Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 78952 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
I’ve used a pair of Line Audio Design CM-4 mics on 1 and 2.  When I used the Sennheiser AVX on 3 and MKH416 on 4, it’s apples and oranges.  Same apples and oranges yesterday with a line feed from the soundboard on 1 and MKH416 on 4.  The levels in post were different but that likely because I had a lower gain on 4.  I can do a test of the pair of CM-4s on 3 and 4 but I don’t have much time available for the next week or so.  If no one else can test their MixPre-6 II, I can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick. I encountered the issue for the first time on Saturday night at a show but confirmed it a few minutes ago using my stereo.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline rick.lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
Okay, how much additional gain should I add so 4 matches 3 sound levels?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:55:12 PM by rick.lang »

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:24 AM »
Looks like I have a problem with channel 4 of my MP6. At some point, it has started running 12+ db below channel 3 when running a pair. Tested the same mics with channels 1&2 and they're as normal. Anyone else had this problem develop?

are your channels linked?  balance at 0?  any chance you changed the actual gain in record settings (not on knob) my accident?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
Looks like I have a problem with channel 4 of my MP6. At some point, it has started running 12+ db below channel 3 when running a pair. Tested the same mics with channels 1&2 and they're as normal. Anyone else had this problem develop?

are your channels linked?  balance at 0?  any chance you changed the actual gain in record settings (not on knob) my accident?

yes to first two, not sure on the last one. i reflashed the 3.02 firmware and it seems to be working OK now...problems just in time for tomorrow night  :smash:
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2019, 05:53:01 AM »
Off topic, but what is this and why do we need to know about it?
Please just say "it's nothing, never mind, I can turn off the feature where it automatically ads an advertisement to every single thing I post online."
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2019, 07:29:27 AM »
Tapatalk automatically adds an annoying signature!  Easy to turn off but most users don't realize it.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
Off topic, but what is this

Some people don't read and participate on ts.com via a web browser when using their smartphones, but, rather, rely on an app called Tapatalk (https://www.tapatalk.com) to do so.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline shijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #322 on: November 01, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
Seems i find a firmware bug, or my device is broken. Can someone check if same problem exists on first generation of MixPre-3?
It seems something wrong with headphones output or some kind of internal routing headphone levels problem. Here is example:

If i connect MixPre-3II as USB audio device to listen music from computer and monitor with MixPre-3II Headphones-out, (headphones volume set to 75) it produce a lot of background distortions. No red clipping indicator in the corner.

Here is a sample test file with deep bass to playback: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e0mk5fkqumhh63/SystemLog-Off.wav?dl=0

I record a video to better illustrate this problem. Headphones placed very close to smartphone microphone, so in the end you can hear those actual noisy distortion clicks. Take a look https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywb2xfquhs6wvay/IMG_7665.mp4?dl=0

P.S.
I got same results if i upload file to SD card and playback directly fromMixPre-3II file system.
I can hear distortion with large headphones if i increase headphones volume to 56 and higher.
I can hear distortion with small plugs headphones if i increase headphones volume to 36 and higher.

UPDATE.1 Final respond from tech support - it is most likely hardware problem with my unit. So i need to send it back for exchange.
UPDATE 29.11.2019. Replaced item arrived and it have the same problem. So it looks like some global headphones preamp hardware or firmware problem for me.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:32:34 PM by shijan »
2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #323 on: November 01, 2019, 02:01:59 PM »
Tapatalk automatically adds an annoying signature!  Easy to turn off but most users don't realize it.

Gordon, I’ve looked on the Tapatalk settings on the iPhone but I can’t see anything related to the default signature.  Hint?

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »

Gordon, I’ve looked on the Tapatalk settings on the iPhone but I can’t see anything related to the default signature.  Hint?

Look at: Tapatalk > Settings > Signature

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #325 on: November 01, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
I’m on an iPhone on the free version. I don’t have a Tapatalk Settings or Signature menu.  Sorry if it irritates some folks.  The FAQ implies the signature can be turned on from a paid subscription:

“How do I get rid of the popup and/or smart app banner that appears on my site after I installed Tapatalk?
You can disable the popup by logging in to the Tapatalk Site Owner Console. However, to disable Smart App Banner, it is part of the Basic Paid Tier at $5/month that also includes removal of post signature and other branding control.
Tapatalk is free but we do charge a small fee to make this service sustainable.”

I do occasionally use the desktop to access forums via a web browser, but the convenience of working from the smartphone means 99% if my forum activity is via the phone and Tapatalk.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #326 on: November 01, 2019, 04:00:04 PM »
I’m on an iPhone on the free version. I don’t have a Tapatalk Settings or Signature menu.  Sorry if it irritates some folks.  The FAQ implies the signature can be turned on from a paid subscription:

How can an app not have settings? Could you possibly not be looking in the correct place?

From my Android version:
Open Tapatalk (The app, not the specific link to this forum. You won't see it if you do that.)
Click on your Profile icon (silhouette of a person, last icon in the row across the top)
Click on Settings (third option down, between My Account and Contact Us)
Click on Signature (third option down, below Subrscriptions)
Click on the slider to turn off your signature.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #327 on: November 01, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
Oh my!  Can’t believe I haven’t used that part of the interface.  I was just focussed on the controls that are open to iOS in its Settings for the app.  Thanks for that help.   Signature has been deselected!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »

Sorry if it irritates some folks.  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apology accepted!

