Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microphones  (Read 6119 times)

Offline grungepunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
microphones
« on: October 17, 2003, 12:23:54 PM »
 :-X maybe its a secret or something, but electret condensor microphone
elements are dirt cheap.  i bought some from radioshack, and they have a
very flat frequency response.  panasonic sells better elements, with a dead flat line from 20 -20khz, omni directional,  sensitivity of -35db,  S/N of 62db.
(Wm-61a). all you need is a battery, resistor, capacitor,  metal casing
and rubermounts using epoxy to mount to the metal case.  i am  using
a sony digital 8 camcorder that records sound into 16 bit digital.  since the camera is small, and the microphones too, why even buy a DAT? no microphone preamp is even needed, as you can see these mics are very sensitive. once i am done recording, i download to my computer with firewire.
then i can use any audio editor i want, burn to dvd.  i just cant see
spending thousands on equipment for live shows.  would like some feedback to why this setup wouldnt be good enough for live shows,  and im using this for studio recording.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:microphones
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 12:27:38 PM »
Well, let's hear some of your results and then we can comment on it.  There are lots of studio releases that sound great and lots that sound like crap.  

What are you listening to your recordings on?  Many of us here have nice stereo playback systems as well that can highlight good points and bad ones in our recordings.

Omnidirectional capsules are not ideal for most live taping situations because the bass is often too powerful to properly reproduce and the capsules pick up a higher amount of indirect sound.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 12:36:57 PM »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 05:44:52 AM »
i bought some from radioshack, and they have a
very flat frequency response.  panasonic sells better elements, with a dead flat line from 20 -20khz, omni directional,  sensitivity of -35db,  S/N of 62db.
(Wm-61a).

Well, let us know how it turns out, but never believe the specs. I doubt they are dead flat. Since they are omnis they will be fairly flat, but even the QTC-1 EW mics I have aren't dead flat, they have some slight bumps (within .5 - 1 dB) in their frequency chart (measured by EW and supplied with each mic, not the generic charts that tend to get posted on the web and printed in brochures).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 01:18:04 AM »
if it works for you, go for it, i think a cheaper route would be the sony digital micro recorder though.  seriously though, i, like everyone else who's commented, think the better way to go is seperates(like any audio gear).  on any combined audio or video component, the parts that are crammed into one box tend to be lower end geared to the consumer.  most of us here tend to use pro level gear(except schwilly).  it does make for a better recording.  a good way for you to do an a/b comparison would be to find a show you're going to,that someone from here is going to also, and check their recording to yours.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 01:22:12 AM »
:-X   and im using this for studio recording.

Your joking right? I'm sure any band would be real impressed to find you cutting their tracks on a camcorder
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 01:29:00 AM »
:-X   and im using this for studio recording.

Your joking right? I'm sure any band would be real impressed to find you cutting their tracks on a camcorder

i missed that.  don't do it, future jobs may be scarce.

jr
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com