Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: noob: got overloading, after some advice  (Read 2466 times)

Offline towanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
noob: got overloading, after some advice
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:35:27 AM »
I taped a band at one venue with my R-09 set at input level of 12 (second show i ever taped) and the levels were a little low. So when i taped them a few days later at a different venue, with the input level still on 12 (the pre is fixed gain) i only bothered to look halfway through the first song (i did check during the opener) and noticed that it was overloading. I dropped it down to input level of 8 which worked except for one song later in the set that i only noticed when i transferred the file to my pc.

It sounds OK to me  :-[, but i'm concerned about sharing it. I got izotope RX and tried the declipper on it, but it only sounded worse, to me. It dropped some of the peaks down, but the ones that remained made clicking noises, which it didn't do prior to my attempt at fixing it. Of course, it's quite possible i didn't use that program correctly.

Obviously the right channel is a little lower, and there's quite an audible volume difference when i dropped the level during that first track. I guess i would bring the levels up after the input level drop to try and fix that.

Either way, just looking for some advice on how to proceed here. I'll post some screens, i can post audio samples if that will help.

Regards, noob

The whole file

The first track (the main problem)

The track later in the set

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: noob: got overloading, after some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »
I think that recording is probably fine. If it sounds fine, it is fine.  You've got clips in that 1-2 minute area, but they are clearly separated. We've all done that, and I don't think there is much you can do to "fix it".  Just throw in a note "some clipping during first song".

The torrents sites are full of people who love to download our tapes, and then criticize us because it isn't perfect.  Most of them aren't tapers.  if anyone harasses you for sharing it, then they need to get a life, and you shouldn't take it to heart.  This is a hobby, you are learning, and everyone makes little mistakes.

I generally start off with the levels low, and then bring them up a bit, watching them pretty closely the first song or two.  I suggest you target for peaks of -6db, and then have a little more headroom.  Then just bring it up in post.  Especially if you can run your R09 at 24bit, this won't add noticeable hiss.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »
If you got distortion during the peak program material I don't think there is a whole lot you can do.
But you can use the volume envelope tool to reduce the volume during the hottest parts, then bounce to a new track and apply some light compression, maybe 3:1 and see how it sounds.
If there are substantial "faults" in the recording I don't share it. It goes on the lesson learned heap.
my .02
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »
Especially if you can run your R09 at 24bit, this won't add noticeable hiss.

OT: 24 bit will help to alleviate hiss when normalizing, etc?!
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:02:16 AM »
iZotope RX will help with the clipping. It's a $350 audio restoration program, but cheaper from retail.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:05:19 AM »
It sounds OK to me  :-[, but i'm concerned about sharing it. I got izotope RX and tried the declipper on it, but it only sounded worse, to me. It dropped some of the peaks down, but the ones that remained made clicking noises, which it didn't do prior to my attempt at fixing it. Of course, it's quite possible i didn't use that program correctly.

iZotope RX will help with the clipping. It's a $350 audio restoration program, but cheaper from retail.

any advice with this program, beyond the declipping?  I've heard good things about, but am not familiar,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:43:41 AM by paulbaptiste »
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
towanda, that looks like the screen from Adobe Audition. If so, you've got a very good "declipper" already, without paying any extra for (whatever else). It's under Effects.Noise Reduction.Clip Restoration and you can begin by trying the built-in presets. Soon I think you'll understand what it's doing.

Naturally this effect follows Mark Davis' "Law of Conservation of Goodness": If a recording only needs a little bit of help, then processing is much more likely to work well than if the recording needs a lot of help. But the waveforms you showed us don't look so bad compared to some. I'd encourage you to give it a try.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:06:40 PM »
Audition's clip restoration does, indeed, work pretty well.  You'll want to select only the portion(s) of the waveform you want to fix.  Sometimes it's possible to apply a single clip restoration against a whole range of clips.  Other times, I've had to apply to smaller groups of clips, and occasionally even to each individual peak.  FWIW, I sometimes encountered clicks between the unedited portion of the waveform and the start/end of the portion I edited.  Aligning the left and right selection boundary to zero crossings seemed to solve the problem.  If memory serves, there's a menu command to move the cursor and/or selection left/right to the closest zero crossing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »
Your ears are your guide.  I've pulled tons of shows that have wave forms illustrating ">0db" yields, but there is no audible clipping.  The digital signal does indeed clip over 0db, but that doesn't always mean you'll hear it, especially if it's an isolated "blip".  The key is not to run over 0db consistently.  It's good to roll hot, but don't compromise your overall recording when you can bump it a hair or two in post.

Remember, a tapers do it best, in post!  :djsmilie:
Socks are overrated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com