Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denon 2910 issues  (Read 3505 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Denon 2910 issues
« on: October 22, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
This used to be popular around here. Years ago. It was a great 2 channel universal audio playback machine. Still use mine, however lately it's hit or miss with CD's. Some load, some don't. Still plays DVDA and SACD fine.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Denon 2910 issues
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 10:30:03 AM »
Is it hit or miss with both commercial CDs and burned CDRs, or are you noticing a preference towards commercial discs? If so, it could signal a degradation of CDRs. However, given the age of the unit and its ability to play the other types, it suggests the CD lens may have debris or buildup on it. The way the lens sit horizontally facing up basically acts as a collective trap for dust and debris over time. Can you open it to access the CD lens for a wipe/cleaning? This has worked for me in the past on other models, but it also signaled the near-end of the player's life, your mileage may vary, of course.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:31:38 AM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 08:13:56 AM »
It will play commercial CD's occasionally. If the player sits dormant for a few days, it won't play any commercial CD's. If I run a few SACD's thru it, it will play some commercial CD's, but not all. It will play any CDR or DVDR of any age, no problem. Weird, I know. I sprayed some air in thru the open door and that didn't help. I really don't want to take it apart to get at the lens. Most of the forums say the cd lens needs to be replaced, not the SACD lens. I guess the SACD lens is playing the burned stuff? I'll replace the whole thing before I start messing around with a laser. It's pretty old.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:28:33 PM by ts »

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
It will play commercial CD's occasionally. If the player sits dormant for a few days, it won't play any CD's. If I run a few SACD's thru it, it will play some commercial CD's, but not all. Weird, I know. I sprayed some air in thru the open door and that didn't help. I reeally don't want to take it apart to get at the lens. Most of the forums say the cd lens needs to be replaced. I'll replace it before I do that. It's pretty old.
I don't think you will be able to find that part, but good luck.
Melanie and Bob

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Dried lubricant in the spindle drive chain or "laser rot" ?

Troubleshoot mechanicals first...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 10:39:03 PM »
It will play commercial CD's occasionally. If the player sits dormant for a few days, it won't play any commercial CD's. If I run a few SACD's thru it, it will play some commercial CD's, but not all. It will play any CDR or DVDR of any age, no problem. Weird, I know. I sprayed some air in thru the open door and that didn't help. I really don't want to take it apart to get at the lens. Most of the forums say the cd lens needs to be replaced, not the SACD lens. I guess the SACD lens is playing the burned stuff? I'll replace the whole thing before I start messing around with a laser. It's pretty old.

I have a 3910 I got at a Estate sale and when I got it it wouldn't play SACD's but CDs, DVDs worked - I took off the cover and very lightly cleaned the lens with a cotton ball - this fixed play back completely and I have never had a problem sense.  Maybe I got lucky...
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 12:57:24 AM »
This happened recently to two old players of mine. I bought one of these for less than $7 and it actually worked cleaning them so they have played ever since!
https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-Effective-Feature-Station-190048/dp/B000001OM5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=cd+player+cleaner&qid=1653281736&sr=8-3
Maxell Safe and Effective Feature CD Player and Game Station Compact Disc Cleaner CD-340 190048 CD/CD-ROM Laser Lens Cleaner - CD Lens Cleaner
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com