Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ears - the most important gear  (Read 7613 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Ears - the most important gear
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2023, 05:49:04 PM »
Wow, what a crazy story. Best wishes figuring out the hearing technology world.

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2023, 06:05:57 PM »
I was at a show last week that was way too loud. I found it painful to listen - even with my earplugs. I was curious, so I downloaded an app, and measured a steady 105dB, with peaks over 115dB (obviously, no idea how accurate that is). This was at the back of the room, I'm sure it was much louder in front of the speakers.

The next day, I messaged the club to ask if it was always that loud. I expected a more hostile response, but instead the reply was one of gratitude and apology. They explained that it was a fill in sound tech, and they also thought it was too loud. And then added, "But that being said even with our guy behind the board we really need to be safe for everyone long term. I am going to order a decibel meter now and talk to the team about how we can make it a solve this. Give me a week or two and then any show you would like to come to i would love to put you on the list to hopefully give us a second chance."

I'm not sure this is the kind of response that folks will always get, but it's worth a shot...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2023, 06:40:54 PM »
That's great.

I wish clubs would make earplugs available to anyone who wanted them, for sale with the beer and merch.. or simply free for the asking. 

Reminds me of the apples of yore at the Fillmore, although I don't think they do that anymore, and they wouldn't fit in folks ears anyway.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2023, 10:20:14 AM »
I wish clubs would make earplugs available to anyone who wanted them, for sale with the beer and merch... or simply free for the asking.

They were selling the orange foam ear plugs at a big corporate amphitheater I went to last week for $2.  That profit margin probably beats what they make on $5.25 bottles of water that they purchase in bulk for less than 20 cents a bottle.

It seems like if there is anyway possible to monetize something that's related to the concert experience, the venues will.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »
$2 is fine. Glad they had them available. The majority of the cost to a big corporate amphitheater for an item this cheap is going to be dominated by handling/labor and not the cost of the product.  I suspect that mostly covers costs more than being a profit item.

I'm somewhat surprised more places don't offer them to anyone who asks simply as a relatively inexpensive form of liability protection.  Although maybe they don't want to frame it that way.  Might doing so be interpreted as acknowledging that they is liability?  Any legal minds here with a take on this?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2023, 11:11:46 AM »
I was in a venue the other day that had earplugs in a gumball-style machine. I think they were €1.50 or €2 and you could use a debit card or coin. Actually, I think most, if not all, Dutch venues have plugs available; often, you can even order some when you are buying tickets.

I bought a 20-pack of foam plugs a few years back and have them scattered all over the place (in suitcases, toiletry bags, jacket pockets, taping bag, briefcase, etc.). Even if I forget my good ones, I almost always have a back-up...

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2023, 12:16:36 PM »
I see a fair amount of venues of all size either selling or giving out plugs these days. Some just have them sitting on the bar in a plastic container to just grab from, sometimes at merch for a buck or two. Seem them in the bathroom in a condom style dispenser too

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2023, 03:30:44 PM »
I see a fair amount of venues of all size either selling or giving out plugs these days. Some just have them sitting on the bar in a plastic container to just grab from, sometimes at merch for a buck or two. Seem them in the bathroom in a condom style dispenser too
I'm guessing West Coast or somewhere not where I typically tape in the Northeast?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 09:31:54 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »
I always ask for the Etymotic plugs as a cheap Christmas gift EVERY year, and started stockpiling them everywhere (every taping bag, car glove box AND car console, and a pair near my wallet and keys) that way I never forget. I'm gonna order a bin of the foam ones as I've been using those for shitty openers then switching to Etymotic for bands I like. A bit overboard but worth it IMO. I personally haven't noticed odd frequencies with the Etymotics, my ears (actually the brain) adjust very quickly and I'm guessing compensates for what's lacking. Definite high frequency roll of with the foams.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline vibrioidxire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Where am I?
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2023, 05:17:02 PM »
What a revolution it was to walk out of a venue with earplugs after the show and be able to hear clearly. It's nice to not have my ears be ripped to shreds during a loud show. I did start wearing them late and ended up with a mild case of tinnitus (gotta sleep with a box fan on or wait for the A/C to kick on and buzz). It's now important to me to keep my hearing safe that I even stole half a box of construction earplugs from my job. They're orange foam tips and tethered with a blue cord.

