Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Build Super Duper Thorens TD 150 Teaser  (Read 9549 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Build Super Duper Thorens TD 150 Teaser
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »
I have an ad hoc wiring of the tonearm while I'm waiting for some small bits to do it right. Testing everything out with Dire Straits BIA. Through headphones things sound pretty good so far.  The Adcom was a real bargain in its day and seems to boogie pretty well with the Jelco right out of the box.

I'll give this table a whirl through the weekend to really get a sense of what it does and doesn't do.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
I've run the Adcom into my Acoustech ph1p and straight into my AI M3a. In comparison to the Benz MO.90 it is a little less refined and not as wide soundstage but there are way too many variables; different table and arm. What I can say is that this is a very nice sounding combination; modded TD 150, Jelco and Adcom and will makes someone really happy.

However, because I really love Denon's DL103, but didn't have one, I bought one and just finished modding it. It has been relieved of its body and is now naked with a 3mm carbon top plate. It has also been potted and after the epoxy dries, it will be mounted on the Jelco and given a spin for a few days. This should be the cat's meow, as the arm is a perfect match for the 103.

I also ordered a dust cover for the table. It will take a few week to get but should finish out the project. So far, I'm really happy with the results and look forward to running it through, to see what it is capable of.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »
I've been tweaking the table and it is almost there. I've been really impressed with the Jelco 370 arm. It is a really great tracker and has worked with the cartridges I thrown at it. It lets the true timbre of the cartridge come through, whether that is colored or neutral. I have no problem recommending this arm for any table and is a flat out value beyond its cost. However, I must note that I am running a Project carbon fiber headshell with it, which, i believe, elevates the arm a notch or two.

I've been really happy with how well this system works with my AI M3A's phono section. It is clean, dynamic and fast and without etchings. When I switch over to my Acoutech it's , " wow" ! A few more weeks of listening and tweaking then I will aggressively be selling it, err maybe? When I think about it I could get much more for my TD 850 and not loose much, or anything, sound wise. Now that says a lot.

Building and tweaking is sure a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:16:37 AM by raymonda »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
Very nice, raymonda!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
I've just installed the Cardas cartridge tags. These are really nice tags to work with. They are nice and flexible, with lots of wire to loop and little stress. They are also better than the tags that came with the ProJect headshell and should perform on a higher plane.

The table is fully set up now and has been maximized for use with a record weight. It can also run with an outer rim weight or sans everything. The dust cover should be to me in 10 days or so and will finish the project. At that time I'll post final shots.

Anyone in the Ithaca area interested in checking out the table should contact me and we can take her out for a spin.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com