Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omnis with HF boost  (Read 7153 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Omnis with HF boost
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
muj, you bring up an important if subtle point. For "distance compensation" I prefer the rising 0-degree response to reach a plateau or "shelf" rather than to drop back down again within the audible range. In Schoeps-centric terms, the MK 2 S is my preference for semi-distant (or more distant) recording rather than the MK 2 or 2 H, which seem to me better suited for relatively close miking, such as in studios.

For those who like to "live on the edge" (shout out to Dr. Noah), the MK 3/MK 2 XS has the "rising and staying up" type of on-axis response curve as well.

The MK 5 in its omni setting rises on axis and stays up across a broad range, but with less elevation and an earlier onset than the MK 2 S or XS. This gives it a different flavor from any of the single-pattern omnis, and is in keeping with its "universal" character. (BTW the pattern switch on the MK 5 is recessed such that the KA 40 add-on sphere can be used on it--make sure that the switch is set to omni, though!)

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:32:59 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 09:26:47 PM »
I was able to EQ the 4060 recording to sound almost indistinguishable from the 4006 recording

I would love to hear those clips. I assume the mics were pretty close to the performers?

FOUND IT!  I had saved everything from that old DPA page, including a PDF of the page itself.  All of the original FLAC files are here, plus one labeled "AB-4060EQ" which is my EQ of the 4060 track to get it to sound as close as possible to the 4006 track.  I just used the ReaEQ module in Reaper for this, and included screenshots of my EQ band settings.

I now own much more revealing headphones than I did when I did this EQ-ing, so I can hear more of a difference between the 4006 and 4060EQ tracks than I remembered hearing.  I would say that they still sound rather close.  I'll let you all be the judge.

https://we.tl/t-w5HmLacrue
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
^ Bumping this because the transfer expires in 5 days.  Please grab the files, and let me know what you think of the EQ'd 4060 track.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
Just did thanks.  I think I remember listening back when, maybe.

Anyway, listening now with cheapo Samsung phone ear-buds, I'm unable to detect much tonal difference overall, but hear a difference in on-axis vs off-axis response of the larger capsules compared to the miniature 4060.  Timbre of the reverberant pickup sounds similar (which is what I'd expect with your EQ adjustment curve), while on-axis detail is increased in the larger diaphragm omnis (also what I would expect).

If I get a chance to listen more critically on the good phones over the weekend I'll come back to post my impressions.

Too bad those samples aren't up on the current DPA website.  Great example of the difference in stereo pickup between the different stereo mic configurations.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
Just did thanks.  I think I remember listening back when, maybe.

Anyway, listening now with cheapo Samsung phone ear-buds, I'm unable to detect much tonal difference overall, but hear a difference in on-axis vs off-axis response of the larger capsules compared to the miniature 4060.  Timbre of the reverberant pickup sounds similar (which is what I'd expect with your EQ adjustment curve), while on-axis detail is increased in the larger diaphragm omnis (also what I would expect).

If I get a chance to listen more critically on the good phones over the weekend I'll come back to post my impressions.

Too bad those samples aren't up on the current DPA website.  Great example of the difference in stereo pickup between the different stereo mic configurations.

Thanks for your comments.  Sure, you're not going to turn a 4060 into a 4006, with the very different polar response.  I think the fact that they can sound as close as they do is quite remarkable.

I miss the old DPA website every time I visit the new, glitzy one that has removed great content like these samples, and is in general much less user-friendly. 
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:18 PM »
I miss the old DPA website every time I visit the new, glitzy one that has removed great content like these samples, and is in general much less user-friendly.

it seems everytime i go there they have removed specs or something else. they are all in on the theater and vocal mic market it seems
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
FOUND IT!  I had saved everything from that old DPA page, including a PDF of the page itself.  All of the original FLAC files are here, plus one labeled "AB-4060EQ" which is my EQ of the 4060 track to get it to sound as close as possible to the 4006 track.  I just used the ReaEQ module in Reaper for this, and included screenshots of my EQ band settings.

