Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small, Affordable mics  (Read 8868 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Small, Affordable mics
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »
Have taken the PMD-620 deck apart and like what I am seeing like input jacks with through hole solder pads; no break-off-the-board input jacks here as opposed to R-09 'break-away' types.  Below are two quickly made photos showing top/bottom of input jacks at top of first of two PCB boards inside the 620.  Notice the solder pads for the input jacks go through to other side of the board (ROLAND take note on right way to do board mounted jacks on R-09 model 2!)

Nice detective work.  Looks like the chip, AIC32 is the same as the Edirol R09.  Are there any preamp (opamp) chips in front of this?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »

Also, guysonic:  I assume those are the mic-in and headphone jacks in your photos?  I just got my Marantz today. ;D

Right you are, MIC input/Phones output are shown. 

Also found that PMD-420 allows mic powering upgrade changing two easily accessible resistors on the facing side of the first board, so my brand of DSM mics can be directly powered after doing this modification.

Likely no preamp chips, all codec like R-09, but difficult to tell for sure without circuit diagram like provided in a repair manual for this deck.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:53 AM »

Also found that PMD-420 allows mic powering upgrade changing two easily accessible resistors on the facing side of the first board, so my brand of DSM mics can be directly powered after doing this modification.

It says in the manual that the PMD620 provides 5V of plug-in power.  How much additional power do you get with your modification?  Is this necessary for small mics, like the Church Audios or the AT943s?

What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »

It says in the manual that the PMD620 provides 5V of plug-in power.  How much additional power do you get with your modification?  Is this necessary for small mics, like the Church Audios or the AT943s?

Measure 'unloaded' 4.4 volts which is minimum good operating voltage for these other mics that also draw much less current with different self-limiting current bias characteristic. 

DSM mics work best in opposite way with 1.5-2.5 low voltage being best. and also draw up to 10 times more current (gives lower noise/distortion advantages).  Downside is reliance on less common current limiting resistor value for working bias. 

With most newer decks having low voltage electret mic powering feature, current limiting resistor inside gives too much current and needs changing for DSM mic.

I found mic powering modification somewhat practical with R-09 deck, and now way easier on PMD-620, while Sony PCM-D50 deck is ONLY model found in many years perfect as-is stock for at least DSM mic powering.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »

Measure 'unloaded' 4.4 volts which is minimum good operating voltage for these other mics that also draw much less current with different self-limiting current bias characteristic. 

DSM mics work best in opposite way with 1.5-2.5 low voltage being best. and also draw up to 10 times more current (gives lower noise/distortion advantages).  Downside is reliance on less common current limiting resistor value for working bias. 

With most newer decks having low voltage electret mic powering feature, current limiting resistor inside gives too much current and needs changing for DSM mic.

I found mic powering modification somewhat practical with R-09 deck, and now way easier on PMD-620, while Sony PCM-D50 deck is ONLY model found in many years perfect as-is stock for at least DSM mic powering.

So, if I understand you correctly, the PMD620 is fine as is and would only need this modification for the DSM mics?  Sorry to hit you with the stupid question, but I am new to this and don't get all of the electronic-speak 100% yet!

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
I also have AT943 mics with cardioid and omni capsules.  Bought them about 4 years ago and I've been very happy with them, but judging from the recordings I've heard Church's mics sound just as good and they're considerably less expensive.  I think you'll like your new recorder too.  Look forward to hearing some of your recordings, good luck!

Omni's are my favorite for clear, clean off-axis sound with extended solid low frequency response, but matter of taste as most here seem to like cardioid with thinned out bass and hyped (that for me is most irritating) mid-range response that's also typical of some omni's like DPA 4060 types.  But as said, this is a personal taste thing. 

Hey Guy, I don't think it's a matter of preferring the sound of cards for most of us, we're just trying to focus on the music and minimize the off-axis chatter and other audience noise prevailing in most places where we tape.  I always use omnis when I'm recording in someone's living room.  Thanks for the PMD620 photos, nice to see what it looks like on the inside! (and reassuring news on the line-in jack)
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »
I hear great things about these chuch mics but where can one buy them?
Google really didn't do anything in my favor this time.
Can I get a website of their mics?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »
I hear great things about these chuch mics but where can one buy them?
Can I get a website of their mics?

There're a few threads in the Retail Space forum from CA and others:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

One of the CA threads probably probably also includes a link to the Church Audio eBay storefront.  Or worst case you could PM/email Chris Church at his TS handle:  Church-Audio.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
Well, I said I would come back and +T you all for your help when I was able, so here they are!  Thanks once again.  I have been impressed by the quality of a lot of the information on this board and by everyone's willingness to lend a hand.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com