Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio "shorter" on video then on M10  (Read 4088 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Audio "shorter" on video then on M10
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
Any ideas here, first time I have had it happen or at least I noticed it...
I have this recording(s)

Mics > lb > m10 (24/48) > camcorder (whatever the camcorder captures at)

The m10 file was resampled/dithered in audacity and tracked out
The camcorder file was captured in Final Cut Pro

I used the track times from audacity to place chapter makers on the video
HOWEVER
The audio on the video was much shorter in time.  The first track/chapter was off by about 10 seconds and I just thought it was because I didn't start everything at the same time but by the 1.5 hr mark the difference was almost 7 minutes
For example audacity track 1 started at :45 and in fcp it was at :35 then in audacity track 15 was at 1:15:00 and in fcp it was at 1:08:30

Everything sounds and looks fine ???
Tia

Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Audio "shorter" on video then on M10
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Different clock signals. Same problem as if you use two recorders that aren't clocked together via wordclock/spdif.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
Different clock signals. Same problem as if you use two recorders that aren't clocked together via wordclock/spdif.

That would be first thought - but that seems like A LOT of drift...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »
Are you sure you don't have any 44.1Khz vs. 48Khz issues?

Because that difference, as a percentage, is pretty close to the time difference you describe.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »

Because that difference, as a percentage, is pretty close to the time difference you describe.
thats what I was leaning towards
Or
This time I went from the m10 to the camcorder and most of the time I go from the lb to the camcorder and never had an issue.
I suppose it could have need rift but I too thought that was a huge amount of drift
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:37 PM »
7 minutes is slightly odd, but not outside of what I'd expect for that problem in particular. I've seen 5 minutes over slightly less then that (a 722 and a R-4 unit in my case).

If it was in the range of 15% drift, then yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be the clocks.

That's my best guess.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
I would run about a hour and half test by making a video with the camera recording the M10 counter.   I use a dog clicker at the beginning and at 15 minute intervals so I have something to line up for comparison in my video software or DAW.

Been several months ago, but the amount of drift between the M10 and my canon camcorder was just about enough to create an echo effect about 75 minutes into the recording.   About 95 minutes, it became slightly more noticeable.   It was enough to require some adjusting, but 7 minutes???? :o

Something seems really odd here. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »

^^^
Has this very plausible explaination been explored yet?   I bet that's it.

The camcorder file was captured in Final Cut Pro

I used the track times from audacity to place chapter makers on the video
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
I agree with it-goes-to-eleven and Gutbucket, a sample-rate mismatch is a likely explanation.  It may have been recorded at different sample rates on the two devices in the first place, or when you did your editing in Audacity and Final Cut you may have inadvertently exported to a file with a different sample rate.  You said:
^ If the M10 file was 24/48 and you resampled, then I'm guessing you resampled to 44.1.  Try putting the original M10 file into Audacity again, do your edits, but don't downsample or decimate (i.e. keep your tracks all 24/48).  See if things line up then.

The first track/chapter was off by about 10 seconds and I just thought it was because I didn't start everything at the same time but by the 1.5 hr mark the difference was almost 7 minutes
For example audacity track 1 started at :45 and in fcp it was at :35 then in audacity track 15 was at 1:15:00 and in fcp it was at 1:08:30
^ Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but make sure you are also compensating for the different start time of the tracks in FCP.  You can't just drag Track 2 10 seconds to the right - you will have to visually and aurally line up some claps or other nice clear peaks in the recording.  I do this by level-matching the two tracks, then hard panning them to each side and listening through headphones until they line up.  Once you've done that at the beginning of the recording, check the alignment at various places throughout.  Just make sure you are absolutely dealing with two tracks of the same sample-rate first, otherwise it's going to drift and you're just going to be chasing your tail. 

Even professional rock bands sometimes set the wrong sample rate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
To be more clear, I am NOT putting the audio files into FCP
The audio was recorded directly onto the m10 and at the same time recorded directly to the camcorder/video
My littlebox has two outs and one was used for each source
I'm guessing the sample rate is the answer more then "normal" drift because I have done this many times and never had an issue
Although it has been a while since I used the lb outs,typically I use the m10 out into the camcorder but for some reason this night I didn't

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com