Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where do I begin?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
Where do I begin?
« on: June 12, 2003, 01:09:02 PM »
So I need some help,

I honestly don't know crap about a playback system.... go figure :)  Ive spent all my money on my recording gear,computer,homenetwork,video cameras, etc.  I was over at my friends house last night (very rich, they own Klien Tools) and they have a home theatre in their house and it just BLEW ME AWAY.  They have had this home theatre for a while now, but I guess his dad just put a shitload of new stuff.... its quite impressive.. I just wonder how much money he sunk into it...

So where should I begin? I know I want to get a good reciever, good amp, good speakers... but I dont have thousdands of dollars.  I will definitely buy piece by piece.  

So Lets say I start with speakers.  What is a good wattage?  I was looking at B&Ws cause I know people have said good things abount them.  What models are people using? I am hoping to find used gear as well. I know Ed really likes his Klips....  but I see those are not cheap either.  How many speakers should I get?  Should I just get 2 floors for now and then worry about doing 5.1 when I get more flow?

Reciever:  I dont know shit... going to need help here... models... etc

Amps: dont know shit either... help is quite welcomed

Well Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to get me on the page and educate me more about home systems!

Thanks
Mike

Tim

Re:Where do I begin?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 01:17:45 PM »
the music that we tape isn't meant to be playe dback in 5.1. It's been said before and I agree, I'd rather have 2 high quality channels than 5.1 mediocre channels. I'd worry about 2 channels right now.

For B&W's.. I'd look at the 600 series. I've got the 602.5's and they're about $7-800/pair.

Talk with Nick about putting together your amp/pre-amp combo... I went the integrated route becuase I got a pretty good deal.

Look around audioreview.com
Trey turned me on to that site and it quickly became a huge favorite.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 01:24:13 PM »
audiogon.com is a great resource for used equipment as well.  they sell it, and have forums for discussion.

go check out Audio Consultants, there's one in Libertyville.  also, go over to Brett's house and listen to his stereo... he just picked up the B&W DM604S3's (so did I) and he's running them through an older Conrad Johnson tube pre and amp.  I also went the integrated route for my power and solid state.

I still haven't gotten around to a source unit, just been using an old Denon 5 disc changer for now.  I'm not sure if I wanna just add a DAC or a new player altogether right now.

Same with taping gear though here... trust your ears!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 02:07:42 PM »
I highly reccomend good speakers, and upgrade as you go from there.  I know about as much as you do, but the dm305's I got from Nick are awesome...I describe the difference as compared to the old speakers as taking a large film off the sound of the music.

Daryan

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 02:10:57 PM »
Jeff and Tim

Thank you for the advice... I have to go to Bretts today actaully.  So, is there an advangate to having a combo device? Just wondering about that.  Bretts system sounds fucking good even with his older speakers.  I will check out that site for sure... Im headin home though, sick and fuckin feel like shit.   Worse thing about taking the train, gotta wait for there to be a train to take home :(

thanks w00ks
-Mike

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 02:18:12 PM »
best advice...
buy used.  
go to hi-fi shops (tweeter has nice stuff) and do a lot of listening.

how big is your listening room, and what do you want to spend?  Answer those, and then some recomendations might be easier to come by.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 09:08:05 PM »
  I think I've lived off of Audiogon for the past year. I am not a real fan of the intergrated route & prefer to buy used but you end up moving alot of components in & out of your system that way. It's the only way you'll know what works in your system.
  Speakers are not rated by watts b/c your amp provides the power to drive them. So any good set of USED speakers will be able to handle most amps. For comparsion purposes, I am running a set of small monitors with a 185 wpc amp. So again good speakers like the B&W's you suggest should be able to handle most amps as long as you do not overdrive them (i.e. crank up the vollume until they crackle)
  The Amp is the heart & soul of your system, get one that sounds good, who cares what the specs are, you may have to experiment (listen at local shops) to find what sounds good to your ears. Now you can find a pre-amp ( I prefer tubes) but they can be found pretty cheap if you look around. I don't really care about matching brand names as long as there is synergy between the components. Next the fun part... cables!! Lot's of vodoo here but there are solid values to be found & yes they do matter (eventually)
  Your going to need a source, CD or DAT or both. Again, they all sound different, find one that sounds good. Finally get some tunes & enjoy.
   So is all this overwhelming, sure it is. But there is so much info available to you that you can do this. Spend time & research stuff online (you have nothing better to do at work anyway) Look for good deals on used stuff, if you have the cash waiting you can snatch up some real good deals out there. I really enjoy this hobby, almost as much as taping!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 08:20:15 AM »
i've decided that I think I like listening more than taping.  sometimes, I fanticize about the rig I could build if I sold my recording gear.

Martin Logan Ascents!!!!!
or
Maggie 3.6qr  !!!!!

of course, a new house would need to be in order as neither of those would work at all in my current house.

Tim

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 02:09:59 PM »
Having decent playback gear makes me want to tape more!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 03:58:56 PM »
I definitely like listening more than taping (heresy, I know!)..  That's probably why I have 10x more $$ in my hifi than my taping rig :)

Where to start...  Ah.  Starting is so fun.  I think the place to start is your local hifi shop..  What do they sell?  We can direct you to some good stuff out of what they sell, and forging a lasting relationship with a local shop is IMO the best thing you can ever do for your hifi.  Not only will you get steals and deals that will rival used audiogon pricing, but you'll be able to bring things home to try before you buy; which is very important.

Anyway, what lines do they carry?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com