Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring my recordings to CD using Mac  (Read 2226 times)

Offline The Reverend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transferring my recordings to CD using Mac
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
Hi,
I used to tape loads in the 1980s and have a great set of Metal/Chrome analog masters which I'd now like to transfer to CD. I have no standalone CD recorder so it'd have to be in conjunction with my Mac. I own a superb tape deck which really draws out the best from my recordings so, the question is, how do I best get these recordings from the deck to the Mac? And when they're on the Mac how do I best "improve" the sound and then transfer to tracked CD (I already have Titanium Toast 10 if that helps). Money's tight so if anyone can suggest not only a method but also what free Mac software is available to do the job, I'd be eternally grateful!
Cheers people!
The Rev

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Transferring my recordings to CD using Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »
If you own a recent Mac (Macbook/Macbook Pro) I'm under the impression that the A>D converter is pretty decent.

Don't see any reason you can just run a RCA Out > 1/8" cable into your Mac.

As for software Audacity is free and pretty easy to use.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline The Reverend

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
Thanks for that. I have an iMac in fact (shoulda mentioned that before), does it have audio inputs?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »
Thanks for that. I have an iMac in fact (shoulda mentioned that before), does it have audio inputs?

Sure...

http://store.apple.com/us/tab?node=home/shop_mac/family/imac&tcid=tg_tabcontroller&tab=1

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:11 AM »
Hey Reverend!

I've got a ton of compact-cassette based media myself and this is quite interesting to hear of someone going through this. (I am also a Mac user)

I daresay this topic will snowball in replies regarding clean-up software, but I think I can offer what I would consider to be a golden nugget of info. regarding the process of inbound transfer.- Leave the NR off.

What did you record this footage on originally? And did you use noise reduction? I used to tape alot on my Sony Pro Walkmans and even with the liscenced Dolby circuitry I couldn't get Dolby compatibility with any of my other domestic decks on B or C. The impact it had made a significant dent in the top end spectral footprint of the material and the best outcome was to run without.

If you leave this off for playback, you have the option to do something about it with the more powerful dynamic abilities of software based notch filters and suchlike (but that is perhaps for someone else to advise you on) the key thing is to transfer- "noise" and all! You can clean-up what has already been compressed. I don't think it's worth the signal degredation to lose the hiss...

What deck have you got for playback...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »

If you are gonna transfer casette masters please transfer them in 24bit either 24/44.1 or 24/48 (DVD audio samples at this rate) of 24/96 then do a SRC and rediter if necessary.

I would still use some kind of USB or Fire wire device to convert the audio - MOTU products work great- love my Ultralite!
ther is a new mackie Onyx blackjack- have not used it

I still find the best most trouble frre way for a transfer is to use a standalone Flash based recorder  ( I use my Fostex FR2-LE over the MOTU- but that was with my old iBook- and have yet to try it with my iMac)
you could try a sony M-10 to trasnsfer then pop the MicroSD into an SD card adapter and plug it into your iMac
I would strongly suggest 24bit transfers! - which is easy to do with either of the two methods listed above:

then use the software of your choice

I was using an older version of audacity, but it did not do well when converting sample rates and dither.. it added a small amount of silence to the end of each track when going from 24/48 to 16/44.1

I now am using
Wave Editor  (designed for Mac) by
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/
it is free for 2 weeks then $79
the main advantage is that it license izotope SRC
Wave Editor incorporates iZotope's industry best 64-bit SRC™ and MBIT+™ dither. We also have incorporated iZotope's SonicFit™ time/pitch technology. This ensures that Wave Editor delivers the highest fidelity and the best value on the market.

you can try it for free  there are some things I wish it had - like better use of keyboard shortcuts for zooming on the wave form and to add a track marker, but once you get it its simple and works great.

also I always use xACT to convert to waves to FLAC ( oh yes save a wav files it's easier for many things over AIFF files- like I used to do)  when your files are in Flac form - you can use xACT to write meta data and peropely name and tag each track.
then you can drop your flac's right into toast and burn direct to CD- and now your cd tracks will have all the cd tsxt and other meta data associated with your recordings - such as you, and source info etc.

you might also post or at least read on the team Mac thread here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136616.240

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.299 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com