Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: At831cw setup audio rig  (Read 2033 times)

Offline tromster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
At831cw setup audio rig
« on: July 29, 2023, 10:17:02 AM »
Hello to everyone, I have a zoom h5 and I'm using to tape live shows mostly hardcore and punk shows, I'm not very satisfied with the audio from the internal mics of zoom h5 and I was thinking to buy some external mics I'm interested for the at831cw. First is anyone aware of the recording quality of these mics? Second except of the 2 mics what else I have to buy and how I can connect them to zoom h5?

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
Re: At831cw setup audio rig
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 11:09:29 AM »
The mics you list have a Hirose cable connection that is meant to connect to (unusual) Audio Technica body packs (for when you put a mic on an actor for example). Your zoom uses standard XLR connectors.

Why not buy mics that are designed to use with standard XLR connectors that your Zoom is designed for, rather than trusting unusual adapters and having to adapt voltage, etc.? If you tell us what you're recording and your budget then people here will have lots of suggestions for mics.

Beware that the Zoom H5 has what we consider to be relatively noisy preamps in general, so you will get some background noise no matter what mics you connect. Less of an issue if you're taping loud shows.

waves -> bits

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 11:46:46 AM »

You will not be able to connect those mics to your recorder as is. Audio Technica makes that mic model in a bunch of different configurations including with a phantom power adapter that will plug straight into the XLRs of your H5.

You might consider taking a look at the Sound Professionals website (or giving them a call and asking some questions) and identify the best option for your use case. Are you mounting this gear somewhere and walking away, wearing it, putting it on a short stand on the stage? They make ready to use stereo versions of the AT831, 853 and other miniature mics already wired to a mini plug ready for a battery box and line in to your recorder. If you want to put the mics on your head or keep things small,  for example, this would be the easiest option.

Your recording location has as much to do (or more) than the mics you are using. If you are just sticking the device in your shirt pocket and dancing around on the front row no mic upgrade will help your results (I don't know what you are doing I'm just making a point). If you can get a good location to mount the recorder and get good sound then your internal mics may be able to make better recordings than you have realized.

Tell us little bit more about what you are doing and how you are doing it and maybe we can help point you in the right direction.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 10:16:27 AM »
I have a couple sets of AT831 - pairs terminated to 4.7k mod 3.5mm jacks.  Well... one and a half pairs... as a new taper lost one of the caps when he borrowed them on a head-full.  These mics have two features which some tapers prefer: metal bodies (AT853 are plastic) and some prefer the sound of the cardioid pattern to the 853.  You can use the caps of certain 853 mics on them and a thread on that is found here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=201945.0

The previous two posts above mine are strong, good advice to help guide you.  Thanks for asking!
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline tromster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 10:24:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm usually taping punk and hardcore shows in small clubs from 600 people capacity up to 1100 at most which isn't often. The recorder I'm putting it in the center of the balcony steady mounted. I saw that mic because in a Greek store and I will save some extra cost from the custom charges. That's why I skipped the sound professionals. But anyway feel free to suggest me mics up to 250euros and I will then check if I can find them in Greece in order to avoid custom charges. If you need any other I fo let me know. Thanks in advance.

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »
As you're running your XLR mics "open" anyways and you're located in the EU: LineAudio CM4 (€230 ex. VAT/stereo pair).
http://nohypeaudio.be/lineaudioproducts.htm

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 08:18:50 PM »
Ebay is a good source for old /new old stock of AT831.I just saw them for as low as $30 each, the cheapest yet.
You would have wire them for a mini plug and add a few resistors.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline tromster

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
The mics you list have a Hirose cable connection that is meant to connect to (unusual) Audio Technica body packs (for when you put a mic on an actor for example). Your zoom uses standard XLR connectors.

Why not buy mics that are designed to use with standard XLR connectors that your Zoom is designed for, rather than trusting unusual adapters and having to adapt voltage, etc.? If you tell us what you're recording and your budget then people here will have lots of suggestions for mics.

Beware that the Zoom H5 has what we consider to be relatively noisy preamps in general, so you will get some background noise no matter what mics you connect. Less of an issue if you're taping loud shows.

You will not be able to connect those mics to your recorder as is. Audio Technica makes that mic model in a bunch of different configurations including with a phantom power adapter that will plug straight into the XLRs of your H5.

You might consider taking a look at the Sound Professionals website (or giving them a call and asking some questions) and identify the best option for your use case. Are you mounting this gear somewhere and walking away, wearing it, putting it on a short stand on the stage? They make ready to use stereo versions of the AT831, 853 and other miniature mics already wired to a mini plug ready for a battery box and line in to your recorder. If you want to put the mics on your head or keep things small,  for example, this would be the easiest option.

Your recording location has as much to do (or more) than the mics you are using. If you are just sticking the device in your shirt pocket and dancing around on the front row no mic upgrade will help your results (I don't know what you are doing I'm just making a point). If you can get a good location to mount the recorder and get good sound then your internal mics may be able to make better recordings than you have realized.

Tell us little bit more about what you are doing and how you are doing it and maybe we can help point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm usually taping punk and hardcore shows in small clubs from 600 people capacity up to 1100 at most which isn't often. The recorder I'm putting it in the center of the balcony steady mounted. I saw that mic because in a Greek store and I will save some extra cost from the custom charges. That's why I skipped the sound professionals. But anyway feel free to suggest me mics up to 250euros and I will then check if I can find them in Greece in order to avoid custom charges. If you need any other I fo let me know. Thanks in advance.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com