I'm remembering this one show that I went to last year where I saw this kid (maybe like 14?) lose his earplugs and he was wondering the crowd with his hands over his ears. Even though I was taping both video and audio, I sacrificed the footage for a portion of a song to dig through my bag and give an extra pair of earplugs to him. Never seen such an expression of gratitude from someone.

Also, foam > silicone. Silicone tips have always hurt my ears, and the final straw was trying out the Loop earplugs. The pressure of pulling one out felt like my eardrums were being ripped apart. Thank god they came with foam tips. Felt much better, plus had a similar noise cancellation effect as Shure SE215's. I also say the same with Apple AirPods. I never liked how the noise cancellation felt on my ears (it did do a good job of repelling noise), and the $20 foam tips I got reduced that high pressure feeling + keeping the job of repelling noise.
Mics: SP-CMC-4U (4.7k mod) (c, h, o caps) - Shure SM57 (2x), & SM58.
BB's: SP-SPSB-10, SP-SPSB-20
Recs: Sony PCM-A10, ICD-SX2000, ICD-UX570 - TASCAM DR-05, DR-2d - Roland R-07

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2023, 08:58:09 PM »
Very important discussion. I have a bunch of foamies in my gear bag. I always offer them to people too. Some shows are scary loud!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Axe

• Taperssection Regular
  • trying to learn the ropes
    • blog
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2023, 09:00:21 PM »
Gutbucket — the Fillmore still has apples, and last time I was there I think they were Honeycrisps!!
"Are you ZMan??" —Deadhead @ Westville Music Bowl

Team KGLW.net … if you've taped King Gizzard, please get in touch!

I built the JRAD fan site Almost-Dead.net … if you've taped JRAD please get in touch!

@drwxrxrx on Archivefull list of everything I've taped

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2023, 09:30:13 AM »
Oooh fancy apples!
Great to hear that.

Offline unclehoolio

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2023, 03:23:34 PM »
It's also worth noting that a typical audiogram only shows a limited frequency band, mainly the range of audible speech. For those who work with music, it might be worth asking your audiologist if they can do full range tests.

I just had an audiologist exam at end of August, and had the extended high end assessment done in addition to the normal one.  See attached merged graphs.

I'm 52, and she said that my curves were normal for my age*, although i do have slightly better than average/normal/expected between 8k-10k.  Slight decrease in sensitivity for my left ear (X's) as compared to right (O's).  This doesn't surprise me, as I have another hobby besides concerts/live music which can also be hard on the ears: scuba diving.  And while it has (like live music) given me many amazing experiences and memories, it has also given me more than a few ear infections--more often in the left than the right (although I've never had any problems equalizing either ear, knock on wood).  I think that structurally my left ear canal/eustachian tube is narrower than right, which plays a role in causation--I have to be very diligent to flush and treat my ears after each dive, otherwise by day 3, I'll have otitis media.  Which is not good when I'm on a 9- or 12-day diving trip!  Also, I grew up in the south and hunted/fired guns quite a bit in my youth, sans hearing protection, so there's that...

(*Note that 'hearing loss' starts normally by the early 20s, which is the age that basically everyone loses the ability to hear the 18k-20k range, due simply to what happens structurally to the ear as we age.  And the drop-off continues moving into lower frequencies as age increases, which is why my audiogram looks like a LPF has been applied at 10k, and also shows <null> values above 14k.)

As for earplugs:  I currently use the Eargasms and Etymotics, but have a slight preference for the fit of the former.  I just had full silicon molds made ($50), but have not yet pulled the trigger on full customs yet--still exploring my options here (e.g. MEE vs TLS)

mics:  AKG c480b (x6) + ck61, ck62, & ck63
pre:  2 x Oade m148
recorder:  Zoom F8n Pro; Tascam HD-P2 (with Oade High Definition mod)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2023, 06:21:29 PM »

I just made my first ever appointment with an audiologist thanks to this thread. I'm very interested to see the results to compare to what I think is happening. I recently thought one of my speakers had some problems with the tweeter but I think my high frequencies are just way down on that side.

My older brother had to start wearing hearing aids around the same age that I am now. I'm doing alright but this is way overdue.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com