Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 135016 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
Tested track splitting capability tonight.  Totally seamless!  Details added to the end of the review.

stevetoney

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
Does the hold switch lock the level adjustment?

The hold switch DOES NOT lock level adjustment.  Seems to lock almost everything else though.  I'll do a detailed test and review and put it in the report.

stevetoney

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
I have the DR100, exact same case except for some minor changes. In regards to the wireless remote I covered up the sensor on the unit with black electrical tape. At some shows I recorded in the taper section there were 1 or 2 other DR100's. If someone messed with the wireless remote they could screw up other decks.

DR2d has a menu setting which enables/disables use of the IR remote.  Not sure if that is the case with this machine.

Doesn't ring a bell, but I'll double check.

I got 5 1/2 hours run time from the internal Li-ion...backlight off, internal directional mics on, 24/48.  Not bad at all, AFAIC.

I need to make a correction on my earlier response about having the ability to disable the remote.  The menu has three choices that control what's going on with that 2.5mm jack.  The choices are:

digi-in
RC-10 remote
footswitch

The first selection is made for digital input recording.  The second selection is made to use the remote either in wireless or wired mode.  The final selection is for an optional footswitch.

Even though it's not specifically identified in the menu as such, if you choose the third selection, you can disable the remote.  Confirmed through testing.

I'll update the review to address this.

stevetoney

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
I know that the Li-ion battery will charge from a USB connection. Can you power the unit itself from a USB connection?

Nope.  Explanation and photo added.  Basically it's just like other recorders...once you connect the USB to the PC, it acts like a separate drive for downloading files from the recorder but recorder functionality is disabled.

Not true Steve.  There is a work around.  Press Record first, THEN plug in the external USB battery pack.  You'll continue to record while charging the Lithium on the fly.  No "USB Connect" screen.  I perfected this at Wanee a few years ago with my DR-1, which runs the same battery.   A simple cheapo USB AA battery pack had that puppy running 11 hours.  Hot swapping made easy.  NOTE:  if you Stop your recording, the "USB Connect" screen will come up, but no fears, your recording will be saved.

Give it a try Steve when you get a chance.  Thanks again.  :)

Confirmed to be same for DR100mkII.  Also confirmed that file is not lost.

Thanks for the workaround Dan. 

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Tascam DR100mkII Review
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Have you taped a show with it??
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
The hold switch DOES NOT lock level adjustment.  Seems to lock almost everything else though.  I'll do a detailed test and review and put it in the report.

Does it lock out the IR remote?  Hold switch on the DR2d does not, which is a nice feature IMO.  See below..

The menu has three choices that control what's going on with that 2.5mm jack.  The choices are:

digi-in
RC-10 remote
footswitch

The first selection is made for digital input recording.  The second selection is made to use the remote either in wireless or wired mode.  The final selection is for an optional footswitch.

Even though it's not specifically identified in the menu as such, if you choose the third selection, you can disable the remote.  Confirmed through testing.

That implies that the IR remote may be disabled if digital input recording mode is selected.  Is that the case? I've found it very convenient to be able to lock-down the DR2d with the hold switch and then use the IR remote to stop/start recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »

Does it lock out the IR remote?  Hold switch on the DR2d does not, which is a nice feature IMO.  See below..

No, does NOT lock-out IR remote or wired remote.   :coolguy:

The menu has three choices that control what's going on with that 2.5mm jack.  The choices are:

digi-in
RC-10 remote
footswitch

That implies that the IR remote may be disabled if digital input recording mode is selected.  Is that the case? I've found it very convenient to be able to lock-down the DR2d with the hold switch and then use the IR remote to stop/start recording.

Good news.  The remote is operable in both wired and wireless modes when digi-in is selected also.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:11:34 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »
I've updated the review to add checking out the remote.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
I'll be running mine @ New Deal two nights next week....V2 >

Can't wait!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »
Mark, can you try running straight in for one set?
The opener perhaps, if there is one? I know a ton of us are curious about
the spls/distortion/brickwalling of running straight into the stock pres.
Thanks for the reviews Steve and hopefully Mr.T

-todd
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

stevetoney

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
Mark, can you try running straight in for one set?
The opener perhaps, if there is one? I know a ton of us are curious about
the spls/distortion/brickwalling of running straight into the stock pres.
Thanks for the reviews Steve and hopefully Mr.T

-todd

Todd.  My first night out with the recorder in a venue will be in a week, so if nobody has tested the pre's by then, I'll run the opening set straight through the internal preamp to see what we get. 

I've got the rest of the year off, so I think I'll do a basement music test in the meantime.  Even though I don't really like that method of testing, I'm losing patience to find out a little more about what they sound like.  ;)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
First independent published preamp test : http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

The equivalent input noise level of the DR100mkII is pegged at -119 dBu.  The older DR100 tests out at -113 dBu.  Since the dB scale is logarithmic, a 6 dB improvement is substantial, certainly a difference you can hear in a recording if you're using decent mics.

The DR100mkII results put it in good company.  The old Edirol R-09HR scores -118 dBu, the Sony PCM-M10 -120 dBu.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Just for the record, the Sony M10 result depends on how it's set.

SONY PCM-M10
(SENSE HI, LEVEL 10)    -122dBu

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I ran a stereo mic XLR IN into the DR-100mkii with phantom power on. It got about 3 1/4 hours out of the fully-charged lithium battery.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:10:56 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »
^^^ Interesting!  What is the current consumption of the mics you used?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com