Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Techflexing Milab VM-44 Link Cables  (Read 16879 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Techflexing Milab VM-44 Link Cables
« on: January 23, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »

I would like to techflex the pair of cables that came standard with my Milab VM-44 links.  These cables are ~ 10' in length and a real bear to try and keep straight when in use or not in use.  The cables constantly get tangled or knotted up.  I would love to tame that tangle with techflex.  Have any of you used the Techflex Flexo F6 split braided product? 

https://www.techflex.com/prod_f6n.asp

Flexible, Semi-Rigid Wrappable Split Braided Tube

F6’s unique split, semi-rigid braided construction makes it the ideal solution for situations where ease of installation is of primary importance.

The lateral split allows the tube to open up to accommodate a wide variety of bundling requirements, and the  semi-rigid braid configuration simply closes around the entire installation without the need for any additional  fasteners (velcro, tape, etc.)

The 10 mil PET braid is lightweight, quiet and flexible. The 25% edge overlap (at nominal diameter) allows coverage around inline plugs, connectors and splices.

F6 will bend to a tight radius without distorting or splitting open and, unlike full rigid tubing, will not impair or affect the flexibility of harnesses. F6 allows for the addition or removal of wires without disassembly.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/F6N0.13BK100/1030-1075-ND/2502518

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/F6N0.25BK100/1030-1077-ND/2502520

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Techflexing Milab VM-44 Link Cables
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »
This is the techflex that I used on my Milabs and it has worked great for the last 5 years.  I used 1/4" but you could probably use the 1/8" if you want it thinner.  The Milab cables are thin.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/f6-wrap-around/
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »

Thanks John!

After doing a little more searching thanks are also due to DigiGal for providing this link in 2013 for the cheap availability of this product in 25' quantities:

http://theelectricaldepot.com/braided-sleeving-techflex-general-purpose/techflex-flexo-f6-wrap-split-braided-sleeving

Techflex Flexo® F6 Wrappable 1/8" Split Braided Sleeving 25' - $7.09

Techflex Flexo® F6 Wrappable 1/4" Split Braided Sleeving 25' - $10.31

I'll try the 1/8" size and report back here on the results.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:33:07 AM »
Let us know how it goes... I might want to do this too.
sometimes though I want the spacing or "low-Profile" of the current small cables  >:D
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
Marking thread.  Been contemplating the Techflex route on my Links for a few years now.  Please keep us posted. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »

I should have an update for you on the techflexing this weekend.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Not Milab VM-44 Links...but Naiant AKG Coupling and PFA...The binder is a similar diameter...I used 1/4 TechFlex.

Ran out of the right sized shrink Tubing...so you could do a nicer job...

1. Shrink tube the two snaked cables together (protects microphone cables from glue and techflex)
2. Slide TechFlex over the shrink tubed cables and then hotmelt glue the Techflex
3. Have a second shrink tube ready to slide into place (while glue is still hot/moving) Shrink over the hotmelt glued techflex.

Going on Two Years...holding up well.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:43 AM »

I was wondering how the Techflex went after our talk a cpl months ago :) You went with the F6 Original? Or the F6 Woven Wrap?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »

I was wondering how the Techflex went after our talk a cpl months ago :) You went with the F6 Original? Or the F6 Woven Wrap?

Honestly, I am on hold with this.

I purchased 25' each of these two sizes of techflex (1/8" & 1/4"), but I still haven't used either.  I think the thing that is holding me back is that the 1/8" techflex appears to be too small and the 1/4" techflex appears to be too large.What I need to do is to lay out the cables to be techflexed to try and get them as straight as possible before I go to the next step. 

Techflex Flexo® F6 Wrappable 1/8" Split Braided Sleeving 25' - $7.09

Techflex Flexo® F6 Wrappable 1/4" Split Braided Sleeving 25' - $10.31

http://theelectricaldepot.com/braided-sleeving-techflex-general-purpose/techflex-flexo-f6-wrap-split-braided-sleeving

In the meantime I've been running these mics 007 with the additional pair of 6' Milab cables that I ordered with the original purchase of the mics.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:56:38 AM by dactylus »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
Thank you for the update, dactylus.  Found myself occasionally wondering about the outcome of this - glad to see the project is still on your periphery.  When you get to it, please let us know how things work out. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »

^
Thanks.  I will let you know once I "straighten out" the existing cables and try to squeeze them into the 1/8" techflex, which is what I'd really like to wind up with.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »
There is a photo of the 1/4" F6 techflex in this post from the Team thread, http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153650.msg1976262#msg1976262
I also thought it was too bulky. I tried the 1/8" F6 with the Naiaint X-X cables and it was a really tight fit. The two cables didn't really let the techflex fully surround them.

Now that I am thinking about your goal, have you tried the regular 1/8" or 1/4" techflex? If you were to unplug the cables from the body, then slip the binders, one right after the other, inside of the expandable braiding, you might be able to fish both through and get the cables inside.

I did this with a pair of Countryman B3 mics that were terminated to a single 1/8" stereo plug, but the capsules are smaller than the binder plugs, and it has been awhile so my memory of how I did it is a bit hazy. I may have used some 9/64" brass tubing to slip inside the techflex and expand it, then put the capsules inside of the tubing, slipped the length of tech flex I wanted over the tubing onto the cables, then removed the tubing from the techflex. You might be able to use a plastic straw that could be cut away later. That might be enough to get you started. I can check to see if I have some leftover techflex in my bag o' stuff.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
^

I have not tried the regular 1/8" Techflex.  The proprietary Milab connectors on one end of the cable might be an issue there.  I need to investigate this and quit talking about it.   ;)

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
I used the 1/4 '' and it's a little loose but super easy to install and no tangled cables makes for a really quick setup and breakdown. It only took like 10 minutes to put on, give it a whirl.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »
^

I have not tried the regular 1/8" Techflex.  The proprietary Milab connectors on one end of the cable might be an issue there.  I need to investigate this and quit talking about it.   ;)

Sorry I'm late to this thread...

Not being a fan of 'wrappable' techflex, I think the best solution here would be .25 Techflex Petco (Techflex PTN0.25) (see Hypnocracy's post above). The MiLab connectors are not proprietary. They are Binder 719 connectors (Part # 09 9789 71 05) and easily removed / resoldered. The pinout / color code is below and any of the community cable makers or savvy DIY'ers should be able to do this work. It's small connector that requires better than average soldering skills, but definitely doable.

1 white w/ blue strips
2 blue w/ white strips
3 solid blue
4 ground
5 solid white

Even better is that you can then splice in mini-xlrs (or other suitable connector) to make an extension cable. There's nothing worse than having to literally tape the microphone bodies to a 10+ foot stand. I made a nice spliced set for JFCB who can attest to this. You could also make a Binder 719 extension cable, but adding even more of those connectors to the signal chain is risky with their IP40 rating.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:10:42 PM by hi and lo »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com