Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XY Mount for 1st gen Busman Actives...Is Shapeways still my best bet?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Wow it's been a minute!  The kid is 10, starting to see more shows and I need to go XY with hypercards STAT!  + Split omnis into a 4-chan recorder.

Any suggestions much appreciated.  Cheers! :help:
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: XY Mount for 1st gen Busman Actives...Is Shapeways still my best bet?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:49:17 PM »
10! Seems like yesterday.

Good path, see you out there somewhere!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »
Send Scott an email.  I don't believe he lists every design he has made (caveat: assumption).  He might have an old design for Busman actives stashed away.  He's always had decent response time with my questions.  And he will be able to design one quickly if he doesn't have one on spec for you already.

Enjoy those sweet hypers!  #formerteambusman
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline lauryfriese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 05:02:11 AM »
Oh that's a good choice.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 09:47:22 AM »
The foundation of my multichannel rig is essentially the equivalent of what you are asking about: split omnis + a Mid/Side pair in the center.

Although essentially equivalent in some ways, I prefer a Mid/Side pair over X/Y in the center position for a few reasons. The caveat is it requires a figure-8.. or a stereo M/S mic.  I've been using the inexpensive Naiant X8 fig-8 for years and it works well as the Side channel.  I recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive fig-8 to run a Mid/Side pair. However..

Recently I've been playing around with changing the M/S center pair to a short stereo shotgun. I'm liking what I'm hearing. More center focus and clarity of vocals. Same basic M/S advantages in the center as before. Convenient to run a single stereo mic in the middle. Single mic clip. Very easy to orient and confirm good orientation after raising the stand.  Easy wind-screening for the single microphone instead of two.

This switched from a M/S pair of supercard + fig-8 (basically equates to X/Y hypers), to the single stereo shotgun (also M/S and pretty much also equates to X/Y hypers).

Previous center pair was miniature DPA 4098 as MID / Naiant X8 as SIDE.
New short stereo shotgun is AT BP4029 (in a single mic clip).
The omnis are miniature DPA 4061, which I've no intent to change (on telescopic TV antennas that extend from about 2' wide up to about 6' wide).

Give me a call to discuss.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com