Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP REQUEST: Best format for rendering edited AVCHD Video in Sony Vegas 9  (Read 5526 times)

Offline boombox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I've been filming shows and synching up external audio in post for a few years now. My usual video camera is (one of?) the first Sony hard drive cameras, which films in .mpg format. As a result, I've always rendered in .avi format for DVDs, first in Vegas 5.0 and more recently in Vegas Studio Platinum 9.0.

Last year, I bought a Lumix FZ48 bridge camera, which I keep as my default as AVCHD FSH 1920 x 1080, and which saves in .MTS format. I've used this for additional camera angles when the other camera is tripod mounted, or even as the principal camera for some shows. My query is this: bearing in mind, I will usually bring in an external soundtrack, which format should I render the whole set in,  in order to maintain picture quality for any DVD I author (in DVD Architect, usually)? The same question might also apply for rendering for upload to youtube.

I should also add that I use A PC, not Mac, that I can't curently afford to upgrade my camera or software and that I really haven't a clue what all the formats mean when saving to some of the, what I perceive to be, HD formats in Vegas. (Yes, I really need help! :D)

TIA

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
Re: HELP REQUEST: Best format for rendering edited AVCHD Video in Sony Vegas 9
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure you have to encode the final file to mpeg2 if you want to create a DVD that will play on DVD players.  For optimum quality, you need to set the average and maximum bit rates to the highest settings that will still create a file that's under 4.7 GB so it fits on a DVD (unless you want to burn to a dual layer disc, in which case you have almost twice as much room to work with).  The default rates in Vegas are 9,500,000 bps maximum and 6,000,000 bps minimum, but these settings can be changed before encoding.

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
I usually work with a project as the same size as the original files, so my projects are in 1920x1080 at 59.97fps, then render to what ever I want, whether that is a DVD (16x9 MPEG2) or a h264 BluRay file.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
For optimum quality, you need to set the average and maximum bit rates to the highest settings that will still create a file that's under 4.7 GB so it fits on a DVD

There are still DVD players out there that can't handle a combined bitrate over 10K.  So if you are using LPCM audio (1536 bit), you want to be careful to keep the max video bitrate at 8.4K or below.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline boombox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I won't worry about rendering to  one of the newer formats then. I am a little confused though: I thought avi was a better format than mpeg as it's uncompressed?

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
You say in your first post you have rendered to AVI for DVDs that is not possible as DVDs must be mpeg-2 so your dvd authoring program has then re-rendered your AVI to mpeg-2 for you.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
AVI is roughly 13GBs per one hour of standard definition video.  So above and beyond the matter of it not being DVD compliant - it's too big for DVD (you could only fit roughly 25 minutes on a disc).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
sony Vegas has output options for DVD Architect compliant mpeg2 files, but make sure you go into the options and check the option to include audio.  you can also adjust bitrates and add 2 pass encoding.

for youtube use one of the mp4 options

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline boombox

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks. Will try that way of doing it - will certainly save on space! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com