I now own much more revealing headphones than I did when I did this EQ-ing, so I can hear more of a difference between the 4006 and 4060EQ tracks than I remembered hearing.  I would say that they still sound rather close.  I'll let you all be the judge.

Thanks! I haven't had the chance to listen yet, but I downloaded the files last night.

they are all in on the theater and vocal mic market it seems

I don't think that's the case at all. Recent years have seen DPA completely re-vamp both their SDC line with the modular series (and accessories) and their instrument mic line. There are many more offerings for a wider range of applications now, I think.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
that was now about a decade ago that they went modular. mmp-g was developed around 2016 i believe. that would be the last new ‘instrument mic’ in sdc at least. everything since that has been theater and vocal mics based around miniature capsules.

the b&k style SDCs are largely a stagnant legacy product line it seems. all the r&d is based on their own miniature capsules (and miniature capsules used in the SDC-sized housings like the 2000 series.) As far as I understand B&K still makes the SDC capsules and the one large diameter 4041. But DPA makes all the miniatures and the electronics behind both mics (which circuit critics claim is nothing special).

Remember DPA got bought out by that Italian company within the last 2 years, so marketing focus often shifts. I spoke with a rep last year who said they were going to be growing their 2000 series 4000 series and 6000 series but we haven’t seen many new things come out since then just the 2028 vocal mic. Which is exactly what he described to me was coming, a lower-cost version of the 4018 vocal mic with the non-critical parts manufactured in China instead of Denmark. Presumably there will be a whole line of 2000 series Lavs that will be cheaper than the 4060s at some point. He did allude to some premium new SDC/LDC options that they would call 6000 series but I haven’t heard anything about this in a year now. maybe they will rebrand the 4041 as 6000 series? I may be misunderstanding it but if what he told me his correct it makes their nomenclature even more confusing because you have both miniatures and SDCs in the same ‘thousands’ series. and while the 606x mics are super tiny, they are not really better performance wise than the 406x.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »
The 4099 instrument mics were introduced around 2009, the modular SDC series started shipping at the very end of 2011 or beginning of 2012, the 4018 caps came out in 2013, the MMP-ER/S and G was around 2016, and the CORE line and d:vice were 2017 or 2018. Give or take. Plus many accessories. That's a pretty steady stream of new products, in my opinion.   

[EDIT TO ADD: My point, which I didn't make very clearly, is that I think DPA has been looking to expand it's range of customers, as opposed to shifting from one market segment to another. Pretty much the same as Sound Devices introducing the MixPre series to appeal to a less professional crowd or Zoom introducing the F series to gain some traction among a more professional group while still producing a range of products in their traditional niche.]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 03:56:00 PM by aaronji »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
agreed. for example the d:vice being aimed at newsshooters. thats still a good 7 years since the last new SDC tho (which isnt that odd, as all the major mfrs are leaning on decades-old designs)

when did the 4017 shotgun come out?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:28:32 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
At the risk of turning this thread into Team DPA...

I think both aaronjj and jerryfreak make good points.  DPA has been doing some steady innovation (dare I say, more than most other top-tier mic brands), but there has not been al that much new going on in the SDC 4000 series.  Maybe that's because those mics are already state of the art, (and also the most expensive products they make), so DPA is pouring more resources into expanding their established theater and PA lines.  It's not like people don't buy the 4000 series anymore; they are there if you want them.

I do find it curious that they have never had a fig8 or subcardioid in the series, to compete with Schoeps or Sennheiser MKH.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
when did the 4017 shotgun come out?

If I recall correctly, the single piece (non-modular) 4017 came out four or five years before they introduced the modular line. 2007? 2008? Again if I recall correctly, the modular version came out a year or two after that line debuted.

I do find it curious that they have never had a fig8 or subcardioid in the series, to compete with Schoeps or Sennheiser MKH.

4015. That cap has been available in single piece, compact, and modular versions for quite some years.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »

4015. That cap has been available in single piece, compact, and modular versions for quite some years.

Not sure how I missed that one; thanks.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com