Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cutting your own windscreens  (Read 4555 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Cutting your own windscreens
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »
Has anyone here done this?
I was thinking about making my own for the windyest venues, like red rocks, but I could not find a decent source of foam.

Any hints appreciated!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cutting your own windscreens
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
closed-cell foam will kill treble, I think you want to try to find Open-cell foam for this use.

that said, we have had some OK results with homemade screens made from lawnmower muffler foam, I think it was. Kinda blue and fairly stiff.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-698369-Filter-Element/dp/B0035QAA6K
like this air filter foam maybe?

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
If you're going to record outside at venue's like Red Rocks often, I'd just shell out for the Big Ass Shure's. I've had to physically hold on to my mic stand at Red Rocks before to keep it from flying away. No wind noise on my recording with these.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68646-REG/Shure_A81WS_A81WS_Windscreen_for.html

Kind of pricey, but worth it IMO.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
Heh, I sort of do both.  When recording with the tiny DPA 4098 hypercards outdoors I use open-cell foam-inserts from hair curlers (Dollar Tree pack of 8 for a buck, correct size with no cutting required) sort of as a bulk-up bushing which fits perfectly inside the big Shure A81WS.  The Shure's are the king of foam wind noise reduction and work great, the hair curler foams just adapt them to work on the tiny mics.

You might also check out the now popular Movo windscreens which are less costly than the Shures.  Not sure how the wind-noise reduction compares for really windy stuff, but they make furred versions which are probably the most appropriate version for high wind conditions.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
jb63- I understand the want/need to build your own windscreens, I've tried it myself several times. After achieving mediocre results, I broke down and bought a pair of Big Ass Sures. These are the screens you often see on televised outdoor press conferences and other public events. Once you see how they're designed, you'll understand why foam-only windscreens are less effective. The Sure has an inner cage that separates the foam from the mic, creating an air gap around the capsule that's virtually stagnant .

One of the better taping investments I've made, worth the $$$ for Sure.  :wink2:
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
The Shures have a larger-pore foam core inside the tighter-pore foam wind turbulence blocking outer layer, along with a more elastic type foam cuff at the opening.  It's a way of retaining high wind noise reduction while reducing the high frequency attenuation effects that would occur from using all the same tight-pore foam.  The coarser inner foam is closer to that of plastic filter screening found on the intakes of pond pumps and air conditioner filters.

My take is this- if you just need minor wind protection, home made foam screens can work, but make sure the foam you use is acoustically transparent enough while providing sufficient wind noise reduction.  For significant wind, it's usually worth going with a professionally made product.  The Movo's are very inexpensive and a new popular favorite here at TS.  The Shures are well proven workhorses and the one to beat or emulate.  If you need a high level of wind protection and really want to do it DIY, it's probably best to go with faux-fur covers over a foam screen (the more open, coarser foam would be better under fur than standard small-pore foam), or try to do a DIY a plastic basket type screen with a fur cover (with only the plastic mesh and air under the fur).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
The Shure has an inner cage that separates the foam from the mic, creating an air gap around the capsule that's virtually stagnant .

Yes this is a good point- one way that windscreens help is to allow the mic element to be within a little spot of otherwise-still air so the diaphragm is only moved by sounds, not by wind.

I was advised to use the DPA 0896 screens for my KM140s, and when putting them on, slide it all the way onto the mic, then slide it BACK about a half inch, to leave a half-inch gap where the air will be held still.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282432-REG/DPA_Microphones_UA0896_UA0896_Windscreen_for_0_75.html

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
If you're going to record outside at venue's like Red Rocks often, I'd just shell out for the Big Ass Shure's. I've had to physically hold on to my mic stand at Red Rocks before to keep it from flying away. No wind noise on my recording with these.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68646-REG/Shure_A81WS_A81WS_Windscreen_for.html

Kind of pricey, but worth it IMO.

Agreed with Mike and Gut on this: the Big-Ass Shures are the screens to get for the windiest conditions.  I'm currently trying the Movos and they seem pretty good but I haven't had them in a "gale-force" situation yet like the Shures, which I have and know will do the job.  I've also had the DPA 0896 screens and, while they'll work for indoors and very-light/no wind situations outdoors, they're not up to snuff for medium-low/medium outdoor winds.  Tried the DPAs with some of the homemade dead-rat solutions as well and they didn't cut it by a long-shot either. 

Good wind screens are worth the investment, IMHO, as it's very difficult or impossible to get rid of wind noise and phasing in post.  My 2 cents. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
The Movos have a cool appearance, which is no acoustic concern but counts for something, and their fabric outer layer on the non-furry version seems like it would provide some abrasion protection.  My Big Shures are due for replacement, being pretty beat and pockmarked at this point, so I'm careful not to rub them overly hard causing the foam doesn't shed.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Wow!
Thanks! This is all great stuff!
I'm going to have to cut some stuff out of my bag this Summer because it has gotten REALLY heavy! Why are the best preamps so damn heavy?

I can't keep up, but I will post some pictures soon so you guys can laugh at me. I want to be done by the 20th, because apparently, it is summer!
If I wanted to buy a bunch of furry fabric, does anyone have a link to where I could order some? Its going to be a weird Summer for sure!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »

I'm currently trying the Movos and they seem pretty good but I haven't had them in a "gale-force" situation yet like the Shures, which I have and know will do the job...

"Nearly-Gale-force" situation for me a couple of months ago, swirling winds on a cruise ship.

Two windy shows convinced me the MOVO WSTT50's for my NAK omnis did their job, and were a great buy at 18 bucks apiece.

So far so good.  Make great tapes, y'all.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
^  Good to know, capn, thanks for the field report.  I rarely use omnis, usually cards or supercards, so that's my litmus test. 

Offline Taper Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wusupwitit?
    • what I've posted on archive
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
I cut arms off stuffed animals and run them over open cell foam wind screens. Over my ca-14s w their wind screens. No problems, I hear the rain on umbrella more than wind noise.
"The thing about choosing the lesser of two evils is that your still choosing evil." JG

Offline morst

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:21:42 PM »
I cut arms off stuffed animals

sounds totally cute-cruel.   :really_sucks:

pictures?  :spam:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com