Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: mic repair  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
ISO: mic repair
« on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
I'm looking for someone with a soldering iron, some electronics knowledge, and a willingness to try to fix a mic capsule. I've got a slightly damaged akg ck1x capsule. It is experiencing an intermittent static sound, but otherwise it works just fine and is even really closely matched to the other capsule I have. PM if you or someone you know wouldn't mind taking a stab at fixing it.

p.s. I've already been through richard land. He failed to fix my problem, but I firmly believe the capsule is repairable.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: ISO: mic repair
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »
I'm looking for someone with a soldering iron, some electronics knowledge, and a willingness to try to fix a mic capsule. I've got a slightly damaged akg ck1x capsule. It is experiencing an intermittent static sound, but otherwise it works just fine and is even really closely matched to the other capsule I have. PM if you or someone you know wouldn't mind taking a stab at fixing it.

p.s. I've already been through richard land. He failed to fix my problem, but I firmly believe the capsule is repairable.

You can send it to me I will look at it for you.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
awesome. I knew one of you electronics guru's would give it a shot.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
awesome. I knew one of you electronics guru's would give it a shot.

I absolutely can't promise anything and as a matter of fact I MUST WARN YOU taking these capsules apart can destroy them permanently so send it to me at your own risk. I suspect there is one of two things happening with your capsule but I wont be sure until I get it.

Chris

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »
it's basically useless now so if it ends up destroyed in the repair process it's no worse off.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
it's basically useless now so if it ends up destroyed in the repair process it's no worse off.

OK well then if that is the case let me see what I can do.

Chris

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »

Many times mic noise is caused simply by dirty mic plug/input jack grunge, especially common with minijack connectors, but also may happen with more professional types. 

While described for mini connectors, cleaning other types of connectors is best with materials suggested on my tips page at: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm#maintain

On rare occasions the noise is a broken jack solder joint inside the deck/preamp.  So try different mics/cables/preamp to isolate cause.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »
Your mic is fixed. The diaphragm was stretched and there was a foam spacer in the back of the capsule that had disintegrated. I re-tensioned the diaphragm using a method I cant talk about and now it works great I also replaced the foam on the back of the capsule it works fine now no noise.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com