Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Boosting levels when mastering adds too much punch  (Read 7355 times)

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
Re: Boosting levels when mastering adds too much punch
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »
Maybe roll off the highs?  If they're what you think are too harsh.

Maybe try normalizing using a limiter, to help with the crowd vs. music ratio (tho of course it'll decrease the dynamic range like compression).

I dunno, just throwing out ideas. :)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »
Maybe roll off the highs?  If they're what you think are too harsh.

Maybe try normalizing using a limiter, to help with the crowd vs. music ratio (tho of course it'll decrease the dynamic range like compression).

I dunno, just throwing out ideas. :)

That's actually what I was just doing. I'm also trying to roll off the snare with the eq. I usually don't eq this heavily but it seems the punch is still there, unfortunately.

I am still researching the plugins. I heard some more good things about the waves today.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 07:56:13 AM »
Waves makes great plug-ins, but as stated above they are a little pricey.  What you can do, however, is download a trial version of the Waves plug-ins.  Make an account of their site, sign in, find the plug-in you want to use and download a trial version of it.  I did this recently, and it did what I needed it to do.  Loaded it up in Pro Tools, fixed my file and bounced the track out.
481(3)>722

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
what mic configuration and what was the rig?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
Waves makes great plug-ins, but as stated above they are a little pricey.  What you can do, however, is download a trial version of the Waves plug-ins.  Make an account of their site, sign in, find the plug-in you want to use and download a trial version of it.  I did this recently, and it did what I needed it to do.  Loaded it up in Pro Tools, fixed my file and bounced the track out.

I have been thinking about doing that. +Thanks for the prodding. I will try them out.

what mic configuration and what was the rig?

Church stc-11's with either cards (usually DIN) or omni's (usually A-B) > Church CA-9100 > R-09 or H4

I haven't tried aiming the mics up like I see some people doing. I point them at the speakers, usually the outside. I think I may try pointing the omni's up next time I'm at a loud show, or if I am relatively close to the drummer, or if I am at a show with a loud drummer.

Is this why they do this? I know they must prefer the sound but I am wondering if it limits the crack of the snare and the smash of the crashes and cymbals.

The shows I am working on sound really great except for that one issue. Maybe I'm a little too picky with my modest equipment but I think I can fix this with hope that I can also retain the quality that i have been getting.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
Waves makes some nice Plugins for this

i use L2 with all my recordings - they have since replaced that with the L3 Ultramaximizer

second this, I think the waves ultramaximizer works very well.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:58 AM »
Waves makes some nice Plugins for this

i use L2 with all my recordings - they have since replaced that with the L3 Ultramaximizer

second this, I think the waves ultramaximizer works very well.

Yes, but it's cost prohibitive (unless you just need it once, then you can download the 14 day Waves trial...or of course if you're using one of those "grey market" versions... :P)

Kevin, if you're working in ProTools you may also want to try Stephen Massey's L2007 Mastering Limiter (http://www.masseyplugins.com)  It's TDM and RTAS, and is unlimited time trial version (you just can't save the settings when you close PT).  If you like it, the cost is only $89.  A lot of folks I know have ditched L2 and L3 in favor of Massey.  It sounds quite outstanding.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
Ill give it a try.  Do they have a trial version?
481(3)>722

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »
Ill give it a try.  Do they have a trial version?

Yes.  It's an unlimited trial - fully functional except you can't save the settings when you close PT.  So you have to reset it each time.  Not exactly a big deal, but it's WELL worth the $89 investment (as are ALL his other plugins!)
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
My biggest problem lately is this:

When recording very dynamic music I am conservative with the levels and the peaks only reach about -6 to -3dB so the many quiet parts of the music seems too soft when I play it back. When I raise the levels after they are I recorded this low it seems way too loud during the louder parts and has a punch that almost knocks your head off. Also, many times it is the crowd that is the loudest so it's hard not to have the music at these lower levels. It's some work to lower the crowd independantly in mastering but that isn't any problem compared to the overwhelming punch that happens when I raise the levels.

I am looking for a way to make the recordings louder but smoother and not so harsh with all that punch. I could try to be more aggressive with setting my levels when recording but I hate distortion and we all know about fixing that. I hope there is a way to control this either when recording or in post.

I have tried a few things but have been unsucessful. Suggestions really appreciated.

If you want to send me a bit of the file in question so I can see what I can do on my end. If I find a good solution I will let you know what I did..

Chris
Send me a pm if you dont have my email address.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 06:41:11 AM »
Kevin, if you're working in ProTools you may also want to try Stephen Massey's L2007 Mastering Limiter (http://www.masseyplugins.com)  It's TDM and RTAS, and is unlimited time trial version (you just can't save the settings when you close PT).  If you like it, the cost is only $89.  A lot of folks I know have ditched L2 and L3 in favor of Massey.  It sounds quite outstanding.

Hey, +Thanks a lot. I will check out this L2007 limiter. It sounds like it might be what I am looking for.

My biggest problem lately is this:

When recording very dynamic music I am conservative with the levels and the peaks only reach about -6 to -3dB so the many quiet parts of the music seems too soft when I play it back. When I raise the levels after they are I recorded this low it seems way too loud during the louder parts and has a punch that almost knocks your head off. Also, many times it is the crowd that is the loudest so it's hard not to have the music at these lower levels. It's some work to lower the crowd independantly in mastering but that isn't any problem compared to the overwhelming punch that happens when I raise the levels.

I am looking for a way to make the recordings louder but smoother and not so harsh with all that punch. I could try to be more aggressive with setting my levels when recording but I hate distortion and we all know about fixing that. I hope there is a way to control this either when recording or in post.

I have tried a few things but have been unsucessful. Suggestions really appreciated.

If you want to send me a bit of the file in question so I can see what I can do on my end. If I find a good solution I will let you know what I did..

Chris
Send me a pm if you dont have my email address.

I would like to take you up on that. I am getting ready to go out of town for the weekend. If I don't get it to you in the next few hours, I will send it to you next week. +Thanks once again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com