Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: weird... any ideas?  (Read 8971 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
weird... any ideas?
« on: November 27, 2002, 06:23:35 PM »
So I got out my gear to go tape a show tonight and I cannot get my D8 to get signal from my MMe.

The bodies are plugged into the mme, phantom power is on, set at 16/48k.

I can play a tape from my DA-20 and get levels on the D8 and I can plug the spdif out of the MME into the DA-20 and get levels.

I'm just getting no love from my mme->d8. I've tried hitting record and then plugging in the oade cable. I've tried powering down the deck completely, leaving the oade plugged in and the mme running and turning on the d8. Still no love. Hmmmm I'm a bit perplexed at this point. I'm going to use the wall wart power with the D8 and see what happens. I can't imagine that would do anything but I'm desperate.

Looks like I should just by a DA-P1  ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
Re:weird... any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 10:16:25 PM »
sounds like an oade issue.  my first one fryed for no reason, so i bought a back up, and haven't had trouble with either on.

Tim

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 05:01:43 PM »
This is just so weird. I have used my minime succesfully with my 7pin and D8 a few times but had not used the pair for a few weeks. Got them out on Wed. night, plugged everything in and got a 'No Input' from the d8.

I ran the minime into one of my da20's and got signal from both the coax output and the aes output of the minime. I then ran da20->d8 and got signal on the d8 with no problem. After a few days of trying I am still getting the same results. Thinking that perhaps the da20 is just putting out more juice than the minime I tried splitting the output from my da20 in an effort to reduce the signal output and the d8 still gets signal just fine.

I'm starting to get annoyed and I felt the need to vent.. I think it's the Oade but why would it work with my da20 and not my minime???

Tim

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 10:37:10 PM »
This is just so weird. I have used my minime succesfully with my 7pin and D8 a few times but had not used the pair for a few weeks. Got them out on Wed. night, plugged everything in and got a 'No Input' from the d8.

I ran the minime into one of my da20's and got signal from both the coax output and the aes output of the minime. I then ran da20->d8 and got signal on the d8 with no problem. After a few days of trying I am still getting the same results. Thinking that perhaps the da20 is just putting out more juice than the minime I tried splitting the output from my da20 in an effort to reduce the signal output and the d8 still gets signal just fine.

I'm starting to get annoyed and I felt the need to vent.. I think it's the Oade but why would it work with my da20 and not my minime???

Tim

w00k

t
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Tim

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 12:04:04 AM »
this one slid under my radar... I'd fire back but Trey is hooking me up on NYE.. come January 2nd though I'm flaming his ass!

Tim

Tim

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 12:05:19 AM »
Oh yeah since Doug never wrote me back I bit the bullet and bought a new Oade 7-pin. Slapped it on the credit card so I won't have to see it until January comes and my next check from Uncle Sam arrives...

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 04:31:33 PM »
lousy unCLE SAM!!! ::choking noises::

Tim

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 10:03:03 PM »
No, no I am a student... Uncle Sam is my friend... everyone pay your taxes so I can my get loans to cover what my shcolarship doesn't!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 04:47:13 AM »
taxes?...we don't need no shtinking TAXES!...

screw it man...i say we make Saddam pay everyone's taxes this year...

anyone here work at the UN?...

can i get a resolution here?!...

8)

Tim

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 07:01:04 PM »
I know you all are sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for the resolution of my little problem. Today is your lucky day, my new passive cable showed up today and it works fine with the s/dif output on the mme. If I lug an xlr->rca into the aes I get a copy prohibit. Guess I'll buck up and try a canare converter after NYE.

Tim

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
(Channel Status) was Re:weird... any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 10:23:29 PM »
Hi Tim and All,

While I'm still not sure why you weren't getting signal when using the coaxial output from the Mini Me, I can explain why you will probably never get anything but a "copy probibit" message from the D8 taking the AES/EBU output from any device.

One of the differences in the AES/EBU specification as compared to the S/PDIF is the "channel status" bit.  A true AES/EBU signal carries a "Professional channel status" whereas a S/PDIF signal carries "consumer channel status."  This is somewhat confusing because many may think of professional as good and consumer as bad--NOT true in this case.  Consumer channel status carries SCMS information and provided that it is the 00 or 11 code, we can record from it.  Professional channel status, however, does not pass SCMS information and the D8/7/100 will default to "copy prohibit" since it effectively sees nothing.  M-1s are not prone to this problem.  

We first experienced this issue with the Graham-Patten ADC and DMIC 20's before working with them to change the channel status from professional to consumer.  I have heard similar issues with a few AD-1000's, a lot of AD500's, and the earliest AD2K's (which were all changed with a firmware modification).

Happy Recording,

Marc

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
(Channel Status (cont.) was Re:weird... any ideas?
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2002, 10:29:55 PM »
Tim (and All),

I forgot to mention that an AES/EBU>S/PDIF converter will NOT change this issue at all.  They only change impedance from 110 Ohm to 75 Ohm.

I'm glad to hear that replacing the cable solved at least part of the problem.

Happy Recording,

Marc

Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 05:15:26 AM »
Thanks Marc... I knew there was some sort of conusmer/proffesional issue. See you around town sometime!

Tim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com