main rig was a set of DPA 4060's →ST-9100 → iHP-120. 

I was stunned how good the Church cards sounded. Practically indistinguishable from the DPA's in that particular setting and a bit less crowd noise. In other recording situations I'm sure that won't always be the case, but suffice it to say that the Church cards sounded really good.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Belexes

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
If you don't opt for the Church mics, AT's would be your other choice. I have 943 bodies with switchable caps.  If price is a huge concern, opt for the Church mics and end your search.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
If you don't opt for the Church mics, AT's would be your other choice. I have 943 bodies with switchable caps.  If price is a huge concern, opt for the Church mics and end your search.

Do the AT943's terminate with a 3.5mm (1/8") plug?  Any idea who sells (hopefully matched) pairs of these terminated that way?  I see them on the Sound Professionals website, but only as single mics, not pairs. 

Thanks for the input, Belexes!

Offline Belexes

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »

Do the AT943's terminate with a 3.5mm (1/8") plug?  Any idea who sells (hopefully matched) pairs of these terminated that way?  I see them on the Sound Professionals website, but only as single mics, not pairs. 

Thanks for the input, Belexes!

Sound Pros has pairs with 1/8" terminations:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-CMC-8.jpg

Church Audio also terminate to 1/8" come as a matched pair.

Life is full of choices.  :)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 12:00:16 PM »
Spend a lot of time listening to other peoples recordings (like http://www.archive.org/details/etree) and try to decide what YOU like the sound of.

More importantly, consider what you are going to do with them.  If you are going to be open taping with a stand, then probably the best newbie choice is cards, and you spend a little time learning how to mount them in some sort of standard configuration (like DIN).  If you are stealthing, then omnis tend to be a common choice because they are less fussy about how you point them while they are hidden.  Yes, you can stealth cards, and run split omnis in the open, but that tends to take a little experience to get that dialed in.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

~~~~~~ I would give these package deals serious consideration ~~~~~~~~~~
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94770.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90474.0.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:06:36 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
Sound Pros has pairs with 1/8" terminations:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-CMC-8.jpg

Church Audio also terminate to 1/8" come as a matched pair.

Life is full of choices.  :)

Sorry, I didn't see that!  Strangely, when you search the Sound Professionals' site for "AT943", that product doesn't show up.

At any rate, this problem is solved for the time being.  A friend of mine saw this thread (I have been using the professorhalfbaked e-mail address for a while), and e-mailed to tell me that he got new mics for Christmas and he will loan me his Church STC-11's for as long as I need them.  I will go with those for a while as I take SmokinJoe's advice and study the other mics I am interested in.

Thanks for all the help!  I'll +T you all when I can!

Also, guysonic:  I assume those are the mic-in and headphone jacks in your photos?  I just got my Marantz today. ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com