Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: good mics to buy or ship to Russia?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline F717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
good mics to buy or ship to Russia?
« on: November 30, 2023, 03:11:29 AM »
I think we all understand current situation with shipping in Russia today.
Whether you are supporter of things going on or not, getting stuff shipped from US or Europe is mostly pain in the ass. Anyway, we ain't here to discuss politics.

As of now I'm recording with internal mics of my Tascam DR-07X, which I managed to get before prices doubling up and for some time I though of going bigger and getting first mics, more particularly stealth ones. Why stealth? Because taping in Russia is still a wild-wild west and you can count on fingers the people who care of it, understand its purpose and allow it.

My budget is 200-300$. At some point, I considered to get OKMIIs 'Classic' because some stores still have them in stock, however I also read on TS that they are not handling loud rock concerts that well.

Do you guys have any other good variants on cheap stealth mics? Maybe some that are manufactured in Europe or Asia?  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 04:58:57 AM by F717 »
F717

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
Re: good mics to buy or ship to Russia?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 05:27:32 AM »
don't buy those OKM classic mics,
those are not usefull for what you want to record.

I can highly recommend some Sennheiser ME104 mics,
those are my go to mics and those can handle high sound pressure without any modification or something.

I have one pair for sale and it would fit into your budget,
if you need more information pm me,
cheers !
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 01:36:05 PM »
I have used in those OKM mics (I still have them) but like Pillowman mentioned I would seriously think about the Sennheiser ME104's. There is nothing that they can't handle. High SPL, no problem. Acoustic, no problem. Very versitile mics.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 01:39:31 PM »
As for shipping to/from Russia, I have purchased several CDs since the War began and it's been averaging 3 weeks. Not too bad.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 05:13:31 PM »
Nevaton perhaps?

http://nevaton.eu/actual-situation/

No affiliation, obviously, but here are some MKE-400 lavaliers on Reverb located in Kazakhstan.

https://reverb.com/item/73997724-nevaton-mke-400-former-lomo-rare-post-soviet-electret-lavalier-microphones
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline F717

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 01:05:16 AM »
I have used in those OKM mics (I still have them) but like Pillowman mentioned I would seriously think about the Sennheiser ME104's. There is nothing that they can't handle. High SPL, no problem. Acoustic, no problem. Very versitile mics.

Thanks for suggestions!

These Sennheisers seam to be an interesting option. I looked up if anybody is still selling them here and their prices went up to 500$  :shrug:

Nevaton is also an interesting option, these are done in St. Petersburg and probably is the most easiest route to go by, yet their prices are also quite bitting so I gotta think about it. Other mics that I know are manufactured here are Oktava and Soyuz, any opinions on them? Ive seen people in US use them sometimes yet idk if they fit stealth scenario. I also seen used Rode NT5s on Avito, these seem to be quite popular too.

Wildest option that I found would be to get soviet-era МКЭ-271 modified to XLR, they are very cheap and are very usable today, from what I heard, but at a same time they are very old (early-mid 1970s) and I'm not sure if they are really reliable lol.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 08:35:09 AM by F717 »
F717

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 08:49:01 AM »

Those Nevaton MKE400 are amazing sounding mics. They have a bit of high frequency response lift that makes them great for audience taping.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline F717

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »

Those Nevaton MKE400 are amazing sounding mics. They have a bit of high frequency response lift that makes them great for audience taping.

I listened to various LMA tapes and they indeed sound great. Problem is that I can't seam to find them even in used state on any listing sites like Avito or Youla. I do see a few of them on Reverb tho, maybe I'll try to get a good deal there if I'll figure out shipping, haha :DD
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 12:24:47 PM by F717 »
F717

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 12:38:55 PM »

Thanks for suggestions!

These Sennheisers seam to be an interesting option. I looked up if anybody is still selling them here and their prices went up to 500$  :shrug:

Nevaton is also an interesting option, these are done in St. Petersburg and probably is the most easiest route to go by, yet their prices are also quite bitting so I gotta think about it. Other mics that I know are manufactured here are Oktava and Soyuz, any opinions on them? Ive seen people in US use them sometimes yet idk if they fit stealth scenario. I also seen used Rode NT5s on Avito, these seem to be quite popular too.

Wildest option that I found would be to get soviet-era МКЭ-271 modified to XLR, they are very cheap and are very usable today, from what I heard, but at a same time they are very old (early-mid 1970s) and I'm not sure if they are really reliable lol.

I've got a matched pair of Soyuz 013 FET-MAC-B microphones and they're fantastic sounding mics. However, they're big and heavy and not in your price range, either.

Offline F717

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »

What about Sony ECM stereo mics? They are cheap and were used a lot in 90-00s and handle the volume quite well and there are a few that can be ordered in used state in Russia. Its not that I'm going to ultra-loud concerts like metalhead ones, but there sometimes can be situations where I can get quite close to the stacks.
F717

Offline pillowman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »

What about Sony ECM stereo mics? They are cheap and were used a lot in 90-00s and handle the volume quite well and there are a few that can be ordered in used state in Russia. Its not that I'm going to ultra-loud concerts like metalhead ones, but there sometimes can be situations where I can get quite close to the stacks.

SONY lavalier mics are mostly sounding harsh, thin and have a bad bass response. Those bigger SONY mics are bulky and more difficult to go stealth.
just my 2 cents .. better save some money and went on to another route ..

here is something I recorded last night with my go to mics SENNHEISER ME104,
those mics are not well known but to my ears they are underrated and very good sounding.
Build quality is very good and with the removable caps you are very versatile ..

the sample is for everyone who never heard of those little SENNHEISER's ..  :yahoo:

here you go:

Download-Link
https://we.tl/t-awREeQ1eCx

good for 7 days ..
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 10:13:26 PM »
i think sound professionals make something that handles high spl. they usually wire 2 mics into a batt box and then stereo 1/8" trs out to your recorder. i think the sp mics are less then $300. i use dpa4061s and you can get a foot away from pa speakers and they do not distort. but they are expensive. i also have some church cardiod mics that need alot of spl for them to work, but i use them when i cant get close.

Offline F717

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 01:32:16 AM »
i think sound professionals make something that handles high spl. they usually wire 2 mics into a batt box and then stereo 1/8" trs out to your recorder. i think the sp mics are less then $300. i use dpa4061s and you can get a foot away from pa speakers and they do not distort. but they are expensive. i also have some church cardiod mics that need alot of spl for them to work, but i use them when i cant get close.

Lol, I've seen SP-CMC-4U for 32 bucks (!!!) on Ebay not that long ago and considered using a delivery service for purchased goods from the USA to get em here (shipping costs 40-60$ aprox, sometimes bigger), but I'm not sure if there's something wrong with them cause who'd sell them from such a steal price...unless they are having some problems I guess.
F717

Offline pillowman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 06:14:01 AM »

Lol, I've seen SP-CMC-4U for 32 bucks (!!!) on Ebay not that long ago and considered using a delivery service for purchased goods from the USA to get em here (shipping costs 40-60$ aprox, sometimes bigger), but I'm not sure if there's something wrong with them cause who'd sell them from such a steal price...unless they are having some problems I guess.

please keep in mind for loud, amplified concerts those AT853 need the low sense modification !

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »
Hi, F717
If you want order something to Russia you can use mailforwarders like https://pochtoy.com/ or similar
I brought here on TS some stuff from darktrain and other members and use this mailforwarder to ship in Moscow)

Do you tape open or  >:D ?  Wich bands and where?

I think for now it's not good time to start taping  (((

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com