Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode Technical Support story...  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Rode Technical Support story...
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
I though I would share my expereinces about the technical support I recieved from Rode in hopes someone might have answers to my questions.  I have removed the name of the paticular Rode representative.  This person was extreamly helpful in a warranty repair....  So yeah, Rode's warranty is fantastic, their technical support, not so much:

Me:
Hello,
Will the Rode NT6 opperate with as little as 18v phantom?

Rode:
Hi , you will need 48V of phantom power to get the any of our condenser microphones to work.

Me:
Thanks for the response..  I also appreciate the quick warranty exchange for my NT6 pair.  The new ones are working great....

That said, I am not terribly satisfied with the response about the phantom power.  Typically most condensers (with a few power hungry exceptions) will operate on quite a bit less than 48v with some performance degradation (dynamic range reduced).   Secondly, the documentation for several of your condenser microphones indicates that 48v, 24v and even 12v are acceptable.  The NT6 specification page on rodemic.com indicates the 24v phantom is acceptable too...

As I am sure you are aware, many portable field mixers only provide 18v phantom.  This is usually adequate for most SDC's…  I was hoping to get some clarification as to the performance of the NT6 at lower phantom supply voltages before I take these in the field…

In previous requests for technical information regarding the NT5/55/6 line I have had little success and conflicting information.  Perhaps the folks in AU aren't that divulgent with their information?  If you are so inclined to investigate, here are items that have had conflicting responses or are unknown…

-         Availability of additional capsule patterns as outlined in the NT6 manual
* Rode email says hyper cap not out yet
* Rode phone says additional caps never made it to production, never will….

-         Difference in noise specs and frequency response between NT5/55 and NT6
* Different electronics for NT6
* Electronics are identical, remote cable assembly is the culprit…

-         Availability of replacement remote cables in different sizes
Finding a female mini-xlr with 3 pins and a shield is almost impossible…

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about your warranty operation there in California.  If you could find anything additional about the phantom requirements I would appreciate it…

Thanks

Rode:
I checked on the specs for the NT6 and you’re correct it will operate with a minimum of 24V phantom power.  As far as the other specifications are concerned I’ve once again sent a request for that information.  When I receive it I’ll pass it on to you. 

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com