Oh my!  Can’t believe I haven’t used that part of the interface.  I was just focussed on the controls that are open to iOS in its Settings for the app.  Thanks for that help.   Signature has been deselected!

Gads, I dig this place. Thanks, folks!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #329 on: November 26, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
https://www.sounddevices.com/download/

MixPre Series v5.00 (MixPre-3, -6, -10T, -3M, -6M, -10M, -3 II, -6 II, and -10 II)

Release: November 26, 2019

New

• Support for optional MixAssist automixer plugin.
    MixAssist reduces ambient noise and reverberation when mixing and recording with multiple microphones. The advanced automixer incorporates multiple proprietary algorithms for reducing noise and phase artifacts, including Noise Adaptive Threshold, MaxBus, Last Mic Lock-on, Off-Attenuation, and NOMA (Number of Open Mic Attenuator).
    The MixAssist Plugin is available for purchase at the Sound Devices Plugin Store. (available for MixPre-3, -6, 10T, -3 II, -6, II, and 10 II).
    Flexible USB Output routing. The new USB Output routing matrix allows control of what signals are sent to the computer and in which order they get sent. The matrix allows for mix-minus and selection between pre-fade vs. post-fade isolated channels (M models and music projects allow post-fade only).
    Sound Reports added to MixPre-3, MixPre-6, MixPre-3 II, and MixPre-6 II.
    Expanded list of cameras supported for HDMI timecode and triggers including cameras from Blackmagic, Canon, Nikon, and Fujifilm in addition to the already supported Sony and Panasonic cameras.
    USB Hub support: connect and simultaneously use a USB keyboard, USB Controller, and a USB Thumb-drive via a USB Hub.
    Note: USB Drives are supported by the MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10 II, MixPre-10M, and MixPre-10T.
    USB Auto-Copy copying status now more prominent: status is displayed on all meter view status bars and by a flashing record LED in stop mode.
    USB Auto-Copy can now be suspended when powering down the MixPre and auto-resume when powered back on.
    Quicker front panel knob response for low latency fader adjustments
    Improvements to reduce power consumption. Unused channels can be set to Off when not in use to maximize battery life.
    USB Audio Class 1 (Windows without ASIO driver) now supports up to 96 kHz sample rates.
    Music Mode (MixPre M models) now allow USB returns from a computer to be routed directly to headphones, bypassing the need to route it to a channel.
    Channel screen usability improvements for more immediate access to channel gain and solo.
    Trim gain is automatically selected when entering a channel screen
    New menu option to automatically solo the channel when entering a channel screen
    Removed time out when setting parameters

Fixed

• Various improvements to USB Drive Auto-Copy feature.
    Various improvements to SD Card performance.
    Rare instances where MixPre boots up with a black screen have been eliminated.
    MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II no longer ignore record triggers from Aux In timecode.
    MixPre recorded files no longer show 00:00:00:00 timecode and duration values in the Wingman Take List.
    Rare instances of Left track meter activity freezes no longer occur.
    System lock up no longer occurs when attempting to load a music project from a formatted SD card.
    Audible click no longer occurs when turning the slate mic on or off.
    Sound Report Bit Depth field for 32-Bit files are no longer left blank.
    Record Run values are now properly held over power cycles.
    System lock up when quickly entering record after opening a pre-existing project no longer occurs.
    Power switch is no longer unresponsive after rapidly switching between music and audio projects.
    System lock up no longer occurs when turning on pre-roll with no armed tracks.
    Front panel knob levels between 91 and 96 dB in 32-Bit mode no longer attenuate the signal.
    Improved switching between 32-Bit Float, Ambisonics, and Music modes to improve overall system stability. 
    Various noises have been eradicated when tone generator is active and changes are made to sample rates or transport states.
    Noise on channels when restoring defaults from Ambisonics mode has been eliminated.
    Timecode jam screen on MixPre-10T and MixPre-10 II no longer freezes when there is no incoming timecode signal present.
    USB Controllers can no longer mute a channel in basic audio mode.
    Extra channels (5 and 6 on MixPre-6/II and 9 and 10 on MixPre-10T/II) no longer send live signal instead of the recorded track to the headphone monitor during playback.
    Extra channels 9 and 10 on a MixPre-10T/II no longer switch to off after activating the slate mic. 
    Improved the accuracy of the Timecode Jam menu difference display.
    Various system enhancements and improvements.

Wingman v5.00

• Sound Reports are now available for MixPre-3/II and MixPre-6/II.
    MixPre recorded files no longer show 00:00:00:00 timecode and duration values in the Wingman Take List.
    Track arm indicators no longer flicker green during playback in music projects.
    Rare application crash when splitting recording no longer occurs.
    Android Take List is now called File List to be consistent with iOS version.
    False Take button is now grayed out in Basic mode on Android.
    Various display fixes for iOS Dark Mode.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com