Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pondering selling the R4..what are my portable multi track options?  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Pondering selling the R4..what are my portable multi track options?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
R44 is pretty much scaled down version of the R4 without the harddrive.  It would be a direct replacement for your R4 if paired with a 32GB card.  R44 is a straight-forward 4 channel machine in the traditional sense.  I use an Oade Concert Modded version, skip the external preamp and power it with a DVD battery.  The recorder and battery together are smaller than the R4 alone. Great full featured machine that isn't too large.

The DR2d strong points are mostly small size and cost and not needing an external battery.  The DR2d is far smaller still (its a pocketable hand-held) but is really a totally different animal-  3.5mm inputs only, no phantom, more difficult to adjust gain, and not really designed as a 4 channel machine with that as a primary function.  It's more of an R09 that can also record a second pair with some gain adjustment limitations.  I've replaced two R09s with DR2ds.  Two sync'd pairs of channels in one pocket.

SD744 is 4 channel, different dimensions but about the size of the R44, and is built to Sound Devices quality standards at a significantly higher price- one limitation compared to the R44 is that it has only two built-in preamps.

Most if not all of these machines which have XLR inputs use XLR - 1/4"TRS combo jacks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
from above:

' I've replaced two R09s with DR2ds.  Two sync'd pairs of channels in one pocket.'

how does 2 x dr2 sync up? 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »
I previously used two R09s and would have to align and stretch the  two stereo files to sync them.  The DR2d gives me 'two sync'd pairs of channels in one pocket' via one recorder.   The second DR2d serves simply as a spare and an alternate machine for other uses.  The two don't sync together- if they did it would be pretty cool have 8 synced channels.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
Someone is going to make a good chunk of money when they release a 2 or 4 channel pocket recorder that allows an arbitrary number of units to time-sync via cable.  If done as part of the design, I don't think it would be an expensive feature.

It's possible on some designs that a mod could be done to allow this.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
You'd think.  I've been wishing for that feature since the R09 first came out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com