Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 77643 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
i have a few noob questions, FW 2.21. ive read a bunch but jsut need to conform some things to make sure im not missing anything:

1. i just want to record the iso channels, no interest in eating up sdcard space with the mixdown tracks. i want to use the knobs as input gain not output bus faders. is this method posted earlier in the threads still the preferred way:

" in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."'

also are we 100% sure this actually controls input gain?

2. is there anyway to bypass limiters in basic gain, seems like you could do it in "advanced gain" but then you lose the functionality described in #1 above.

3. is there a way to playback iso files through the headphone out (if you didnt record the L+R output bus), i cant figure this out

thanks!

Maybe you've already figured this out, but if you're in advanced mode, and don't want to record the mixdown tracks, go to the Main Menu Screen, toggle to Screen #2, select Sub-menu "Record", then select Sub-sub-menu "Rec L,R" and toggle to its screen #2 and press "Off".

They don't make it easy.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »

I've been saying for awhile that I don't think there is ANY control of analog input gain. It's always wide open.

3. is there a way to playback iso files through the headphone out (if you didnt record the L+R output bus), i cant figure this out

thanks!

You have to set up a headphone preset. Go to the Main Menu display. In the upper left hand corner is a headphone icon. Select that and you will be in the "HP Preset" section. Toggle to Screen #3 and press "Edit HP Preset". A window labelled "Edit HP' will then open up showing the four configurable presets available. Select any one of them and another screen will open where you can choose which tracks you want on the L or R channel of your headphones.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2019, 12:52:39 AM »
Thanks!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »
1. i just want to record the iso channels, no interest in eating up sdcard space with the mixdown tracks. i want to use the knobs as input gain not output bus faders. is this method posted earlier in the threads still the preferred way:

" in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."'

No, when you are in custom mode with the gain set to basic, the front panel knobs control a combination of analog and digital gain (per correspondence with Sound Devices).  To control only the input gain, you have to use advanced mode and access the gain through the screen for each channel (or set of ganged channels).

Basically, in custom mode with gain to basic, you are doing the same thing as in basic mode, except that, instead of routing everything to the L/R mix, it also creates ISOs (due to the channel being set to advanced).

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
...[W]hen you are in custom mode with the gain set to basic, the front panel knobs control a combination of analog and digital gain (per correspondence with Sound Devices).

This is how I've been running my mixpre6, and the above worries me a little. Has anyone tried to compare "advanced gain" with "basic gain" to test if the difference between all analog gain vs. analog/digital gain is audible?

I'd be happy to set up a comp with anyone else running schoeps (mk22, mk4v, mk41v, or mk3)> KCY> PFA> mixpre6
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
^ SD said, "you will not hear any difference in sound quality setting the gain to basic or advanced modes." I would guess any difference is minute.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
Is there anyway to disable the limiters when gain is set to basic mode?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »
Is there anyway to disable the limiters when gain is set to basic mode?
Go to the "system" menu page 2, where there's a "limiters on/off" option.

I've found the mixpre limiters pretty transparent in normal use since they don't start to kick in until the signal reaches about -3dB. Nor do they increase the noise floor or mess with the system gain structure like the digital limiters on some gear.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
first outing this weekend with mixpre-6

i should have a good comp of Greensky with 4011/4022 going into mixpre6 vs V3 vs V3>AD2K

i tried to run the MMA6000 microdot preamp into the 1/8" semi-successfully - i ran the MMA6000 at zero gain and used 30dB of gain in the mixpre and it worked.... but when i ran 30dB of gain on the mma6000 and 0dB on the mixpre and it brickwalled hard. i guess i forgot to set the input from mic in (max -10dBu) to line in (max input +10 dBu)

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2019, 03:40:13 PM »
Hi all,

Coming from a USBPre2, I want to purchase a SoundDevices MixPre-3. However, as I'm visually impaired and have no useful sight, I'm wondering if the MixPre-3 is usable or functional without relying on its touch screen. I mean how important is the touch screen for day-to-day use once one sets up mics? And may I know if the accompanying iOS app can compensate for most of the functionality of the touch screen? iPhones have built-in screen readers for the visually impaired, but it's not logical to ask the likes of SoundDevices to follow in Apple's footsteps to make their touch screens usable. In short, I'm worried about purchasing a device which can't be used because of its relatively heavy dependence on a touch screen.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Best,
Amir

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Hi Amir

The Mixpre-series support two different ways of external physical control.
Either by an external USB keyboard and can be managed through the keyboard with F-keys, arrows, numbers, space, esc, etc
You can pretty much control the whole Mixpre from the external keyboard.
Ctrl + R for Record
Ctrl + S for Stop
Spacebar to Play

Or by an external USB Midi control surfaces with will give you tactile buttons, rotary nobs and slider controls for most functions.

The four supported controls are:
Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Korg NanoKontrol 2
Novation LaunchControl XL
Akai MidiMix

No need to use the touchscreen for ordinary use.

A reseller should be able to set it up you on a testdrive in store.

Hi all,

Coming from a USBPre2, I want to purchase a SoundDevices MixPre-3. However, as I'm visually impaired and have no useful sight, I'm wondering if the MixPre-3 is usable or functional without relying on its touch screen. I mean how important is the touch screen for day-to-day use once one sets up mics? And may I know if the accompanying iOS app can compensate for most of the functionality of the touch screen? iPhones have built-in screen readers for the visually impaired, but it's not logical to ask the likes of SoundDevices to follow in Apple's footsteps to make their touch screens usable. In short, I'm worried about purchasing a device which can't be used because of its relatively heavy dependence on a touch screen.

Best,
Amir

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »
does it have an audible beep or anything to positively indicate recording?

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:07 PM »
Yes it do have optional record bells in headphones to indicate start and stop of a recording.

does it have an audible beep or anything to positively indicate recording?

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Thanks, justme, for the invaluable info you provided.
I've got a couple more questions:
1. Does turning it off require confirmation on the touch screen? I've read somewhere that it does, but information regarding that is scarce.
2. Does turning on/off phantom power per channel require the use of the touch screen? If so, can it also be achieved via the USB keyboard?
3. As my USBPre 2 is a two-channel device, I can't use it to speak into a mic and simultaneously mix what my laptop is playing into a project or as an online stream. Given the way the MixPre-3 is designed, is this task doable one way or another?

Best,
Amir

Hi Amir

The Mixpre-series support two different ways of external physical control.
Either by an external USB keyboard and can be managed through the keyboard with F-keys, arrows, numbers, space, esc, etc
You can pretty much control the whole Mixpre from the external keyboard.
Ctrl + R for Record
Ctrl + S for Stop
Spacebar to Play

Or by an external USB Midi control surfaces with will give you tactile buttons, rotary nobs and slider controls for most functions.

The four supported controls are:
Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Korg NanoKontrol 2
Novation LaunchControl XL
Akai MidiMix

No need to use the touchscreen for ordinary use.

A reseller should be able to set it up you on a testdrive in store.

Hi all,

Best,
Amir

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2019, 11:36:49 PM »
Hi Amir, I hope I can help answer some of what you are wondering. I have the MixPre6 so my experience is with that unit, not the 3.
1- Powering off the MixPre is accomplished with a hardware switch on the side. No confirmation is asked or given.
2- The only thing the USB keyboard is good for is naming tracks, projects, and settings files. If you're using the machine in low power mode then the USB keyboard functionality will not be available.
3- Not sure about that, but I think it might be a yes.
Best of luck, I hope this helps a little!
PS I can't think that the app would be very usable in screen reader mode. Its main function is to show live meter levels and it doesn't have much control, like peak hold time or anything.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com